• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrates that don't leach Ammonia

MikeC1408

I'm looking to replace the substrate in my current tank from gravel to a soil type.

As the tank is already cycled (been running circa 6 months) I will be looking at temp removing the shrimp, fish (mainly shrimp) and plants , change the substrate over re plant and then replace the water (50% old water removed and 50% new) and then replace the stock.

As I will be looking to replace the stock straight away I'm looking for something that does not leach Ammonia etc in the first few weeks so that's ADA Amazonia out the question.

I was led to believe that EBI Gold would be OK but then found the following posted by Freshwater Shrimp on here

. EBI will leech some ammonia and nitrite, perfect source of plant food and to help you cycle your shrimp tank. Maximum Ammonia and nitrite level measured in our tests was Ammonia 2 PPM, Nitrite 1 PPM

So my question is does anyone have any recommendations for something that meets the bill, maybe FSS?

Thanks

I'm looking to replace the substrate in my current tank from gravel to a soil type.

As the tank is already cycled (been running circa 6 months) I will be looking at temp removing the shrimp, fish (mainly shrimp) and plants , change the substrate over re plant and then replace the water (50% old water removed and 50% new) and then replace the stock.

As I will be looking to replace the stock straight away I'm looking for something that does not leach Ammonia etc in the first few weeks so that's ADA Amazonia out the question.

I was led to believe that EBI Gold would be OK but then found the following posted by Freshwater Shrimp on here

So my question is does anyone have any recommendations for something that meets the bill, maybe FSS?

Thanks

Benebachi red bee sand leeches no ammonia. I'm running it in one of my smaller set ups and no big ammonia jump

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Fluval Stratum doesn't leach either, Plant and Shrimp both. I have found it to be a pig to plant in though. I didn't rinse it and any water column sediment settled out within 24hrs to crystal water after filling the tank (sponge filtration only, no mechanical filtration).

How long does the leeching last for top soil? I didn't mineralize the soil and added my fish straight in. So far I've yet to see any ill-effects.

How long does the leeching last for top soil? I didn't mineralize the soil and added my fish straight in. So far I've yet to see any ill-effects.
It takes some time for the organics to start breaking down in large amounts and when they do there could be spikes. With low stock, enough water changes and lots of plants you can control it easily.

I would just replace with any substrate, plant heavy, use flaoting plants and not worry about ammonia and just do 50-75% daily water changes for the first week, reducing to every other day on the next couple of weeks and then reduce to a couple of water changes a week for a couple of months. Healthy plants will mop up the ammonia quicker then any bacteria.

If you're using old hardscape and exisiting plants don't wash them or the glass as baceria live on all surfaces. Try keeping your filter running in a bucket of old tank water or what ever. This will help with the transisition phase but just do big water changes.

Mike, Perhaps you have already changed your substrate. If not, I used Tetra Complete Substrate in a new tank. For a couple of weeks, it did leach a little ammonia but, once the nitrifying bacteria were established, any traces of ammonia were gone.

I have changed substrate before and just used daily dose of Amquel to remove ammonia. Works fine, fish all lived.

In fact my mate had to do it when once, when he broke his tank, by placing it straight on a wooden surface, with a grain of sand underneath and bottom sheet cracked. Got a new tank from advert in paper (free to good home), that came with masses of substrate, but all dry and unused. So transferred as much water as possible, topped water up with dechlorinated water, put in plants and fish and connected external filter. Ammonia was measurable he said, but dropped to zero upon adding Amquel. He still has this tank, years later.

Back