• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Midori no mori (until I can think of a proper name)

Cheers Dean

I'm dosing EI, I got this kit here, I was doubling the suggested daily dose with my old set up but I haven't got so many plants now so I might tone it down a bit.

BPS is about three or four bubbles a second, I don't think these plants will be too CO2 hungry (I'm going to remove some Blyxa tonight) and I'm only using 1 Grobeam 600 at the moment.

30% water changes daily. I'll try to stir up the sand a bit at the same time to minimize any dirty looking algae.

Last edited:
Looks superb mate! White sand is very nice. I got some on my 60 cm tank and I think it makes the tank look lighter but also larger than with a dark substrate. I got an Eleocharis carpet on the sand (because I also put Aquasoil and it was invading the sand... really a pain) but if you keep it like this, without carpet plants, the advantage IMO is that it is extremely easy to replace it and it makes the tank look fresh like the first day. Low maintenance substrate, low demanding plants and lovely setup... Good combination!

Jordi

We'll I was feeling quite pleased with everything until I arrived home....

Disaster has struck. I don't know quite how it happened but every single fish with the exception of one oto is dead. :(.

The Co2 was really bubbling away and the lights hadn't come on so I assume it was that, I'm gutted to say the least.

The shrimps seem ok after a quick water change and when I went to take an oto out it moved a bit so I left it there, it hasn't moved since though.

I'm sure it's the Co2 but is there any chance of there being another cause, they were all fine yesterday and this morning. I hope it's safe to put some new fish in at the weekend.

It's certainly taken the shine off my new set up. :(

sorry to hear James just have to get back on the horse so to speak and continue this great scape hope you get it sorted

Well the remaining Oto recovered and is as good as new so it must have been Co2 related rather than something more sinister. While I didn't have any emotional connection to the fish I still feel quite bad as obviously it's our responsibility to look after any living creatures in our care.... It didn't help that my wife has been calling me a fish murderer as well.

Anyway, I've been to the Garden Centre at the weekend and got 6 Columbian Tetras and 6 Black Neons. On reflection I'm not entirely sure that these are the best combination as from a distance neither of them has got a lot of colour at the moment - although the black neons are slowly darkening up. I'm thinking now that maybe I should have got at least one more colourful type instead but I really like the Columbians and wanted to give them another go.

The tank's looking good so far, there's not much change yet obviously I have removed some of the Blyxa around the left hand side so I've got a strip of sand going all the way around.

When I was looking for the dead fish I discovered that the wood can be easily lifted out in one piece and placed in a washing up bowl which is going to make maintenance of the sand a doddle. :)

I really need to work on my photography skills, I was fiddling with different settings last night but my memory card filled up so I couldn't take any more :confused:. I need to try and find some posts that might help me out a bit today, the photos below have been enhanced in Photoshop (mainly colour and brightness). My white balance is one of the biggest problems, do people tend to use the auto setting or one of the presets?

Anyway, here are my new fishies.

http://s27.postimg.org/nuk3offgj/72_IMG_4343.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/uezccv18h/72_IMG_4334.jpg

Thanks for looking, any criticism is welcome. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1398246261][/DOUBLEPOST]I forgot to ask, I can't remember what type of Microsorum it is, any got any ideas? I also think it's a bit big, are there any similar but smaller varieties?

Cheers. :)

parotet beat me to it Beautiful mate absolutely stunning and as said I think great fish choice seem to blend in so with the sand and colours

photography defiantly looking better mate I need a decent camera for great shots aswel, what did you purchase mate ?

Cheers Dean. I borrow the camera from work (it sits in my drawer anyway). It's a Canon Eos 400D, it's probably a bit old now but at least it's free!

Back