• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil A150W "Amazon Sun" review

Hi Rasmusm
What has been you experience over past 7 months?

Hey

Its a lovely led lamp! Light is still amazing and plants grow fast under it :)!
Only thing I can complain about is the gooseneck not beeing "long" enough. Could use another 20cm or something like that. Because its a bit dark in the edges of my tank.. Tank is 60x30x30cm. Guess I could solve it by hanging the light instead.

So thumbs up from here :)!

I meant tank is 60x40x30cm
I didnt knew there was a thing like that :)! Thanks will look into that!

I can grap a few pictures later or, when I get home

11tq0s4.jpg

2mg1pwi.jpg

90sk02.jpg

I managed to do it from my phone :) here it is

i had a look at the 160 and 360 tuna's at Evolution Aqua yesterday and they look really good. the fan noise on the 160 is quite quiet now so Im assuming an improvement on the old ones that were noisy. The controller for them is very cool too. almost like an ipod of old with colour screen and touch sensitive buttons beneath.

I meant tank is 60x40x30cm
I didnt knew there was a thing like that :)! Thanks will look into that!

I can grap a few pictures later or, when I get home
Nice little jungle.
I think the 90 adapter would help, but you also seem to have a lot of ambient light from the window too. Is that not a problem?

i had a look at the 160 and 360 tuna's at Evolution Aqua yesterday and they look really good. the fan noise on the 160 is quite quiet now so Im assuming an improvement on the old ones that were noisy. The controller for them is very cool too. almost like an ipod of old with colour screen and touch sensitive buttons beneath.

Stuworrall,
did you manage to grab the prices? Evolution Aqua's web page doesn't yet have any pricing info up yet.
I fear that the cool controller may be too smart, and too expensive for my future needs.

If you can, could you ask them, if they could test the new A160WE on a Current USA Single Channel Ramp Timer
Most aquascapers usually just need a single light to control with a simple ramp, unlike the marine crowd - for which Kessil controller was designed for, with too many fancy features.
I specifically wrote to Current USA this week to find out about compatibility, but their reply was: "Dear Hobbyist, The 0-10v controller ships with a transformer that is compatible with 100-240 volt AC. We do not know if the 0-10v controller would be compatible with Kessils light or any future models they may product."

Last edited:
Lots of sun light yea. I recently moved to my girlfriends apartment, so tank got a bright spot. There is however some dimming stuff on the windows.
No the sun light wasnt a problem until I changed my co2 bottle and co2 went slightly down. Then with much light things go fast in the wrong direction :)!
I think the 90 degree adaptor will do a good job raising the lamp a bit to get more light out in the edges

Stuworrall,
did you manage to grab the prices? Evolution Aqua's web page doesn't yet have any pricing info up yet.
I fear that the cool controller may be too smart, and too expensive for my future needs.

If you can, could you ask them, if they could test the new A160WE on a Current USA Single Channel Ramp Timer
Most aquascapers usually just need a single light to control with a simple ramp, unlike the marine crowd - for which Kessil controller was designed for, with too many fancy features.
I specifically wrote to Current USA this week to find out about compatibility, but their reply was: "Dear Hobbyist, The 0-10v controller ships with a transformer that is compatible with 100-240 volt AC. We do not know if the 0-10v controller would be compatible with Kessils light or any future models they may product."
I was doing some product photography for Evolution Aqua so Im guessing their website will be updated soon once theyve launched. Their new marine and aquascaping tanks are very nice! Top quality silicon and beautiful cabs, probably the best Ive seen without trying to be biased and the gloss ones have several colours

Jeremy has given these prices below but at the time they didnt know the answer re the USA single channel timer. Have you tried Kessil support in the USA with it being a US product?

The prices at RRP are as follows:

Kessil A360 Tuna Sun £369.99
Kessil A160 Tuna Sun £229.99

Gooseneck £24.95
Gooseneck 90 degree adaptor £14.95
Spectral Controller £99.95

Im getting some A360 tuna's and a controller for my 120cm so Ill let you know how they get on with the new tank when Ive got it running.

Thanks for prices.
Ouch, for my planned 60cm tank, I could nearly get an ADA Aquasky 602 with two LED stripes for that money (A160WE + neck + adapter)

Thanks for prices.
Ouch, for my planned 60cm tank, I could nearly get an ADA Aquasky 602 with two LED stripes for that money (A160WE + neck + adapter)
You could even get the 601 which is not so overkill, which still delivers plenty of light and is much cheaper... But be careful, not sure if it can be dimmed and you won't be able to raise it

Jordi

You could even get the 601 which is not so overkill, which still delivers plenty of light and is much cheaper... But be careful, not sure if it can be dimmed and you won't be able to raise it

Jordi
Parotet, what you say is very true.
I am just a bit saddened by the fact that both are 'premium' category priced, and it is just basically a question of which light spreading style one prefers, not a question a price vs value. I look forward to forum members trying these lights out and sharing their experiences, while I continue saving for the dream tech kit. I have not seen Kessils in person, but I 'think' I would prefer the shadows and shimmering over the very homogenous and uniform look of the aquaskys or T5 quads.

I just wanted to follow up on this, I ordered the 90degree adaptor, that made a nice difference! I think it raised the lamp about 20cm extra.
20141017_175031_2014-10-17.jpg

All the big sword leafes are blocking the light a bit, also a bit dark photo :p but I deffently got more light out to the corners

Plenty of light for 74l
20141017_175126_2014-10-17.jpg

Last edited:
Back