• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Natural Aquario sold?

Sorry guys, i'm completely out on this subject of NA and Aquavas. Is Aquavas the new name for NA o another brand?
It says ADA on it.

I thinks it's like a lot of things. People buy into the brand as a status symbol. It feels better to say you have an ADA filter rather than an Eheim etc.

I'm sure the build quality is superb. Compare it to a Rolex. Sure it's a nice looking and well made watch but it's basic function is to tell the time and it does this job no better than something that can be bought for a fraction of the price.

hummm.. I only have Eheim filters but know some people with ADA filters and that is "powerful", regarding the pump quality and the maintenance periods (>6 months or so) and with BioRio... which is a pain in the ass with Eheim filters but a very quality product. Also very easy to maintain... and Yes, they say ADA :)

For a 90 cm we'ee using super jet es-1200. Really powefull one. I think this is stronger than 2080 from eheim. The big thing is about these filters, the filter housing cools down the water a little (better heat exchange) and will never leak. Like almost all plastic filters nowadays. Still an investment

£961 - for a hobby, that's an investment too rich for me. I can understand for professional it could make sense if only for the offset VAT and tax.

Personally I don't believe in status, high class or clubs... I just believe in quality. A wood cabinet made specially for me by an excellent artisan will cost at least half the price... So, I don't see any advantage in paying more. Regarding technical equipment, for the moment my feeling is that if my planted tanks aren't better it is not because I don't have a top quality filter, tank or lily pipes. It is just because I have to improve my technical and aesthetical skills.
Luxury is a pleasure for people that feel pleasure with it, the problem is when people think that it is a need (and companies like the ones mentioned support this idea, of course this is business...)

Last edited:
I don't think any of us are whinging mate. Just making a comment on a range of products and if they are worth the money. Can't see anything wrong in that.

I don't think any of us are whinging mate. Just making a comment on a range of products and if they are worth the money. Can't see anything wrong in that.

Yes I suppose, but don't you find it boring?

We know ADA is expensive, that TMC are great for a 'budget' rimless setup and that NA were somewhere in between. So nothings changed. Still.

Don't find it boring. I want to be sure the things I buy are effective and worth the money. That requires research, analysis and discussion. Someone who can afford a full ADA setup can probably afford to pay someone else to maintain their system.

Also, because of our nature to worship brands, some folks spend money on branded snake oils (e.g. Penac,Tourmaline), when they might very well have more important things to spend money on instead of filling Amano's coffers.

Don't find it boring. I want to be sure the things I buy are effective and worth the money. That requires research, analysis and discussion. Someone who can afford a full ADA setup can probably afford to pay someone else to maintain their system.

Also, because of our nature to worship brands, some folks spend money on branded snake oils (e.g. Penac,Tourmaline), when they might very well have more important things to spend money on instead of filling Amano's coffers.

But thats still a choice.

You lot (aquascapers) is a tiny part of the industry :p plus a very demanding one :) so companies cant really count on it. However I have noticed a lot of bigger german brands developing more aquascaping products during Interzoo visit. Denerrle, Tropica, JBL, most likely others also are all expanding their scaping range which is a good thing.
The best thing about the filters as Victor said is powerful high quality japanese pumps and I do hope to see the aquavas filters at a half price once they introduce them separately.

lot of bigger german brands developing more aquascaping products during Interzoo visit. Denerrle, Tropica, JBL,

Just fit perfectly to the price discussion. You all will be surprised that these general brands now target ADA market with their pricing. The new soils from these companies cost the same as Aqua Soil as i see. JBL tools etc.
So we will see either a cost increase in the hobby or the giants fail.

Just fit perfectly to the price discussion. You all will be surprised that these general brands now target ADA market with their pricing. The new soils from these companies cost the same as Aqua Soil as i see. JBL tools etc.
So we will see either a cost increase in the hobby or the giants fail.

ADA was the pioneer of luxury aquariums, but there's room for more brands, as it happens with other products (for example cars). I have also noticed that most enriched substrates have now very similar prices.
But yes, at the end and as always that this issue is discussed in this kind of threads... It is a matter of choice. You trust it, you can afford it, you pay it.

Jordi

OK pedants! :)
Current Price at The Green Machine
ADA Wood Cabinet Silver £1,150.00
ADA Cube Garden 90P £509.00
Cover Glass £25.00
Cube Garden Hooks £9.99
Base Mat £39.00
Grand Solar II 4*36W £673.79
Grand Solar Stand £265.53
Superjet ES1200 £769.99
Delivery £0.00
Total £3,442.30

Aquavas $3,059.00
£1,823.00

Difference £1,619.30

So the difference is double. .................... Hope products will be soon available separately and in different colour options. I prefer mine in white.
The thing with the prices above and saying the ADA is double is a bit misleading. If Aquavas do a straight $ -> £ conversion depending on the current exchange rate Ill eat my hat as historically in good ole rip off britain $4000 in the US means £4000 here.

PS, ADA cabs must have gold brackets or something to be that much!!

As Ed says they do some great looking kit but I'd be more interested if they sold it separately. I didnt like their lights when I last saw them as the metal on the solar 1 copy was a lot thinner than the real thing.

Does anyone use their filters? Or the ADA versions they ape for that matter. They would appear very, very expensive for what looks like a tin version of the Eheim classic range. What makes them so superior to the many popular externals everyone else uses?
There's a few analogies that can be said here, some about ladies of the night but the polite one is that the pumps on these will suck a golf ball through a hose. Well not really but you get the idea that they are really powerful. Ive never had to prime my ES-600 as it just spits the air out and keeps on chugging. They are solid beasts that would probably be like a cockroach and still keep chugging along after a nuclear attack.

Hmm ok. But yes ES600 is not enough for 90. Having a light with only 1 metal halide? No thanks.....

Agree on the ES600, it needs a 1200 for a 90cm. Dont agree about the Solar 1 for a 90cm. Its plenty and my last three IAPLC entries have been from a Solar 1 150W MH ;)

Looks great to view as a point source but I will admit its a bit crap for video due to the contrast. Its great at growing plants too.

The price wont be 1$ to 1£. It will be normal exchange. Plus if I am not mistaken the price includes delivery to your door. Dont quote me on that though. Stu you will have to eat some hats :p I think it is still manufactured in Europe so it should make things easier. There is no need to import from US. With a higher price there surely be much better quality control also so a little win for us all.
Stu I did not mean that solar 1 has not enough power. Its just the only way to control it is changing height. And I do hate the look of the tank under any colour rendition metal halides. Havent seen people using halides much in the past and especially now.

In regards to Tropica they are not entering ADA league at all. The only thing which is expensive is soil and it has similar price as all the rest. Tropica claim it to be a very close alternative to aquasoil in performance.
Other products include root tabs, scaping tools and diffuser.
Tools imho are great and good value also. They have only chose 2 tools and after some thinking you can see why. Both tweesers and scissors are most flexible in terms of use. I fell in love with the tweesers straight away and after several days started to like the scissors also.
Diffuser is brilliant and I have been waiting for it for more than a year. It is the same one they have in their co2 nano kit. Best bit is the price. Its half what I thought it will be. Curious to test root tabs now.
Its hard to make all products great in the range but I really think Tropica has done a great job. The only thing I miss from them is proper regulator.

Back