• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Help

Michael Gilmore

Seedling
Hi , I Currently have a 380 ltr , 900(w) x 660(h) x600(d) with a over hung lighting fixture 4 x 39w grolux bulbs , I am planing on changing to a DIY hood to help keep heat in etc... & improve lighting .

I am going to purchase GE Daylight bulbs 965`s i think , which would be better 8x 24w running side to side or 5 x 39w front to back , i think side to side would give more equal light

Any help would be great

Thanks Michael

Hi
Is it a planted tank? If not, I would suggest that you use led lights. It will be cheaper in the long run

20130325112017.jpg
Hi , Yes sorry its planted tank, A picture included to see plants

If it is planted tank, then you will need high output led. It might end up very expensive for the size of your tank.
T5 would be more ideal, but again it is a matter of opinion

Well to start with plants do not require high light to thrive & more to the point DIY LED house hold fittings (GU10 fitting) are very sucsefull at growing plants & relatively cheap to buy.
There are numerous tanks on this forum using this type of set up.
However - yes of course T5s are great too!

will GU10 offer the proper spectrum required ex.. 6500k or there abouts ?

how many bulbs would i need ?

OK, as regards spectrum.. choose what looks nice for your viewing, as the plants dont worry about such things & will happily adapt to virtually any colour spectrum.
You can get three main colours in GU10 bulbs, warm white, cool white & white but there are red bulbs, green bulbs & multi colour change bulbs!!
I am not necessarily trying to convince you LEDs are the way to go .. I just wanted to point out they are an option.
As to how many you will need... the bulbs come in many different wattage's from 1w - 12w but the best way is use a dimmable system then you are covered for all events.
As a guide I would say 10 x dimmable 9w bulbs or on a budget 10 x 6w standard bulbs, you would have to revise this suggestion though..
There is plenty of advice on the forum, here is one Help with my new led lighting | UK Aquatic Plant Society

whats nearest in kelkin to 6500k to 8000k , Warm maybe in gu10 ? i have the 9w warm Cfl`s everywhere in the house and they give a nice light , as for planted tank im not sure ?

Well to start with plants do not require high light to thrive & more to the point DIY LED house hold fittings (GU10 fitting) are very sucsefull at growing plants & relatively cheap to buy.
There are numerous tanks on this forum using this type of set up.
However - yes of course T5s are great too!

Is this entirely true ? I have read on here on a LOT of threads, that for certain carpeting plants you do need high light, and on a tank as tall as this I would have thought it would be important to punch enough PAR down to substrate level ?

Have you read that on this forum?
Plants require good CO2 & good water flow, light is required but not at hight levels.
If you choose to use high lighting then you must match the other requirements & that can put your fish in jeopardy.

Is this entirely true ? I have read on here on a LOT of threads, that for certain carpeting plants you do need high light, and on a tank as tall as this I would have thought it would be important to punch enough PAR down to substrate level ?

There's quite a good post somewhere by Clive, but I can't find it, I'll try and explain...light is obviously important, but not a important as flow and distribution of c02. People still believe that carpet plants need high light...this isn't true, people still believe that carpet plants grow upwards towards the light and get leggy, due to low light. This again isn't true...the upward growth is due to a hormone release from the plant. The hormone is ethylene (I'm sure that's the one), its this that doesn't get released properly and thus causes upwards growth in all plants, but is more noticeable in carpet plants.

Hi
Just to offer my experince I have a 180 litre Juwel & have 2 led grobeams running on only 45% power and my plants are growing really well. In fact I think it may have been Iain who advised me to keep them low.

By the way, Michael & Foxfish, they are cracking tanks.

I think my old log scape is a good example of ground cover growing down 'away from the light' an interesting example!!

plant22.jpg
Thats stunning foxfish. I love the way thats trailing over the edge of the log.

So what advantage does high light level have then, if any ?

There's quite a good post somewhere by Clive, but I can't find it, I'll try and explain...light is obviously important, but not a important as flow and distribution of c02. People still believe that carpet plants need high light...this isn't true, people still believe that carpet plants grow upwards towards the light and get leggy, due to low light. This again isn't true...the upward growth is due to a hormone release from the plant. The hormone is ethylene (I'm sure that's the one), its this that doesn't get released properly and thus causes upwards growth in all plants, but is more noticeable in carpet plants.

So does the higher level of CO2 inhibit this hormone then ? What exactly makes a carpet plant carpet rather than grow up ?

The decent c02 and flow around the substrate ensures the plants carpet. With decent flow HC and the like can be grown without c02, I think it was walstad that grew an awesome HC carpet without c02 injection. It can be done.

Reactions: tim
It can be done .. maybe by a dedicated expert but... any decent results I have manged to achieve have been made possible through offering 2wPG or less coupled with loads of C02 delivered in a very efficient manner.
The Log tank is a good example because it is obvious that the actually log offered a centrale axle for the circular flow pattern.
And is was because of this, that the amount of gas the plants received throughout the light up period then enabled the glosso to be so content!

So what advantage does high light level have then, if any ?

To get stem plants in ultimate form (dense, compact, and colorful).
If the light is barely enough, when you prune it down low, you will just get
a haft-hearted new shoot instead of two or three where you cut it.

Back