• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going Dutch by the book - tank sponsored by Tropica

Some updates… starting 15 days after the last ones.
I'm probably starting to repeat some type os photos... sorry.

I’m very happy with the health of the tank. Completely clean from algae with no need for water changes or other type of maintenance besides the 50% water change at sundays.
Maintenance is around 3 hours (mainly trimming and replanting, but includes water change).
Even the glass stays clean from sunday to sunday.
Fish are happy and 0 deaths.

A large quantity of plants, good fertilisation and a good schedule of maintenances are paying!
I also believe that, for the fish health and top of the water surface, the small air pump and good air diffuser (~5 hours at night) are also contributing.

It’s obvious that i wouldn’t say badly about Tropica products (Soil, ferts and plants) in this topic, but i’m really very happy with this only-tropica tank and the way is going. Couldn’t say better things for the “complete Tropica pack” and it’s the first time with the soil.

Regarding the layout… there are some things i would like to improve, like the Rotana Macandra “road” and i should have chosen a larger Cryptocoryne.
I suppose that for a “small” Dutch (120x50cm) the depth and appearance are not very bad.

Some infos:
1) Montecarlo it at the middle/foreground;
2) Eleocharis sp. and UG are out;
3) Ciperus are at the right side/wall;
4) Crinun was partially changed to go more to the left/wall (it’s now growing very well and it’s easily seen at the last photos);
5) Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B' entered behind Bacopa and in front of Myriophyllum let’s wait for some large leafs to appear;
6) 1 - 3 cm of substrate at the front and keep trying to get some nice borders between the plants (difficult with the mad growing).
7) 20 new Hyphessobrycon Ornatus white fin Tetra

Day 70:

View attachment 79162

Details of the new Hyphessobrycon Ornatus white fin Tetra:

View attachment 79163

View attachment 79164

View attachment 79165

View attachment 79166

Some details of plants:

View attachment 79167

Really in love with Lobelia. It's there for such a long time and it's the first time i use it:

View attachment 79168

Staurogyne Repens and CO2 bubbles...

View attachment 79169

Congo Tetras are mainly at the middle/top and Ornatus white fin Tetra at the bottom:

View attachment 79170

Day 71:

View attachment 79171

View attachment 79172

View attachment 79173

View attachment 79174

Some underwater lettuce :) (love this photo!)

View attachment 79175

The bad guys...

View attachment 79176

View attachment 79177

View attachment 79178

View attachment 79179

Day 77:

View attachment 79180

View attachment 79181

View attachment 79182

Day 78:

View attachment 79183

Day 80:

View attachment 79184

View attachment 79185

Bacopa:

View attachment 79186

Day 84:

View attachment 79187

I’ll now prepare a trim for a video (and photo) shooting without equipment for the 3 months milestone.

Pedro.

looks fantastic, hope I can aspire to reach this someday!

Stunning pedro.
Congos do that, they used to eat almost ever new anubia leaf in my African tank. Very annoying. This doesn't look any the worst for it though, no doubt you grow it quicker than they can eat it!

It grows but for 4 or 5 months they were very quite. I suppose they're growing and needing more food :)

Hi there,

A few days agora i took a few pictures and shared on FB. Forgot to post them here :oops:
Well, here they are...

Day 227, a trimmed tank :D

day-227-20160502-1.jpg

... and now for "Something Completely Different": a non-trimmed tank :D

day-246-20160521-1.jpg

... and some details:

day-246-20160521-2.jpg

day-246-20160521-3.jpg

Enjoy.

Thanks for the non-trimmed version! Good for us newbies to see how much it takes to create and maintain this sort of scape!

... I don't know exactly when but a video of the lifetime of the aquarium (since day 0) should come in the near future!

Pedro.

... I don't know exactly when but a video of the lifetime of the aquarium (since day 0) should come in the near future!

Pedro.

A reminder of previous request ;)
- I'm not consistent enough with trimming (nor knowledgeable enough :oops: ), it would be great to see video detail

I'd love to see a video of the trim & tank maintenance, followed by tank regrowth :angelic:

PS did the Congo's get to stay or did you manage to remove them without plant destruction

A reminder of previous request ;)
- I'm not consistent enough with trimming (nor knowledgeable enough :oops: ), it would be great to see video detail

It's there ;)

PS did the Congo's get to stay or did you manage to remove them without plant destruction

Still there. Very difficult to catch :(

Thanks Alexander :)
Well, here it goes:

A video of this Aquarium from the creation to day two hundred and something :) ... the lifetime of a Dutch.

Enjoy.

Pedro.

Back