• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dark Land (300l) - Now with FTS of the first days.

Thank you for sharing all your tips regarding the hardscape design, really useful. This tank is stunning, as usual Pedro. I agree with Luis, you are in another level

Jordi

Thank You Guys!!!

Thank you for sharing all your tips regarding the hardscape design, really useful. This tank is stunning, as usual Pedro. I agree with Luis, you are in another level
Jordi

hehe, No I'm not :p I just made a huge effort to make something different. It's GREAT to me that so many people are liking it and sharing it on Facebook.

The scape is simply amazing.
Something so beautiful thruly deserves to be admired.
It must be amazing going home in the end of the day and relax looking at that.

In some days i'll post a "in situ" photo (that one was one of the few that i shared on FB some weeks ago) that i love very much.
The last video will also have some images of the whole aquarium and the place in my living room.

Hi Pedro,

Another great looking tank. The detail in it is amazing. Congratulations!

I was wondering about the silicon you use. I was thinking to do something similar for an upcoming scape. Do you find it easy to remove when you break down the scape?

CD

I have to admit Pedro, I love your tanks.

You posted this one in the Nordic Scapers group on Facebook a couple of days ago and I had to look up some of your previous work!
I can only repeat what has already been said... you are a Pro!

Hi Pedro,
Another great looking tank. The detail in it is amazing. Congratulations!
I was wondering about the silicon you use. I was thinking to do something similar for an upcoming scape. Do you find it easy to remove when you break down the scape?
CD

Well 95% was removed easily. Then you have those bits that are difficult but no serious problems. I'ts better to try not to glue many things to the glass...

I have to admit Pedro, I love your tanks.
You posted this one in the Nordic Scapers group on Facebook a couple of days ago and I had to look up some of your previous work!
I can only repeat what has already been said... you are a Pro!

Thanks. I'll keep om making some PP to the photos and will upload more on the next days.

Time for some more photos from Day 61 to Day 120… next time i’ll post i think i’ll post everything else.

Fortunately i had no major problems with this aquarium. Very lucky and proud for making this grow better then i wished (trim, trim, trim…).
My fertilisation was based on EI and at some point i was giving more then suggested by Tom. At a later time i’ll change it but i’ll describe that in due time.

I think that the growth rate can be seen mainly on the Full Tank Shots I show.

First some macros:

20150405-darkland-1.jpg

I wished that Cuba could start falling from the slope, without lifting up from the substrate. Lots of work for getting that done.
One important note: when it gets to difficult to get Cuba on Substrate, you can trim it and them get some metal “clips” inserting one end of the clip on one side and the other some cm apart. With that you can get it on the substrate and let the roots grow stronger again because it was trimmed and get more light. At a later trim the clips can get out (or not).

20150402-darkland2.jpg

20150405-darkland-3.jpg

A FTS for Day 70

20150411-darkland1.jpg

This is Monte Carlo. It's on two or three places at the front. I used MC at the front because the leafs are bigger then Cuba (at the back). A great depth of field can be achieved:

20150405-darkland-2.jpg

Some shots with a Canon 6D and a 24mm from different angles:

20150411-darkland2.jpg

20150411-darkland3.jpg

20150411-darkland4.jpg

An update on one of the Buces:

20150412-darkland1.jpg

A FTS for Day 85 - lots of green… very little red, that would partially change in the future.

20150426-darkland1.jpg

Some details:

20150426-darkland2.jpg

Some “in situ” photos… It’s nice to see this when entering the living room…

20150427-darkland1.jpg

20150427-darkland2.jpg

A FTP for Day 106… overgrown :)

20150517-darkland1.jpg

Details of the right side… 6 spieces of plants :)

20150517-darkland2.jpg

My beautiful Simulans:

20150517-darkland3.jpg

20150530-darkland1.jpg

20150530-darkland2.jpg

Another “in situ” (made of 6 photos):

20150518-darkland1.jpg

The same Buce growing very well…

20150530-darkland3.jpg

Queen Moss from Vasteq. Beautiful and easy moss.

20150530-darkland4.jpg

Rotala Colorata:

20150531-darkland1.jpg

Cuba near the top of the water:

20150531-darkland2.jpg

After the photos a little video of 4 min with some maintenance and nice transitions beetween images with weeks apart.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
The tanks, your home, the images the videos... the whole composition! Just fabulous! :clap:

May I ask you which cam you are using + lens?

Cheers,
Chris

Queen moss is quite a weed! It tends to attach everywhere, very easy attached to any hardscape, to the point where it's hard to get it rid off. Nice plant, but I can imagine how hard to trim all those mosses.

Such great tank requires a lot of maintenance. Kudos to your hard work!

The tanks, your home, the images the videos... the whole composition! Just fabulous! :clap:
May I ask you which cam you are using + lens?

Thanks Chris. Normally I use a Canon 60D with a 17-85mm but at times I can use some other equipment like the 100mm f/2.8. On these last photos some of them were taken with a Canon 6D + 24mm borrowed from Canon Portugal for a workshop (so I took some at home also :D).
I also use the extension tube for macros (most of my macros).

Queen moss is quite a weed! It tends to attach everywhere, very easy attached to any hardscape, to the point where it's hard to get it rid off. Nice plant, but I can imagine how hard to trim all those mosses.
Such great tank requires a lot of maintenance. Kudos to your hard work!

Right Alexander! A great moss for wood.
Love your tanks also!!! Those plants, those colors... huge work you have also.

Pedro, can you tell me the value of EI?

Sure. Ready? :p

This is my recipe:
500 ml water
KNO3 - 45g
KH2PO4 - 6g
K2SO4 - 32g
MgSO4,7H2O - 35g

Start dosing 25ml x3 week. Gives me:
NO3 (EI advises 20ppm) - for each 25ml -> 6,9 ; so 3x week = 20,7
PO4 (EI advises 3ppm) - for each 25ml -> 1,0 ; so 3x week =3,1
K (EI advises 30ppm) - for each 25ml -> 8,4 ; so 3x week =25,1
Mg (EI advises10ppm) - for each 25ml -> 0,9 ; so 3x week = 2,6

At the second/third month i was giving 40 ml :) A lot!
Only made tests on the first months to know if i was giving enough. After upgrading the value and made some tests again i stopped making tests. Don't make test for the last 3 or 4 months.

I'm a relaxed guy with my aquariums. BUT I do strictly 1x water change 50% per week (sunday morning) and macro/micro/macro/micro/macro/micro every week except Saturday.
I don't have a precise balance (balance or scales? What's the best english word?) - I use the kitchen one :) So i can put 8g and not 6g of KH2PO4.... but who cares? Tom & Clive way of thinking works for me :)
Oh! I also use some times ADA Green Gain (after trimming) and Phyton GIT every Water Change (both of them a little less then ADA suggests ... they don't come cheap :D).

One interesting experience i'm making. For the last 6 weeks i stopped giving macros and made a recipe only with K2SO4, so i was only giving K. Why? Trying to get a better red from Rotala Colorata. It worked but not as much as i would like :(
No algae except very little BBA on some wood that you can see only in macro shots or video.
The growth rate is also a bit slower but everything is healthy.
For others that are reading this, the aquarium had already almost 6 months when i tried that and i watched very careful what was happening on the first weeks. It's not common and could lead so algae outbreak. So don't blame me if you do it :) I have ADA Powersand & Aquasoil (important note).
I gave micros like before.

Was that clear?

I think Chris has covered it. I absolutely agree!

Another stunner Pedro, love the fact you have such quick turnarounds ;)
keep it up fella, awesome work.

Pedro, do you use other "micro" or trace elements despite MgSO4? In my tanks I found that red plants positively react on increased level of PO4 comparing to NO3 (you already had that) and additional Fe.

Also, I noticed quite big heater in your tank. That's not big problem in big tank, but in my 60L I want to get it off the tank to have more space for scape itself, but unfortunately can't have external heater (Hydor, but also it has bad reputation, so additional temp controller is a must, IMO). Have you ever considered switch to external heater?

Back