• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I really like the "Long term manteinance" topic, I´m planning my next tank and I´m considering to mantain it at least a few years.
Wonderful job !
Thank you so much Robert. One good thing about a long term and low maintenance project is that it will look presentable even if you sometimes don't have the possibility to do your weekly maintenance. I've been away a few times for up to 3 months at a time and the tank is ok when I return. I guess for that to work it needs to be a fairly big set up with large filtration and well established.

I've just realized I never posted a video with the full lights on, so here's one short one I did today just with my iPhone.
ALL sterbai hiding (I've been doing too much trimming for their liking...)

Thanks for watching. Questions and suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited:
Wow looks superb! Those red tetras pop against the green that's for sure. Do you have many shrimp?

Wow looks superb! Those red tetras pop against the green that's for sure. Do you have many shrimp?
Thank you again. There are many, many shrimp - hundreds. Red phantoms occasionally hunt down one or two. I would say on average they perhaps catch two a day. I also have about 5 or 6 Amano shrimp. They are the senior citizens of my tank - all at least 8 years old (I haven't bought any for the last 8 years)
I´m going to keep an eye on this thread. I suscribed to your youtube channel too. :)
Thank you!

Hi, stunning tank. Did you shoot the video with filters off? I'm still fiddling with my outlets to try and reduce turbulance in plants but not reduce flow.

Really nice! ..i love the combine carpet with cryptocorynes ;)
Thank you. They are perfect carpeting plant for a bigger tank as you can trim them right back.
Hi, stunning tank. Did you shoot the video with filters off? I'm still fiddling with my outlets to try and reduce turbulance in plants but not reduce flow.
Thank you. All filters are on in the video. I have arranged the two filter outlets in a way that they create a gentle but powerful clockwise circular water movement in the tank. The left back side outlet (behind the flame moss) is directed so that the flow goes along the top of the back wall of the tank, direction left-right. There are no plants to abstract the flow there. The right back side outlet (behind and above the windelov java fern) is pointing towards the front of the tank, just slightly to the left to aid the circular water flow in the tank, direction right-left. Both inlets are positioned right at the bottom of the tank (both back corners), just above the gravel to make sure there are no stagnant areas in the tank

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I'm hindered by having a built in sump weir that I couldn't take out so I can't direct flow across the back of the glass. Using an o bubble outlet along with a jet outlet but think I'll make both o bubble.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fandango, what happened with your denisonii barbs? Did you had toubles with them anh cherry shrimps?
they got really big and were out of proportion with the rest of the tank. I would only recommend them for super big tanks. Also they ate a lot of shrimp. I exchanged them along with some 25 sterbas corydoras (all born and raised in my tank) for 40 red phantom tetras and 10 black phantom tetras - a common combination in many of Amano setups (youtube ADAview)

Last edited:
It's fantastic to read a journal started in 2008, when the tank was already set up for many years, and see it still going now in 2016. You have a lovely aquarium, I really enjoyed seeing it develop and change over the years. :thumbup:

Back