• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Small interesting/unusual fishes - suggestions wanted

JEK

Hi guys!

I think I'll start a few small tanks (<60 l ) soon. They will be planted low-tech tanks with lots of wood and low-light plants. Since my tap water is quite hard, I plan on getting a RO filter, so I can control the water parameters easily. Do you have any ideas on the stocking? I'm looking for species with interesting behavior and/or unusual shapes. I already have some ideas in mind, but I'm looking forward to get suggestion from you guys.:)

Thanks for the suggestion, nayr88. Apistogrammas are lovely and it's very possible that I will keep apistos in at least one of the tanks.
If your using RO water then are you just looking for soft water species
I could just use tap water, if I want to keep hard water species.;) However I think the majority of interesting freshwater fish are soft water species.

If anyone have suggestions on really unusual species I would really appreciate it. I have probably already thought of all the obvious species.:)

Elassoma species, the American pygmy sunfishes. They need to be fed live food though and are temperate fish.
Betta species, any really. They're uncommon and very attractive.
Some of the rarer livebearers would be nice as well.

Yeah mate you HAVE to!! You could easily fill half a dozen tanks with apisto's.

How about a puffer tank? You could have a dozen dwarfs in a mega planted tank or I think it's a spotted or figure 8?

Elassoma species, the American pygmy sunfishes. They need to be fed live food though and are temperate fish.
Betta species, any really. They're uncommon and very attractive.
Some of the rarer livebearers would be nice as well.
YES!!
Please please try a type or 2 of wild betta

Non-annual killifish would be an excellent choice, just have tight fitting lids. Choose the apistos wisely as some will be quite aggressive to partners in small tanks and may need separating after spawning.

Thanks for you suggestions everyone!:)
Do you think a peaceful apisto couple and a few killis could work together in a 60 liter?

Thanks for you suggestions everyone!:)
Do you think a peaceful apisto couple and a few killis could work together in a 60 liter?

Depends on the length of the tank. If it's a 2ft long 60l tank then yeah that'd work great. Female apistos tend to defend an area of 12-15" when breeding around their cave so your tank would have room for the male and other fish to get out of the way. Add a dozen unusual tetras and a group of 1 or two species of killifish and you#ll have a great tank. I'd get a Chromaphyosemion species (bivittatum Funge is often available and a good choice) and then maybe Aphyosemion australe Gold for a nice contrast and very different females so they won't cross, but you could have any very different species or just a larger group of one species. For the Apisto I'd look at cacatuoides or nijsenni as both can be found captive bred and I've found them to be tougher than some other species but still very attractive. Only get a pair of either species (nijsenni is pair forming anyway) and you don't want a trio of cacs in that size tank IMO as if both females breed at the same time there won't be much room for the other fish!

Depends on the length of the tank. If it's a 2ft long 60l tank then yeah that'd work great. Female apistos tend to defend an area of 12-15" when breeding around their cave so your tank would have room for the male and other fish to get out of the way. Add a dozen unusual tetras and a group of 1 or two species of killifish and you#ll have a great tank. I'd get a Chromaphyosemion species (bivittatum Funge is often available and a good choice) and then maybe Aphyosemion australe Gold for a nice contrast and very different females so they won't cross, but you could have any very different species or just a larger group of one species. For the Apisto I'd look at cacatuoides or nijsenni as both can be found captive bred and I've found them to be tougher than some other species but still very attractive. Only get a pair of either species (nijsenni is pair forming anyway) and you don't want a trio of cacs in that size tank IMO as if both females breed at the same time there won't be much room for the other fish!

C. bivittatum and A. australe looks fabulous! I'm not so fond of cacatuoides, but I like nijsenni. I've also been thinking about A. hongsloi or borellii...

Some good suggestions so far, I'd second looking at the many Betta species.

Also a few further suggestions -

Parosphromenus
Parasphaerichthys
Indostomus
Brachygobius
Biotecus
Dario
Any number of killifish (Terranatos doplichopterus are top my list)

Yeah, I will take a look at the bettas. I have considered B, imbellis, but I don't know so many other bettas. Guess I'll have to do some research.:D

Good suggestions, BigTom!:) Wow, Terranatos doplichopterus looks absolutely stunning. I can understand why it's on the top of your list.

Hi all,
Definitely Apistogramma in terms of interest.
or borellii...
Best for a small tank.
I like BigToms suggestions, and I'm still looking for some Dario's (any species) if any-one has both sexes?
Another one I like is the Dwarf Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila), easy to get and interesting to keep.
I'd get a Chromaphyosemion species (bivittatum Funge is often available and a good choice)
I like Killi's as well.
Please please try a type or 2 of wild betta
Betta channoides?

One slight problem is that all of these will need mainly live food. Another option which would be better with some live food (Grindal Worms are good and easy), would be any of the Dwarf Cories (Corydoras hastatus, C. pygmaeus & C. habrosus) or C. panda which is still fairly small.

cheers Darrel

galaxy rasboras are interesting.
Galaxy_Rasbora.jpg

Thanks for some very good suggestions, Darrel.
Rolexbene: They are very beautiful, but I think they might be a bit too lively to my taste. I tend to prefers calm, slow-swimming species.

I have always wanted Bumblebee Gobies for my hardwater tank, gorgeous little fish with lots of character. Unfortunately they are tricky feeders demanding live foods so not suitable for me. Worth a look as an interesting unusual fish.

Back