• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Setting up Co2

ale36

Hello all I have finally gathered all the bits and pieces I need to inject Co2 into my tank. The tank is a 54l juwel tank with internal filter. The lighting is a single t8 15w tube. I know i need about 3 bar of pressure for the glass diffuser but
how many bbs do I need?

How long do I need the Co2 running I k ow it's meant to come on before the lights do but when do I turn it off?

How do I use the drop checker I have some 4dkh solution and a smaller bottle that just says Co2 test
e8amyqu9.jpg

I know it has been asked numerous times but it's a mine field of answers that just confuse me

Attachments

• e8amyqu9.jpg
    e8amyqu9.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 90
Hi
i may not be the most qualified to answer this as i've not been using pressurised too long, but no one else has jumped in so.I started on a 60L tank with a ceramic diffuser.
Every tank is going to be different due to the amount of variables but for what it's worth.
The co2 test looks like a reagent, the drop checker needs to be filled with a mix of 4kdh water & 3-4 drops of reagent.The solution should be a blue colour, the more reagent, the darker the colour, the longer it'll take to react to the changes in tank PH.I fill my drop checker about 2/3 full, and put it in an area of low flow.
BPS rate is tricky, because different bubble counters, produce different sized bubbles.With my JBL i aimed for about 1-2 BPS, with the co2 coming on 2 or 3 hours before the lights, going off 2-3 before the lighting ended.
It's then about adjusting to get the best results, depending on flow etc. but this should get you started.
As long as there's no critters in the tank you can't have too much co2 to start with.
Personally i'd start with no critters and on a day where you can monitor what the drop checker is doing.It can take a couple of days to fine tune.They're only a guide anyway, and lots of people are now using PH pens instead.
Fully prepared to be shot down, but hopefully you can get started.

Thanks Stu unfortunately i have to start in small steps as i already have fish in the tank but that is a good starting point what you have said thanks

I know i need about 3 bar of pressure for the glass diffuser

I run my fluval ceramic at only 1 bar, I guess it doesn't matter at 3 bar as you can adjust the bps at the needle valve but I would be concerned, maybe unnecessarily, with tubing possibly popping off.

do you guys think i will have enough flow in my tank using the inbuilt filter?
Once plants start growing and reducing flow, certainly not IMO. Juwel internal filters have a very slow flow rate, not ideal for planted tanks.

A general guideline to ensure you have enough flow is to aim for 10x the tanks volume per hour of flow rate. You would be best to add an additional small circulation pump/wave maker, like a Hydor Koralia, Tunze Nanostream or NeWave pump etc. :).
So for a 54l tank, you are looking at a total of 540lph +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back