• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3ft Hillstream Tank

DanV

Seedling
This is my second post here. I have introduced myself.

This thread is about my 3ft hillstream tank. Specs to follow:

Size: 3ft - 100l
Filtration: 1200lph powehead with internal manifold and sponge filter, 3000lph wavemaker and a Aquaclear 300 HOB.
Light: 2X T5's
Substrate: Pool Filter Sand
Hardscape: Collected in the nature
Ferts: NPK now and then.
CO2: none
There is a heater, but I don't use it. I sometimes have to cool the water with a fan.

Flora: Mosses and algae
Fauna: Pseudogastromyzon cheni/myersi
Stiphodon atropurpureus
Danio kyathit
Zippr loach
Homaloptera smithi

This tank has reached equilibrium. I can add NPK, leave the lights on for long, with no CO2, and the algae will stay away, except the GDA, which I want.

The aim of this tank is to simulate the hillstream environment, provide natural food, and to be minimum maintenance. I literally only have to top up and clean the front glass. Water stays good condition and fish are happy.
My gobies have become extremely active and vibrant, which is a good sign.

Below is a "timeline" of how the tank progressed through the 2 or more years.

progress.jpg

Further, here's a few pics of my fish.

Stiphodon atropurpureus:

IGP5250.jpg

IGP5383.jpg

IGP5401.jpg

IGP7904Ara56.jpg

IMG6269.jpg

IMGP7223seR2V.jpg

Pseudogastromyzon cheni/meyersi:

IGP7905Re46.jpg

IMGP7247caxBd.jpg

Zipper loach:

IGP5281_2.jpg

IMG6268.jpg

Homaloptera smithi:

IGP5320_2.jpg

IGP5322_2.jpg

I also had a crab in there at a time:

IMGP9700_2small.jpg

IMGP9703.jpg

IMGP9715.jpg

I have been on the hunt for Sewellia lineolata for about 2 years but it is impossible to find in SA. But there might be hope. This tank is fascinating me every day and is getting even better. This is the most successful tank I have ever had. I know it's not eye-candy, but it is wonderful, it has a personality and is unique. I am always looking for more suitable fish for this tank. I might even convert my 4ft into a river setup as well!

thanks for sharing

I know nothing about these fish but its a fascinating world you've created

:D

I know it's not the most popular style or fish, but hopefully it will insnpire others.

The last FTS is very bad. I will post a better one soon enough.

very intriguing, liking how naturally green the rocks have become :)

Love the river tank, I've always wanted one like this!

It's a shame you can't get Sewellia where you are. For me they seem to be easier to get than Stiphodon, (maybe because some people have succeeded in breeding them?). I think they often end-up in community tanks which are obviously a far cry from their natural habitat.

P

Love the river tank, I've always wanted one like this! It's a shame you can't get Sewellia where you are. For me they seem to be easier to get than Stiphodon, (maybe because some people have succeeded in breeding them?). I think they often end-up in community tanks which are obviously a far cry from their natural habitat.

Thank you very much. Yes it's a real big pity that I can't get them down here. There is one shop who can get them from Vietnam, but it depends if they decide to place an order from there. My needs obviously don't take priority. I've heard of people keeping Sewellia in a planted tank with an airstone, and claiming that they sit on the airstone because "it tickles them". Damn. It's because they are suffocating.

Wow you are very lucky. The Stiphodon CAN spawn. It has happened, but the fry undergoes metamorphoses in the ocean, so they can't be raise in the aquarium.

Nice tank and great to see such beautiful fish being kept in an envrionment that suits them.

Looks like it has just been plucked from a stream. I love the way it has evolved over the years......good job!!

Looks like a perfect home for stiphodons and btw where did you get your Stiphodon atropurpureus? I have been looking for these everywhere!
Sorry to go off topic.

Back