• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Hi all,
If a picture paints a thousand words, it is this one:
9287587372_2cf785daf2.jpg

Even if it worked as well as H2O2 or UV. it would still be pointless.

cheers Darrel

I quite like this new invention... I see it removes all algae from plants and acts as a giant algae magnet - a great piece of kit that costs the EARTH! hmmmmm :crazy:

Hi all,
If a picture paints a thousand words, it is this one:
9287587372_2cf785daf2.jpg

Even if it worked as well as H2O2 or UV. it would still be pointless.

cheers Darrel

So CO2 ceramic diffusers are not working in general because they will be covered with green algae first on its plate after 2 weeks and grow brush on them if you lazy with maintenances? External filters not working because if you do not maintenace them periodically they will clog or may will do dirty looking water? Same for inline diffusers etc.

This stuff only provide one thing. Helps with the initial algae breakout WITH the help of the regular cleaning crew. This do not promise that it will do the maintenance work with a push of a button or based on some preprogrammed mumbojumbo :)

Maintenance needed. Water changes needed and depend on how much light you shoot the stuff need to be cleaned - they mention in the manual how to clean it.

So for me it looks like something which was never cleaned. And of course if i would be the manufacturer i would pull my hair out to see this promo piece at the worldwide start of a new product:)

Hi all,
So CO2 ceramic diffusers are not working in general because they will be covered with green algae first on its plate after 2 weeks and grow brush on them if you lazy with maintenances? External filters not working because if you do not maintenace them periodically they will clog or may will do dirty looking water?
I can see your point, but added CO2 isn't claiming to deter algae, and there is a good scientific rationale for why adding CO2 works. Aquatic and terrestrial plant growth is often CO2 limited, and there is a huge amount of scientific evidence for this, including for the green algae. I think this should be available to every-one "High-CO2 Response Mechanisms in Microalgae": <http://cdn.intechweb.org/pdfs/28380.pdf> .

Filters again are a different argument, we are talking about a system which only works because of its microbial content, if the system was clean, and stayed clean, you wouldn't have any microbial filtration.
This stuff only provide one thing. Helps with the initial algae breakout WITH the help of the regular cleaning crew.
This is really my problem, you have to have an algae free tank (that is heavily planted), then you add the TwinStar unit, Amano Shrimps and SAE. This scenario leads to lower levels of a limited range of algae, but doesn't effect BBA (Rhodophyta), higher plants, or your filter bacteria. The company doesn't tell you what it is, but there are definitely hints that it is micro-bubble ozone generator.

If it works why do you need the shrimps & SAE?

Why does it only effect attached filamentous green algae, but not "green water" when both algae types belong to the Chlorophyta, and have identical physiology and photo-systems?

Even if it worked, is a green algae free aquarium a desirable out-come? I don't think it is. I'd struggle to find much obvious green algae in my tanks, but if I looked closely enough with a low powered microscope all the older leaves and permanent structures will have a very short "stubble" of cropped off biofilm of green algae, cyanobacteria, diatoms, rotifers etc.

cheers Darrel

I Ask about product and answer is;

One of your question was how to works. Do you means technology?
There are five factors of mechanism including plant ecology but we can't tell you because of company's secret.

Regards
Alan

I Ask about product and answer is;

One of your question was how to works. Do you means technology?
There are five factors of mechanism including plant ecology but we can't tell you because of company's secret.

Regards
Alan

Hmmmm........ so it seems they must have either come up with something new and spectacular and dont want it stolen or it really not much to it and not worth time...?

Still no answer what so ever about what it actually is though??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmmm........ so it seems they must have either come up with something new and spectacular and dont want it stolen or it really not much to it and not worth time...?

Still no answer what so ever about what it actually is though??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
I think is just guestin no going to help and company will not tell you what is it you can falow for more information.
The one I trust.
http://grassyaqua.com/repo_aq.html

So, I have just found out how the twinstar works.

It has a special doohickey that fits inside a thingamybob. This then has a doodaa that presses on a whatchamacallit.

Overall it generates two hoohaa's a minute. The effect on subsonic algae is quite ositronic.

Its available in three sizes:
4" , 10cm and 100mm

Not guranteed to work on blue, brown, grey or green algae, as long as you don't cross the streams.!

So, I have just found out how the twinstar works.

It has a special doohickey that fits inside a thingamybob. This then has a doodaa that presses on a whatchamacallit.

Overall it generates two hoohaa's a minute. The effect on subsonic algae is quite ositronic.

Its available in three sizes:
4" , 10cm and 100mm

Not guranteed to work on blue, brown, grey or green algae, as long as you don't cross the streams.!
Engineer:clap:

Hi all,
Indeed, and like I mentioned before, this uses plasma ion technology as well..
I think Johan is correct, they are the same and are both using ionization. This whole area is dogged by pseudo-science <"Ionized" and alkaline water: snake oil on tap>, and I can't see how it can possibly offer any advantage in the fish tank.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Key word for scholar.google.com is "electrolysis disinfection of water".....It is not a snake oil.
I probably didn't make clear exactly what I meant. I'm not saying it doesn't work as a disinfectant, the process is widely used in cooling water, car washes, swimming pools etc.

The mechanism of action is that it produces chlorine from a chloride source (usually NaCl - dissociated as Na+ Cl- ions, but they can be at low concentrations) via a platinum electrode set. You can also produce ozone, oxygen and hydrogen peroxide via electrolysis.

I don't intend to start adding chlorine (Cl-), hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) or ozone (O3) to my tanks, what useful purpose would they (or any other oxidator and/or biocide) serve? If I want to add more oxygen to the tanks (and I like a lot of oxygenation), I'd add a wet and dry trickle filter and reduce BOD as far as possible.

This is on page 3 of this thread, and it covers REDOX vakues.
Any tank with a substrate is going to have regions with reducing conditions and negative (ORP)REDOX values, this isn't bad or dangerous, it is an entirely natural situation, and without it a lot of nutrients would be both oxidised and unavailable. 10 years ago Reefers were all madly measuring REDOX values, now they all have deep sand beds. 20 years ago a lot of Rift lake Cichlid keepers were using hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to remove all traces of tannins etc from their tanks, I doubt many are now. UV is in vogue at the moment, but again I'm not convinced that it offers any advantages. If you keep fish from highly oxygenated, heavily buffered alkaline water (like Goby Cichlids) you would want lots of oxygen and ORP values in the ~ 300mv range, if you don't I'm not sure it is relevant.

I wrote an article for plec keepers that covers some of this area: <plecoplanet: Aeration and dissolved oxygen in the aquarium>.

cheers Darrel

Back