• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Another update, a few quick iPhone shots of the scape halfway through trimming, trimmed, and finally the large amount of trimmed plant mass...

It's looking a bit spartan, but it'll soon grow back, and so far each time it does it looks a little better than before.

29657249781_ce3b283afb_c.jpg
29738848605_d9106093fc_c.jpg
29113940343_12f4a250cc_c.jpg

@tim and @CooKieS, I'm way ahead of you on that, although @Greenfinger2 Roy I didn't use the trimmings from this tank;)

And @Nelson, thanks Neil.

I've been meaning to create a Wabi-Kusa thingy, but never got round to it until yesterday.
I've used the black tights, Tropica plant substrate, and Christmas moss method and stuck in a few crypts...parva, wendetii compact, green and tropica. And just for the hell of it some of the java fern you sent me tim:)

I've jammed it in on the flat recess of the stump just below the waterline and trimmed the leaves back...we'll see how it does:rolleyes:

29113951823_5f797fa360_c.jpg
29627152792_7068e360bd_c.jpg
29111781184_5b4c949aed_c.jpg
29738836655_0df090d9f6_c.jpg
29113935733_bf30dcdeb0_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I may as well throw in some close ups as well and, at the total opposite end of the spectrum, a final shot of the tank in context...

29113938963_b301b7fbbc_c.jpg

29111772374_baf5755fc1_c.jpg
29113932823_19dfdc3808_c.jpg
29627155302_f3e70db7ce_c.jpg
29627133632_f050847d96_c.jpg

Last edited:
updates looking very good. the bright, fresh green carpet in contrast to the dark shadowing around the wood is fabulous, and looking very healthy

Awsome idea with the substarte ball on top.. :thumbup: Nice pictures too..
Seeing it now as complete picture in the room it looks realy stunning.. I had the same idea scape in mind with rock instead of wood in a shallow cube and imagined a small lilly with floaters where you planted the parva..

@zozo, thanks Marcel. That's sounds like a great idea. I did something similar with an Aponogeton sp. I think it was a natans/ulvaceus hybrid, anyway it produced floating leaves and looked amazing.
detaildropchecker_zpse31359b0-jpg.42529.jpg

Aponogeton sp.
Also great plant, lately ordered the tru natans from Indonesia (ebay) only one selling it, but both times it arrived completely dried out. So i give up on it ordering it.. It's a rare plant to find. I guess it will be ecause of it's alledged dormancy. But a truely wonderfull plant.. :thumbup: Whit the lilie is also a stunning eye catcher in such a setup.. The only drawback could be the 10x turnover in a high tech. That's not what the floaters like, if these find no rest and kept dragged under they keep on growing.. More and other floaters to give the lilies floater support are realy needed. So the lilies floater is not constantly dragged under by the flow.

Also got one in the low tech now.. See the stem of the floater, it keeps growing and curling because it still gets to much flow for now. And it's only 4x turnover
DSCF7753 (Kopie).JPG

This is a burgundy princess.. They say to large for aquarium.. But that's not fully true.. If a very young small runner is cut away from the adult tuber and planted it will take several years before it becomes to big. That is if not regularly trimmed.. This one is such a runner cut off a 5 x 5mm piece from the adult tuber and planted it 7 months ago. Shrimps are a perfect size comparison.. This one is for years to come.. :) Aledged unsuitable for aquarium.. Myth busted.. We have many options more then described.. :thumbup:

DSCF7752 (Kopie).JPG

It seems I was a little pessimistic with regards the numbers of rasbora left...
I happened to look over at the tank today, whilst working at my desk, and there were in excess of 22 in a tight shoal; haven't seen that many together since they were first introduced,
Waited, with my iPhone pressed up against the glass, for a decent shot; only a few of them obliged though...and not a decent shot to be had, unfortunately.
These are the best I got....thought I'd post them anyway, if only as proof of existence;)

29711542721_077e6ba96a_c.jpg
29758271056_f99ea86a6b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh! The black tights what a great idea. I was sewing bags with thread and needle and that was... not very efficient and not that easy lol. Looks great and lush! Love the office/workspace set-up!

Thanks for the kind comments guys, just noticed them. My participation is a bit sporadic at the mo';)
The scape has been left to its own devices recently, only one water change in about a month, and it's becoming overgrown...just waiting for my HC carpet to start lifting:(
But just don't have the time or inclination for an extended maintenance session. Will post a pic soon.

Back