• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

2ymaseme.jpg

Hi Nathaniel

I have a huge amount of respect for Viktor (and Dave Chow) and believe this unit does something, even though we don't know how.

To post such a flippant insinuation is a little disrespectful to the work that Viktor has done and shared with us here on UKAPS.

I know I am only repeating myself but I don't understand the negativity?
I love the though of 'anything' that will make our tanks more beautiful, the device does not seem to be some form of miracle maker but ... yeah it is something new in our hobby = great as far as I am concerned. :thumbup:

Easy to change the diffuser. Unplug the jack from the ic module and thats it. I tried another test today and faced with an interesting issue after a few hours. Seiryu looked like i would drop acid on it

;) I meant how easy is to buy the diffuser, or should there not be a need to replace it?

I know I am only repeating myself but I don't understand the negativity?
I love the though of 'anything' that will make our tanks more beautiful, the device does not seem to be some form of miracle maker but ... yeah it is something new in our hobby = great as far as I am concerned. :thumbup:

I don't think the issue is negativity.. more trying to figure out what is actually doing..

This is a community of people that like to know how things work... from ferts to co2, we ask and try to figure out how it works..

So it is not an ozone maker.. is it a o2 diffuser? No idea.. so people will continue to ask questions, and while some may buy and try it, I would think that the community at large will keep away..

Interesting point, Luis.

Personally I'm prepared to try new stuff without fully understanding it.

Heck, I still don't fully understand so much about this amazing hobby. That's a massive part of its appeal for me and certainly nothing to be fearful of.

I thank folk like Viktor for trying out kit like this and sharing their experiences in an objective and constructive manner. :)

Hi Nathaniel

I have a huge amount of respect for Viktor (and Dave Chow) and believe this unit does something, even though we don't know how.

To post such a flippant insinuation is a little disrespectful to the work that Viktor has done and shared with us here on UKAPS.

It's tricky to find a balance, I personally feel we are being manipulated. Indirectly, for sure, but ultimately being subjected to the baddest of bad science. Companies target figureheads of communities to make it difficult to be skeptical without inadvertently disrespecting the figurehead, it's marketing we are seeing here.

General consumers are what twinstar are interested in. look on youtube you'll see about 10 immaculate scapes, all the consumer will see is wow to get that I've just got to buy the gadget, that's the link that is being created here. All the scapers so far targeted have one thing in common: zero issues with maintenance they cannot go about fixing, with or without another article.

Ok guys Test 2 since the other test passed with 100% success in 2 weeks! I decided to start a new one today.

We have a fresh tank which is 3 weeks old now. This tank is just getting cycled in so some starter issue is almost there. Right time to do another test.

Tank size: 90x45x45
Filtration: Eheim Prof 3 2075 (1250lph)
Pressurized CO2 with ADA Beetle diffuser
Substrate: ADA Africana, ADA Colorado Sand
Fertilizers: Daily 10ml Brighty K and Brighty Step 2
Water change 40-50% weekly with pure RO. not adding back any minerals because of the massive stone setup
Water temp: 22-24 celsius
Lighting: ADA Solar I - Green bulb 7hrs a day

Here is the starter issue and the current situation.

The Seiryu got green algae on the 3rd week. Was fully clean for the first 2 weeks.
Sand gets some algae too. And i see some BGA in the sandbad.

Normally i would not worry. I would do the regular maintenance. Would brush the stones the first time. Suck down the algae from the sand and would inject some Easy Carbo to the sand next to the front glass (right side)

But let's see what happens if we drop in the Twinstar. No carbo no manual removal, no brushing

Installed it at the end of the day today. So i had 2 hours to watch it. After 2 hours i see the following picture

10841348745_d368250da2_b.jpg
TWINSTAR TEST 2 - 90x45x45 - Day 1 by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Here is the full shot to see the stones without the mark.

10841674753_6ff60e74c1_b.jpg
TWINSTAR TEST 2 - 90x45x45 - Day 1 by viktorlantos, on Flickr

As you can see the closest stones get cleaned up. The current is a bit slower on this tank then the other, so i do not see the fog flying around that quick.

Since things happen so quickly you feels that your eyes are messing with you. Shortly after the installation you start to see that the stones getting cleaner. The above photo happened after 2 hours of operation.
I've seen some white patches which is close to the Twinstar. like a Calcium thing. Like the fog made a reaction with the stone. But i almost sitted the diffuser on the stones there. So a few centimeters next to the stones. I've seen similar errosion when we added a little more acid to our manten stones.

In high resolution you can see that white patch on the rock middle of the marked area.
All sizes | TWINSTAR TEST 2 - 90x45x45 - Day 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So i am looking forward if all my stones will be white for tomorrow :) and will do a winter scape or is this only an accident somehow :)

It's tricky to find a balance, I personally feel we are being manipulated. Indirectly, for sure, but ultimately being subjected to the baddest of bad science. Companies target figureheads of communities to make it difficult to be skeptical without inadvertently disrespecting the figurehead, it's marketing we are seeing here.

General consumers are what twinstar are interested in. look on youtube you'll see about 10 immaculate scapes, all the consumer will see is wow to get that I've just got to buy the gadget, that's the link that is being created here. All the scapers so far targeted have one thing in common: zero issues with maintenance they cannot go about fixing, with or without another article.

Yep.. I am sure the consumers will think that what they see can be replicated with this tool.. :)

Now, although we don't know 100% how everything works in a tank we have to agree that we are close to it.. at least we have an idea how it works..

Not so with this tool.. those bubbles, what are they, for example.. co2? O2? Ozone?

:)

Hard to take the reply "it just works"... we were not brought up like that at ukaps... question everything, till it makes sense

Hi Nathaniel

Hello George,

It was intended to be light hearted banter, more so in response to NatureBoys Link to Ian holdiches topic on 'the silver Bullet'.

I too regard victor as an exceptional aquarist. One of the best on this forum.
And I do not doubt his findings either, as the results are clearly showing something is happening, and his tests seem methodical.

I believe the product produces a likeness in results to the use of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

Cheers,
N

Yep.. I am sure the consumers will think that what they see can be replicated with this tool.. :)

Now, although we don't know 100% how everything works in a tank we have to agree that we are close to it.. at least we have an idea how it works..

Not so with this tool.. those bubbles, what are they, for example.. co2? O2? Ozone?

:)

Hard to take the reply "it just works"... we were not brought up like that at ukaps... question everything, till it makes sense

The Twinstar manufacturers obviously have something to hide in terms of what is actually happening inside the unit. I would personally find this an insult, if I had purchased the Unit.

The views that 'they could be withholding information to prevent copycat production' doesn't really cut it with me.

I believe the real reason, although I don't know the science Of it all, is to cover up the huge amount of markup the company is making on a relatively simple and inexpensive piece of kit.

In all history the majority of the ordinary crowd were in DENIAL with new things. Its ok people, its quite common for us mortals.
Only the bravest made there ways :lol: while the rest were sleeping.
There are many more ways to make money than selling snake oils these days and people feel very well when they are sold something what does not work and wont come back to the seller and even worth spread the word online. So what on earth some of you here are talking about when you have not even a smallest clue about it? Why dont you just get over it?
Sorry if I have offended someone.

In all history the majority of the ordinary crowd were in DENIAL with new things. Its ok people, its quite common for us mortals.
Only the bravest made there ways :lol: while the rest were sleeping.
There are many more ways to make money than selling snake oils these days and people feel very well when they are sold something what does not work and wont come back to the seller and even worth spread the word online. So what on earth some of you here are talking about when you have not even a smallest clue about it? Why dont you just get over it?
Sorry if I have offended someone.

Nobody is saying it doesn't work. Why don't you read above post? It VERY CLEARLY works in Viktors eyes and others.

It's the fact we want to know what's going on.

Call it inquisition. Call it trying to understand what it is actually doing to the water In our aquariums, so we can learn what's happening and why it's having such a positive effect on nuisance algae. We can Then take this logic and apply, to improve our pretty little tanks even further.

I had a thought today that it would be nice to have someone open the diffuser and the IC like what is happening with Apple's new phone all the time.
So it would be visible what is inside. I am short on stock :) So who will open up the item? :)

Back