• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Back in the Saddle' 90cm - 1 year on!

I saw your name in there Vito, I'm really surprised you weren't ranked better with this scape...do you have the final picture?
Thanks for the kind words guys, but due to my tanks position, it limits me to taking a full frontal shot and I believe that scores against my entry and also the I true quality might have not been up to scratch but next year I will work on my final shot a lot better, as for the shot I submitted, I do not have it to hand but once I'm back in the country I will post it.

Hi Vito, the picture definitely must have been the reason. The scape is great. If the picture is not FTS then it is 100% the case. If the space is limited then consider wide angle lens. The tank will fit from less than half distance. Spend some time with photography or ask someone to help you out. If you want visit me one day I can give you some quick tips and can lend UWA for the final shot. There is just a short moment of the tanks prime and a nice picture can remind you the scape for the rest of your life ;)
Again well done on the scape and looking forward to your next one.

Hi Vito, the picture definitely must have been the reason. The scape is great. If the picture is not FTS then it is 100% the case. If the space is limited then consider wide angle lens. The tank will fit from less than half distance. Spend some time with photography or ask someone to help you out. If you want visit me one day I can give you some quick tips and can lend UWA for the final shot. There is just a short moment of the tanks prime and a nice picture can remind you the scape for the rest of your life ;)
Again well done on the scape and looking forward to your next one.

Thanks for the advice dude and also the offer for the equipment, I will definitely take alot more thought and consideration into the photography aspect for my next entry and I will ask my brother about wide angle lenses, as I am sure he will have one :)
As for the tank, I arrived back today to see its remained as clean as a whistle much to my surprise, the only different was the reduction in the water level, good news and I have attached a pic, as you can see its in need of a trim and I will do that with the W/C tomorrow night.
387x.jpg
Thanks for looking

Hey everyone,
As previously stated here is an update of the tank so far. Larger than normal W/C today to take away any rubbish accumulated over the past two weeks, and a very sharp trim up on all the plants. I have attached before and after pics and a few other shots. I have decided to keep the lights at 4 hours but lowered it by 2 inches, hopefully this will increase intensity as the HC seems to be growing up rather than sideways, also I was very surprised with the success results of dosing a weeks worth of ferts in one go so I've done that again. I am yest to buy some fish for the tank but I might go and get some cardinals or embers this weekend if i get some time.
Anyway here are some pics, if i'm honest I do prefer the wilder grown bush of HM rather thank the clean cut one in the pics but in the flesh I feel the opposite :)
xsvg.jpg

z0zp.jpg

0sfh.jpg

0fdz.jpg

4c3u.jpg

9knm.jpg

rvgr.jpg

Thank for looking

Hey guys, well I managed to borrow a wide angle lens and I have also stocked the tank with 25 Helingi Rasbora, I had 4 of them jump out so I have decided to put the glass lid on top and to be honest I barley notice it and wish I had done it sooner as it would have saved me alot of shrimp.. After about 200+ shots this is what I have come up with, hope you like it.
q8qb.jpg

6lua.jpg

Thanks for looking

I wish I could see this beauty in a bigger resolution! ;) Anyway green lush, as before, one of my favorites minimal iwagumi! :thumbup:
agreed , looking great vito , I agree about glass lid I haven't got one but all shrimp I purchased last time jumped and its a bit disheartening so sure that ill help, how you get the lilly pipes through the lid you have it specially cut ?

I wish I could see this beauty in a bigger resolution! ;) Anyway green lush, as before, one of my favorites minimal iwagumi! :thumbup:

Thanks for the kinds words :) when you say a bigger resolution what do you mean? as when I upload the photos on image shake it gets re-sized, should I not re-size when I upload them?
Here is the actuall size of the photo
sv2j.jpg

agreed , looking great vito , I agree about glass lid I haven't got one but all shrimp I purchased last time jumped and its a bit disheartening so sure that ill help, how you get the lilly pipes through the lid you have it specially cut ?
The glass lid was supplied with the tank and its sorter than the length of the tank to allow the pipes to fit. Thanks for the comments :)

I really like these new shots mate. It looks fantastic!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

It looks great! and a very natural look :thumbup: do you have a pic showing the top of the tank with the glass lid? I'd like to see how it looks and fits.

Hi Gary here are some pics of the top, unfortunately I dont have the SLR today so picture quality isn't fantastic.
4zqx.jpg

nned.jpg

krd5.jpg

To be honest I thought it would be more distracting to the scape but I don't notice it, I still prefer without it but needs must, I suppose.
I am still trying to gain a much sharper image on the SLR shots, any one got any advice on how to do so?

Hey Vito.... Thanks for putting those pics up, very good of you. It does not look bad at all to be honest, I wanted to see what it looked like as I've just moved over to my first open topped tank and I've had a few shrimp and one fish take a look at my lounge floor... I even think it surprised my dog as he looked at them and walked off. Your tank looks great by the way... I really like it - well done.

Vito, sometimes practicality has to come first. Out of interest did the lid support clips come with the tank or lid ?

I am still trying to gain a much sharper image on the SLR shots, any one got any advice on how to do so?

More light! Lower your lighting closer to the water's surface to ensure everything is lit up well and you can set a shutter speed of at least 1/120. I see quite a bit of noise in your pictures and on some cameras (mine included), a higher ISO leads to muddier details, so set the ISO to its "default". I say default because for mine, its ISO 200. I also have an ISO 100 setting, but they use software trickery to achieve that, its not the default sensitivity for my camera's sensor.

Hey guys, so its been a few weeks since my last post, everything is still ticking along nicely I got rid of the lid as it did eventually begin to distract me from the beautiful minimalistic look of the tank and plus maintenance became more of a pain, also the condensation that collected on the lid mad it even more ugly so I have had to bite the bullet and I am down to about 10 halengi's from 25 and most of them are behind the tank where I cant get to but when I redo the tank I will probably find 30 or so fish skeletons. So I have borrowed my brothers SLR and Wide angle lens and I also lowered the light about 2 inches to give me better lighting for the shots. Just to let you know the plan is to grow the HM very tall and then harvest the cuttings and replant in between the main rocks to give a more natural transition rather than the straight-ish lines I have at the moment.
Anyway enjoy the pics, ignore the dirty pipes, they are due to be cleaned next week :)
2jan5vl.jpg

6o0t39.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Back