• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FE and safety

Yes I have installed, for work FE's for purposes they we not intended and safety officer had no issues, other than making sure can't be knocked over (which is why FE's are wall hung or placed in a free standing holder. They were installed in 19" equipment racks, with a pipe to take CO2 to a solenoid valve and "meltable" pipe in top of rack. If there was a fire in the rack, the pipe melts and discharges the CO2, job done. Solenoid is necessary to isolate the CO2 when door was open. FE handle held shut with clamp. Job done. Absolutely no safety issues at all.

Guys/Gals

As the topic is for safety, and being a registered safety officer.
It is not ok to modify a FE and keeping the handle pressed down with a clamp or tape or zip tie etc is not safe.
How ever if you wish to take a FE and change its use and have a valve fitted instead of handle this is ok as long as it is tested by a registered company.

We take these things into a fire, so yeah they are pretty safe until you start chopping of the valve or drill holes in the bottle. And keep them upright when in use.

Just make sure that they get their checks every few years (assuming that the UK has these tests)

Have a nice day!
Lexy

Guys/Gals

As the topic is for safety, and being a registered safety officer.
It is not ok to modify a FE and keeping the handle pressed down with a clamp or tape or zip tie etc is not safe.
How ever if you wish to take a FE and change its use and have a valve fitted instead of handle this is ok as long as it is tested by a registered company.

Having just changed to an FE please can you say why it is not safe, how an accident might occur and what accidents have occurred when they have been used in this way?
What accidents can happen if an FE goes beyond its test date when discharging the FE in the way we do as opposed to filling it?
I don't doubt your expertise in this only that telling me just that its not ok does not allow me to make an informed choice.

Having just changed to an FE please can you say why it is not safe, how an accident might occur and what accidents have occurred when they have been used in this way?
Misusing an FE can cause you to fall off your chair, unless you are wearing the correct safety gear....

All that co2 going to waste brings a tear to my eyes, does look like fun though, think I will put my tank on wheels then if anything does go wrong it will just roll around the floor a bit.

Just picked up another 2 full 2kg FE with an use before date ;) of 2017 for the grand price of £10.50, I have now stockpiled enough for 2 years use at the current rate. :)

I got lucky with a local Ebay listing for those 2, starting price was £10.00, had one bid at that price then I jumped in with 5 secs to go.
The first 2kg one cost £10.00 but with £11.00 P&P :rolleyes:

There were a couple of different buy it now listings locally for other 2kg at £9.99 and £11.99 but I had to stop myself from buying more.

Its all DIY and using a fe or any pressurised cylinder should be treated with some modicum of respect. I have never before used any type of pressurised container before and just recently purchased a 2kg fe and an UpAqua reg. It went together easily albeit a few minor teething adjustments to set the correct co2 level. And i think it looks pretty cool free standing next to my tank. I might secure it but i dont have children or animals running around that may cause any concern. Just got to watch out for the missus and her vacuum cleaner.

Thanks

Its all DIY and using a fe or any pressurised cylinder should be treated with some modicum of respect. I have never before used any type of pressurised container before and just recently purchased a 2kg fe and an UpAqua reg. It went together easily albeit a few minor teething adjustments to set the correct co2 level. And i think it looks pretty cool free standing next to my tank. I might secure it but i dont have children or animals running around that may cause any concern. Just got to watch out for the missus and her vacuum cleaner.
The only reliable CO2 cylinder incidents I could find were all related to the much bigger pub gas cylinders. Corrosion and bursting, due to self refilling with damp CO2 in cylinders beyond test date and asphyxiation in cellars due to CO2 after knocking over the cylinder and breaking the valve/neck off.

Purchased two 5Kg this morning :) £50+delivery! note delivery for second item is cheaper!

5kg Co2 Fire Extinguisher | eBay

Have been purchasing from this supplier for 3 years now!

How do you dispose of the FE once empty and have no intention of refilling?
Was about to go ahead and order a 2kg bottle until I wondered about the above.

Some FE places will take them back, but generally they don't deal with the public and/or are not interested if not theirs. Some council tips will take them, one of my local ones will "if supplier won't" and other tip won't.

Hey guys

I too have a 5 kg CO2 FE with a nice ON-OFF valve fitted by a reputed company that deals with industrial gases & fillings. I had to buy the cylinder, and before each refill, those guys check & reconfirm if things are well & correct. Good thing is that there is an insurance coverage for this similar to what the company gives to industrial clients. Refill for 5 kg CO2 is only about £30..

Luckily for me, their client representative owns a marine tank, and knows the needs of CO2 in FW tanks. So each visit, we talk about our tanks' progresses & share pictures..

Guess its a worth spending on a good quality cylinder & refill company. Mine empty cylinder is 8.74 kg and co2 is 68% filled giving a 65 bar pressure. With my current timings and bps, this lasts me only about 5-6 months at most on 1 tank :((

cheers

What I did was get an account with my local Fire Extinguisher company - now I simply get re-filled bottle straight to my door at a charge of about £18/refilled bottle incl. VAT - as I've used a reputable company, I shouldnt have any issues with old bottles/incorrect filling etc etc

The guy that supplies my FE said he has never seen or heard of an extinguisher exploding or even corroding away. Most common failure is slow leak (or more likely someone used it) or stuck pin due to dirt or corrosion. These are all spotted hopefully during yearly checks. Usually replaced quite a while before 10 year cylinder life.

Most common abuse is letting one off as a joke behind someone. Frost burns, injury due to falling off chair and change of pants required are most common results.

As for use with fish, perfectly safe, just ensure can't be knocked over so regulator doesn't get damaged.

hehandle.jpg

For all of you worrying about modifying FE handles with tape, cable ties etc, above is a picture of a FE with two holes in handle. Upper set is where the pin normally goes, to prevent the handle being depressed and lower set for holding the handle closed "when used in a fixed installation" for example installing in electrical switch cabinet (or a fish tank :D).

Back