• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

Nearly forgot this one:

16991611595_bc5b901245.jpg

Used to be Encyclia cochleata (didn't even know it changed!)
- I've still got one, and it's really easy and reliable to flower every year !! I think it was popular called "octopus orchid" because of the appearance of the "upside-down" oriented flower, looking like that.

Hi all,
The Pleione displays were amazing, there are some more pictures of them, I really do need to get some, although flowering season is probably over soon
They aren't really houseplants, some of them are hardy in the UK, but they don't like warm, wet winters. Paul Christian is probably your best bet <"http://rareplants.co.uk/prodtype.asp?s=e4oa9t1121144&strParents=&CAT_ID=690&numRecordPosition=1">.

I've killed plenty of them, but the one I still have (from earlier in the thread) is just about to come into flower.

cheers Darrel

I always wanted to try jewel orchids in a vivarium setting, that should be possible.
In my garden i have a marsh orchid (Dactylorhiza majalis, planted from a gardencentre)
and a Epipactis helleborine (wild , sown from seedpods collected on the golfcourse).

Last edited:
They aren't really houseplants, some of them are hardy in the UK, but they don't like warm, wet winters. Paul Christian is probably your best bet <"http://rareplants.co.uk/prodtype.asp?s=e4oa9t1121144&strParents=&CAT_ID=690&numRecordPosition=1">.

Thanks for that link Darrel! Just the thing I need. I don't think I'll get them anytime soon due to trying to rescue my new purchases. But I'll definitely aim to get some pleiones at some point.

Used to be Encyclia cochleata (didn't even know it changed!)

Your right Mick, the names seem to be constantly changing over the recent years which I have noticed from researching certain species as they have multiple names.

Here are 10 more photos:

16809730308_7c261bfccb.jpg

16997465495_0cd67d05c4.jpg

16809738688_5134ce7490.jpg

16375085384_e3ef79f59a.jpg

16809999740_30d5b27b47.jpg

16811278909_5ffa7be81c.jpg

16809736468_35c9c1f2dd.jpg

16996066982_23b77134c1.jpg

16377378503_7e4c21647c.jpg

16810001630_dfaa25a6fe.jpg

Enjoy!

Time for a small text update on some orchids (hopefully pictures will follow tomorrow). The D. Kingianum and its cultivator from Darrel are putting out new growths. The cultivator's new growth is also sending out a new one, quite strange to me since it's not even a 2-3cm tall and it has a new growth of its own, but I'll take it. The D. Delicatum is still around but no new growths yet.

The C. Cristata has a new rhizome/growth coming but I can't take a picture now, since the old root is developing some new root tips which are peeking out of the pot, and the new growth is at the underside of the existing pseudo-bulbs. That is not something I think it will benefit as the kitchen's humidity is not the best for aerial roots of a coelogyne. I'll likely order some dried sphagnum moss for a top dressing.

The new growths on the rescue Cattelyas are very promising, there are also lots of new roots. It has come a long way since it had no roots when I got it. I can't wait to see what the flowers look like.

The new Coelogyne Fimbriata is looking good also, the new growths are coming along, one of the new rhizome is start to show signs of developing into a pseudo-bulb at the end of it, it will be interesting to see the stages of its development.

The Neofinetia Falcata which I thought had a virus has showed no signs of leaf deterioration after I removed the affected leaves and used cinnamon powder to seal the wounds. However, the other leaves show signs of dark green patches when the lights hit them. It is sort of like green spot algae but bigger. I have no idea what it is but there are no leaf loss anymore.

Now for some depressing stuff, I've found my first pest infestation on the window in the living room. There are mealy bugs! Now from looking around, there are two plants with them, a phal and a paph. There are not a lot of the bugs from a quick look around, but I don't doubt that there are some inside the pots. I've done some reading and found that the 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol should be effective in killing them and also neem oil as a helpful deterrent. I'll be ordering them and in the mean time manually removing any I can see. It is also probably worth me using the same treatment on the surround plant and the windowsill just in case. Any other tips will be appreciated.

I used to have some mealy and scale bugs in my time, i used to clean the plant in water, just rub and brush everything of under running water, and then i used some Malathion which i bought in Wisley (;) of all places).

i have similar dendrobium has pea sized flowers sadly not in bloom though

Back