• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Midori no mori (until I can think of a proper name)

Cheers Dean. I borrow the camera from work (it sits in my drawer anyway). It's a Canon Eos 400D, it's probably a bit old now but at least it's free!
that's the thing what puts me off don't want to spend £300 or more for just taking pics of aquarium so not be happening anytime soon, but honestly looking really good and pichure coming on and very colourful, looking pro ;)

Cheers Edvet, I'll look into that. My photos look ok because of all the corrections in Photoshop, I shouldn't need to do that though should I? They should be ok straight from the camera.

Wel depends, basically when shooting RAW format the camera just captures the data and doesn't proces it.
Shooting a preset way (like "portret"or "landscape") will proces the pic in a predetermined (by the manufacturer) way.
Shooting in JPG format will proces the info too.
Shooting raw uses most storage room but leaves the post production to you. While jpg's can look nice straight out of the camera the data is managed and lost in that proces. Raw pictures will (always, at least for me) look worse fresh out of the camera, but can be postprocessed to look their best in your eyes.
For instance sharpening, most camera's have some sort of filter (moire) in front of the CCD.This causes the image to be soft (not sharp) removing it would give sharper images, but less control over other unwanted effects (Moire) wich would be much harder to remove. Sharpening pp is easy. JPG's are sharpened in camera already.

So JPG's can look better out of the camera, but there is less info stored, so pp isn't easy (loss of data).
Camera RAW often look worse, but with pp can give a far better picture.

Hey James, none of the photographers I know would be embarrassed about using PhotoShop for their final pictures. Like the camera, it's just a tool to get the result you're aiming for. Your photos already look really excellent.

Cheers Ed and Mr Teapot.

I put my Microsorum Mini in last night, it looks a lot better (to me). Hopefully my purigen will arrive tomorrow so my water will clear up. I also plan to give the mosses a trim to get rid of all the 'shaggy' bits tomorrow. I think I'll be finished then, I can sit back and watch it all grow in. :)

It was a nice surprise to see my tank on the UKAPS Facebook page, thanks whoever did that. :)

I've been away for a few days and when I got back yesterday I've found a weird growth on the tips of a couple of Microsorum leaves, it looks a bit like BBA but is red / brown, I'll get a couple of photos tonight see if anyone can identify it - because I can't.

I discovered my local Pet Shop has got some baby oto's in at £1.20 each :), I bagged a couple because I only had one left after the CO2 disaster.

Is that what they do?!?! I thought it was some weird sort of algae come to haunt me :lol:, Cheers Tim.

Defiantly new plantlet mate. Lookinnnng great too BTW :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No real updates to report, the fissidens is growing in nicely but slowly and the tank still looks as clean as the day it was planted. I've got a couple of questions though....

One of my mosses, either 'spiky' or 'weeping' I'm not sure which, is looking very yellowy brown and sorry for itself, is there much I can do about it, I'm not sure what the defiency is as the Fissidens and Flame moss look perfectly healthy.

The second thing is should I go low tech and dispense with the CO2, I've wondered since day one if it's actually necessary. I've only got a couple of Microsorums and various mosses in there now. I'm also only using one TMC grobeam 600 which is suspended a fair distance from the water (as can be seen on the pics although I switch on an extra LED for taking photos). I really want as little maintenence as possible so I'm not worried about fast growth, just healthy plants. I could always just add a bit of Easycarbo now and then but I'm under the impression it's not great for moss.

The last thing I want is to upset the balance of the tank , so I'm not too sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James

Hi all,
The second thing is should I go low tech and dispense with the CO2, I've wondered since day one if it's actually necessary. I've only got a couple of Microsorums and various mosses in there now. I'm also only using one TMC grobeam 600 which is suspended a fair distance from the water (as can be seen on the pics although I switch on an extra LED for taking photos). I really want as little maintenence as possible so I'm not worried about fast growth, just healthy plants
I'd say definitely go low-tech, once tanks are established with mosses and ferns they can run very successfully on ambient CO2, and are virtually no maintenance.

I always have some floaters as well (partially so that I can use them as indicators of when to feed via the "Duckweed index" and partially because the fish like them), but they aren't strictly necessary.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I appreciate that mate.

I think I'll keep the CO2 until the FE runs out, which shouldn't be too long, and then see how it goes without. I assume I need to keep up my EI regime though, maybe just reduce the amounts a bit?

Time to go and read up on the 'Duckweed index'.

Cheers James

Hi all,
I assume I need to keep up my EI regime though, maybe just reduce the amounts a bit?
Once you aren't adding CO2 you can reduce fertiliser levels. Whether you add fertilisers regularly in small doses, or just use the health of the floating plants as an indication of nutrient deficiency is entirely up to you.

You'll probably need to have a bit of a juggle with the light levels as well. I don't worry too much about how much light I have, I just increase the plant mass (and particularly the floaters) if I have a brighter light, but I'm not too bothered about aesthetics and I tend to believe a happy fish is one you don't see very often.

cheers Darrel

Thanks again Darrel.

I had a good think about it last night and I can't make my mind up about what to do as everything seems so well balanced at the moment (kiss of death!).

I must admit my primary reason for having the tank in the first place is purely aesthetic rather than a particular interest in flora and fauna (although I like to keep both happy). I'm a bit concerned about compromising the look of the tank with floating plants - of course they might actually make it look better though, decisions, decisions.

Cheers Rich. :)

Fate has struck, I managed to snap the glass u-connector on my CO2 tube last night so I took the whole thing off.... I'm now low tech! I'll order some floating plants today and see how it goes. :nailbiting:

Cheers Rich. :)

Fate has struck, I managed to snap the glass u-connector on my CO2 tube last night so I took the whole thing off.... I'm now low tech! I'll order some floating plants today and see how it goes. :nailbiting:

Dont!

Just get a cigarette filter from the shop the kind you use to roll your own. Squeeze one end into the co2 tubing and weigh the co2 tubing down with a plant weight.

You will be suprised how well it works as a diffuser I found it on YT when I needed a diffuser and store was closed very fine bubbles

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers Rich, good tip, but it's not the diffuser, it's just a glass u bend that goes over the top of the glass of the tank.

Back