• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show your orchids!

16488259363_313f3c8f72_b.jpg

here are some oncidiums. thought i could add a shot of my garden from were the oncidiums are
16901039157_b4af3dfce3_b.jpg

Hi all,
Last one is also cheating, because the flower is a double white "Florist's" Azalea, but the orchid is in the pot next to it. I'll take the same photo later in the spring, and hopefully things will look a lot different.
Here is the updated Pleione picture. The Azalea is still flowering and I haven't watered the Pleione yet since the Autumn, I'll start to water it as the flower dies, and then it will get a lot of water all the time it is in leaf.
IMG_0047_zpszp3xqwg1.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsyf5bgu6y.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Looks brilliant such a rich colour
They are nice, but they don't flower for very long.

I originally had 2 non-flowering size pseudobulbs given to me by some-one who had grown them from seed. It is a "grex" and there are better selected forms like Pleione Vesuvius "Leopard"

I'd told them that I'd killed plenty, and he told me they were "easy" if you kept them really dry until the leaf (really the new roots) were in growth. I'd always kept mine just damp through the winter, and the new shoot had rotted off when I start watering them more freely in early spring.

They grow a new pseudobulb every year, so damage to the new shoot is nearly always fatal.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Not much yet, but here is my little baby Bulbophylum on a little trunk and a bed of Sphagnum and some other moss. They should be easy to grow, but this one is still very young, tiny and still strugling a bit to gather strenght. Don't know if she's willing to flower this year. :)

htKYYAQ.jpg

Very nice!! Never seen it before.. Usualy you see spathyfillums in this size.. But this!? realy stunning flower.. Thanks for sharing.. :)

Hi all,
even tho' I had to tilt my head on its side to view it properly
I don't know why it is sideways, it is the right way up in photobucket.
it looks like they don't receive too much light?
The bathroom is SE facing, but it is well back from the window. The scapes have grown towards the light and the plant is now too big to turn around.
Usualy you see spathyfillums in this size..
It is a substantial plant, the flower scapes are about 80cm tall, and each flower is small tea cup sized.

I've probably reached time to divide it, but I'm a bit reluctant because it is evergreen and never goes dormant.

cheers Darrel

I've probably reached time to divide it, but I'm a bit reluctant because it is evergreen and never goes dormant.

i can imagine, dividing such a big one is tricky.. even more if it is in the pot shown and no second plastick pot inside. Sometimes its better to sacrifice the pot and smash it with a hamer. Fidling such a big beauty out of the pot will almost always damage it, already before it's diveded.. No idea actualy if it is realy necesary. I got 1 plant already for 14 years in the same pot, once every several years i take a spoon and scratch of the surface as deep as i can and refill it with new soil.. Works already 12 years like a charm.. :)

Back