• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rabbit snails

I remember reading that they prefer hard water and a ph over 7 to keep their shells healthy. They will murder most plants and may have parasites or some sort of leach I believe which can be treated. Sometimes when you introduce them into your aquarium females will give birth to babies due to a change in environment.

This is just from reading around a while ago and not first hand experience, but it should provide some points to research.

I remember reading that they prefer hard water and a ph over 7 to keep their shells healthy. They will murder most plants and may have parasites or some sort of leach I believe which can be treated. Sometimes when you introduce them into your aquarium females will give birth to babies due to a change in environment.

This is just from reading around a while ago and not first hand experience, but it should provide some points to research.
Just bought some "algae wafers" & "calcium/food mix blocks" for the Red Ramshorn snails & MTS I have just bought on eBay. I read that the Rabbit Snail also eats these and will not touch healthy plants if enough food is available. Seems to be conflicting info on they're feeding habits though.
Would be great to get a juvenile one to go in my tank, or even a separate species tank.
Edit: Just found this interesting journal on keeping Rabbit Snails
http://rabbitsnails.com/rabbitsnails-que.html

Last edited:
I have yellow ones and poso choclate ones. Yellow i have 3/4 year no problems, poso i got week ago, no problems yet. They are in the white cube and have to do with what's available, i feed this fish once a day with mosquitolarvae, and i chuck in algae tablets3/4 times a week. There are lots of stones with some biofilm. They haven't gone to my plants.

I have these snails. I bought 4 about three years ago. I now have about 40. I was hoping to find other people with experience of them. I do think they eat my plants but I do put cucumber wedges and lettuce leaves in about once a week.

I have some pomacea diffusa and some white wizard snails, that I want to add to my planted shrimp tank, but they are.currenty probation, because although I have been told they don't eat live plants, I think I want to be sure!! So they are in a hang on the back fry box.
So far I have them in with bacopa m.
They don't seem.to have eaten it, but they have snapped the stem in half, by wrapping themselves round it🤔

Back