• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going Dutch Tropica 1-2 Grow Style

Ian Holdich

New journal Time!

I have wanted to try a Dutch scape for a couple of years now, but always felt a little scared to do so as I have never really felt that confident with stems. Anyways here goes!
The difference with this one is that all the plants are Tropica 1-2. The will either make it easier or harder...who knows!
Here's a mock layout (done on paint so a bit rubbish)
9019309744_82b6605f5f_z.jpg
layout1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

The old scape was taken down yesterday and the tank is now clean and ready to go.
Under Substrate in, i was impressed with this stuff with the old scape.
9019471948_67d40ac57e_z.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

9019472180_5c51eb6490_z.jpg

and capped off with Amazonia
9019472422_3f6f4e13e1_z.jpg

It should be planted Friday, so pics will be updated then.

Plant layout looks awesome Ian, sharp scissors needed :) looking forward to this.

Thanks Tim! The scissors are sharpened! Lol
I just hope I can pull it off.

That tank looks like its never seen water lol. Did you polish it........:eek: shiny.
Looking forward to this one mate :D

Thanks Al!
Yes mate, it was polished within an inch of it life!

I cant wait to see how this turns out, certainly an interesting idea shallow dutch, are you going to dsm ?

Hey Mark, thanks for the comment. I'm not going to dry start it due to the stems, they need to be drowned ASAP, I can't be doing with any melt a few weeks down the line. This might help if there is any algae outbreaks.

Good luck mate, hope it works out for you.
I've discovered that i jumped into a Dutch style way too early in my own learning curve, but i have every confidence in your stem growing ability.:)
Some nice blocks of planting there, not too many streets?
Just an observation, which may not be even right.:thumbup:

this should be good . look forward to seeing it planted up . also very interested to see a tank done entirely with 1-2-grow , as i plan on using a lot of these on my next tank

Good luck mate, hope it works out for you.
I've discovered that i jumped into a Dutch style way too early in my own learning curve, but i have every confidence in your stem growing ability.:)
Some nice blocks of planting there, not too many streets?
Just an observation, which may not be even right.:thumbup:

Cheers Stu, and thank you for the comment. I'm not sure if there is too many streets tbh, the tank is quite deep, it's 45 cm deep so thought it'd need a few more streets. I hope it's not to many! Lol

this should be good . look forward to seeing it planted up . also very interested to see a tank done entirely with 1-2-grow , as i plan on using a lot of these on my next tank

Thank you Mark, from what I have used within the range I have been more than impressed. As said above I just hope it'll come off the way I'm planning.

from reading about the 12grow range , 2 things appeal to me . the amount compared to standard pots , and the fact that they are said to adapt better once planted . i'l be keeping a close eye on this 1 for sure

from reading about the 12grow range , 2 things appeal to me . the amount compared to standard pots , and the fact that they are said to adapt better once planted . i'l be keeping a close eye on this 1 for sure

The 1 2 grow are fantastic. Ive used tennelus and hygro pinna in my new tank and can see what all the fuss is about now. Well worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Mark, thanks for the comment. I'm not going to dry start it due to the stems, they need to be drowned ASAP, I can't be doing with any melt a few weeks down the line. This might help if there is any algae outbreaks.

If you do not want the initial melt you should avoid the 1-2 grow plants as they are grown emersed... It's like dry-starting...

Watching with interest mate. :)

Cheers George! Will be wanting some tips on this stems!

If you do not want the initial melt you should avoid the 1-2 grow plants as they are grown emersed... It's like dry-starting...

Ime you get less melt with 1-2 grow than pots. Although 1-2 grow are grown emmersed, I have found that they don't melt as much as pots. The mass is also smaller, so there even less chance of causing problems.
Good maintainence is the way forward.

Yay been looking forward to this since you mentioned it in your last journal :D

Thanks Ali, much appreciated. Will try and keep it up to day on a regular basis! Lol

Looking forward to seeing your next creation mate :thumbup:

Thank you Gary, it may not adhere to the plan, was chatting to George last night, and wondering whether to just wash the gel off and plant as the pots come. This way the plants should bush better.

I think this is an interesting topic - DSM vs normal start-up.

Tropica and most other nurseries grow almost all of their plants emerged (except the 100% aquatics like Vallisneria). They're grown in 'perfect' conditions this way with unlimited access to CO2, huge amounts of light (daylight is far brighter than aquarium lighting), and their nutrient management is amazing.

Growing plants this way allows them to build-up massive nutrient reserves and strengthens them considerably - from both a physical sense and adaptability perspective. Similar principles apply to their 1-2-Grow range - and these are actually better at adapting than regular emergent growing in the nurseries.

So these plants are really strong, really healthy and full of nourishment when we buy them fresh.

Then we stick them in our tanks - let's say using DSM.

Not so good. The lighting is poorer, nutrients control won't be as effective, and generally the plants will have a harder time at adapting to another emergent environment.

I think it is better to grow these plants right away underwater as soon as possible. This is the way they're designed to be used, and why companies like Tropica have invested so much into making the plants as healthy and strong as possible, allowing them to easily adapt to the wide variety of underwater environments that we, the hobbyists, keep in our aquariums.

Plant melt will be almost non-existent when going straight into underwater growth (submerged) if you use healthy plants from the start-off, and this is where 1-2-Grow and other lab cultured plants come into their own. Obviously your growing conditions (lighting, CO2, nutrients, circulation) need to be appropriate for success. With DSM getting these factors correct during the flooding and transition phase is even more essential.

I think the only time I'd ever bother with DSM again is to grow moss using the blender/yoghurt method.

Ian - sorry for the tangent mate! Good luck with the UG and I love your professional use of Microsoft Paint!! lol

Back