• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Ferts (high or lo-tech)do you use? and why?

dfektor

After aimless flitting from one easy fert brand to another in my low tech tanks I would like to find a product that works at reasonable cost and stick to it! ;)

And Im looking to get a co2 system in my main tank so a suitable product for a high tech setup too is needed also.

So what I would like to ask is the title^^:D any advice is welcome.

thanks guys interesting replies..... is the EI popular on here? its hard to equate the recipes to cost per dosage but they seem to be really cheap!
any more choices or votes?

I again dose EI its cheap and covers all bases plus you can adjust when needed

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thanks guys interesting replies..... is the EI popular on here?
Is the Pope a Catholic ? :D
Depends on the size of tank as well i guess.
Whilst i have & use dry salts because they're cheap,on small tanks sometimes i use TNC complete, mainly through laziness.Just squeeze & pour.

Hi all,
Because I have very heavily planted tanks, which I only feed occasionally, I use the same fertiliser for both tank and house-plants, and this tends to be what ever left over soluble feed was cheap in Wilkinsons. I wouldn't recommend this approach in other circumstances.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Because I have very heavily planted tanks, which I only feed occasionally, I use the same fertiliser for both tank and house-plants, and this tends to be what ever left over soluble feed was cheap in Wilkinsons. I wouldn't recommend this approach in other circumstances.

cheers Darrel

when you got no fish you can use a wide variety... i believe i used these
25 Tablet Slow Release Plant Food Nutrient Feed All Purpose Fertilizer Cluster | eBay
with fish it would probably kill them i remember the water spikes like crazy

I use my home made ADA rip-off. Made with dry ferts and profito as traces;)
you got a recipe or link? yohan
PS finally found some vietnamese minnow and sewellia lineolata BTW

Hi all
when you got no fish you can use a wide variety... i believe i used these 25 Tablet Slow Release Plant Food Nutrient Feed All Purpose Fertilizer Cluster | eBay with fish it would probably kill them i remember the water spikes like crazy
The problem with most fertilisers, even "slow release" ones, is that the nitrogen component will go into solution fairly readily in tank water. Nearly all nitrates are highly soluble, and the one that gives you the "most bang for your buck" (35.5%N) is ammonium nitrate (NH3NO3). This is highly soluble and disassociates into NH3/NH4+ & NO3-.

A very robust system (high plant mass with floaters or emergents) and a lot of oxygenation may be able to deal with the sudden increase in ammonia, particularly if the pH is below pH7, but in other circumstances toxic levels of ammonia may result.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I just happened to find myself at a loose end in Bridgewater shopping centre on Wednesday, and I popped into the local Wilkinsons. They have a "Wilko Every Day Value Plant Feed", where the nitrogen content is all urea (CO(NH2)2) and 46%N).

The urea will be converted to ammonia (by micro-organisms with the urease enzyme), but it is still a safer option for livestock than ammonium nitrate (NH3NO3) where all the ammonia will go into solution in one big hit.

If you did have the combination of a tank with a very large plant load, no aversion to risk and a severe shortage of money (£1.15 for 500ml), it might be a viable option as a fertiliser for the "Duckweed index", because you would need a very small amount to get a greening response.

cheers Darrel

Back