• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
That's really nice mate, it looks so crisp, yet natural... The plants that you have mentioned as well would work brilliantly too - I definitely think that the wood suits that rock work. The rocks were good alone, but now with the wood they compliment each other very nicely.

Yep, absolutely brilliant!
Put down the hardscape, pick up the phone and order the plants :)....and maybe one more piece of manzy for the top as an emergent piece?, Unless youve got plans for an emergent plant up there?
No amount of photographs will get that the same again if you descape it so if your happy I'd go with this.....there is in fact something for everyone as its out of your comfort zone and your happy with it too.
Top class.

The hardscape is looking really good, the obvious consideration now is the plants and planting that wont end up obscuring most of that layout.

I always end up doing rock and wood hardscape, it never feels right without the both. Just my taste, but that is why I like this one.

Thanks, guys. :)

Plants will all remain short and fine in texture. As suggested the hardscape is the highlight and shouldn't be obscured excessively. The fine textures will help maintain a good sense of scale.

I'm thinking three varieties of hairgrass (E. 'mini', parvula, acicularis) and moss (maybe weeping and/or spiky).

I usually put crypts in all of my 'scapes but I think these will spoil the sense of scale with their larger leaves, with the possible exception of C. parva.

Other plant suggestions welcome, bearing mind the brief with regards staying short and fine textures. Perhaps a focal point plant amongst the two large rocks on the right - Microsorum 'micro' or 'Trident', perhaps? Perhaps a dash of red - Alternanthera 'Mini', H. "Araguaia"?

And we have a winner!

I reckon some amania bonsai would also be a good addition along the back. Maybe some Alternanthera rosaefolia mini orAlternanthera
reineckii 'Mini' to add a little something different to what would normally be a green scape, ime this stays more red than the Araguaia ....just an idea.

looks great really like the wood and the layout all together :clap:

kepp us updated
Dean

Wow George.... all that time away from the hobby and you settle right back into it with a scape like that! Well done mate.... hats off to you. Will be very interested to see the planting come together for this. Good ideas for the finer leave varieties. I've just used 'Araguaia' in a scape of my own and it sits well next to E 'mini'.

Reminiscent of Stu's layout.

That was my initial thought before George put this together.
Stu built an amazing hardscape i had hoped G. will pick up some of that direction with the wood.
However i like better this stone. And the whole layout is different than Stu's. :) So not scree not stu's scape something else but picking up nice things and elements from the bests.

Go with it George! You can play in your next scapes, but build this out please.
Let this be your easy ride (which isn't easy already :) ). Would be a great come back of the old folk :D
The frontal shot is very well balanced. Ratios are great. Perfect use of the hardscape and the soil.

Also if you're unhappy with it you have someone already who would love to pick it up and display it in a gallery :D

I'm thinking three varieties of hairgrass (E. 'mini', parvula, acicularis) and moss (maybe weeping and/or spiky).

I would also try something else than regular mosses. Try Riccardia with it's fine leaf, some fissidens etc. Bushy large mosses are harder to manage on a long term and will look too large in this small setup.

Grasses are great. This layout also would appreciate Staurogyne Repens or Porto Velho if you keep them short.

Thanks guys. I'm really pleased you all seem to like the hardscape as much as I do. Of course, I should be happy, as long as I like it, but the sense of approval is reassuring, so thank you. :)

Viktor - thanks for such in-depth feedback mate. To hear comments like that from a pro like you fills me with confidence. If I'm honest after an 8 month break it has taken a while to get back the creative juices, but I think they're flowing ok now.

Later this week I will put in my plant order, still TBD. I anticipate planting by the end of the month.

I will be using RO. I've used hard tap water with success for years but my last couple of scapes used RO, and I think my plants had an 'easier' time with it. I'll likely be stocking tetras too, so they prefer it softer. Another bonus is no limescale build up on the glass due to evaporation.

Definitely my favourite of those that you have posted! The fauna choice will also be interesting... Perhaps some micro Rasbora to further enhance the sense of scale?

Viktor - thanks for such in-depth feedback mate. To hear comments like that from a pro like you fills me with confidence

Nah i am far from pro :rolleyes: still on the learning curve mate. But i am glad if any of the comments are helpful.
The tank with these Manzanita pieces looks awesome. Sometimes a good hardscape will fade easily with plants, and the beauty lost as the plant over take the space, but with Scree you showed that already how to do this right. That's the reason why i look so much for this.:)

Back