• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Discusdan,There is quite a few regulators on ebay all around that £35 mark give or take. Just wondering if they'll be up to the job.

The one you liked to is the cheapest reg I've seen with a solenoid. I've seen cheaper regs on their own but buy the time you add a decent solenoid its put the price up a fair bit.

as with all things cheap you pay your money and take your chances. I would imagine it would work ok but i suspect the quality wont be up to much and the after sale service and parts may be poor?
on the other hand it may be a total bargain!

I know a few people on here have this reg+solenoid and its gets pretty good reviews.

CO2 Regulator Solenoid Aquarium Home Brew Carbon Dioxide | eBay

Yep, I've had that reg for a few months now.
So far so good and hasn't caused me any problems so far.
Just make sure you have a spanner and wrench to properly tighten the FE to the Reg.

My wife though I had bought her a box of flowers. Turned out to be a 2kg FE! She wasn't impressed but in the case of a fire I know which one I would rather have. lol :)

hehandle.jpg
Hope you FE handle is like this, then no messing around with tape, cable ties holding the handle down :D

Thanks for all of the advice so far, and I think I'm ready to give this a shot.

I've come across this regulator and was looking for some advice?!? I looks like the right thing, and the price is good too

Dual Gauged SOLENOID regulator Co2 Magnetic Valve Plant Aquarium Manometer UK | eBay

Hey, Both this one and the other one look pretty similar. In fact I think they are the same brand as the one I have (in the picture above). I can't complain so far, especially for the price my system seems to be very consistent and leak free. Pleased with the results.

Just make sure to re-tighten the connection between the solenoid and needle valve before you set it up as sometimes they aren't fully tightened when you receive them.

Just a quick question for people that have the regulator from co2supermarket.

Can you adjust the output pressure on it?

Reason I ask is because I bought a regulator that looks to be exactly the same and I was expecting to be able to adjust the output pressure by the knob on the front, how ever this is fixed in place. I can adjust the flow by the thumb screw on the bottom, but it seems the pressure is fixed?

It seems to be working fine was just curious.

This is what mine looks like.

$(KGrHqV,!osFBZ8mfuOEBQbF)QIKww~~60_57.JPG

I have just got a Co2 Supermarket regulator and you can not adjust the output pressure. Mine is sitting at 50psi. If you have a bubble counter coming off the regulator you might want to have the gauges facing upwards so the outlet for the Co2 is pointing upwards.

95E69C7C-99DB-402B-B11D-A870818246C8-561-000000F9823EA804.jpg

I can buy pub co2 cylinder certified for 10 years for £100. theese have a pressure of 300 bar, are about 3 feet tall and cost around £15 to fill. people been using for welding diy and they could be used like a fire extinguisher
On the +side last much much longer between refils and cost about the same to fill
On the -side regulator costs more and higher pressure means MORE DANGER IN WRONG HANDS

Mythbusters did gas cylinder myth with a full size 300 bar cylinder against breezeblock wall and it didnt go right through even when they made a special frame to launch it from.so fire extinguisher very unlikley to make it out of cabinet but leaks when first pressurized could burn hands

You can't get CO2 gas to 300bar at room temp, it turns to liquid at about 50bar, thus adding more pressure does not get you any more gas. All CO2 cylinders are 50bar odd. 2/3 liquid 1/3 gas. Bet you have read the cylinder test pressure, but even so seems awfully high.

As for nitrogen, as used by Mythbusters it does not liquefy at room temperature no matter how much pressure you apply. 300bar is the normal non liquid gas pressure.

300 bar is test pressure just checked when filled full of liquid theres between 60 and 70 bar
There must be a reason why fe only filled 2/3 full and as for mythbustere gas bottle i might try a miny fe and see. chances are that it would spin round rather than take off as reg is on side not top like boc cylinders
Aceteylene are the most dangerous and there only filled to 15 bar

CO2 is only filled to 68% capacity to allow space for expansion if the bottle gets 'hot'. If you fill to say 90% odd then there is a chance that if say sat in hot car the pressure could rise enough to burst the over pressure release.

At 68% fill there is no chance that during normal use and maybe abuse of the pressure rising enough to burst the over pressure disk.

Back