• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Olympus is Calling.

Zeus.

Fertz Meister
Hi all

Since starting this 'Journal' as a complete Newbie, I have been given the great Honour of it becoming a Featured Journal. I have/will be working on trying to get as much detail down as possible by adding historical content and getting some better Pics, without removing the historical note of the journey. Was is missing is all the help I have received help from many UKAPS members and Moderators via PMs along the way which has made this tank possible. Plus the many hours of reading post/threads

Thanks Guys :thumbup: its your friendly help and content thats made it all possible and great fun along the way :clap:

_________________________________________________________________________________

The Journey

Me

The last tank I owned was over 20 years ago 500 litre. But things have moved so so I can safely say my status is novice.

Why 'Olympus is Calling' nothing to do with the design really but I would like to think I will end up with 'Natural beauty' Olympus relates to my AKA for gaming 'Zeus' and then one off my E-mails 'zeus@mountolympus.....' yep but cheesy but it was done a long time ago :locktopic:

Ten weeks ago I wasn't even thing about a tank. But from the comment of the wife of a fish tank would look good in the lounge and my son getting into aquascaping. The snow ball is rolling and gather momentum. The tank is ordered and some hardware and I fell like I've jumped into the very deep end of the pool and theres a strong current and I'm not a good swimmer.

So please feel free to criticise me and I would appropriate any input or thoughts you may have. Yes in gaming terms I'm the 'Noobie'

Budjet - don't really have one but Dont mind paying for quality more than happy to make/mod. Hate paying over the odds for BS

The Tank

The tank will be used as a room divider with short side against wall - just to make it more of a challenge

Being used as room divider so will be seeing it front back and side.
Size 60" x 24" x 24" 109 UK gallons (496 Litre)
Optiwhite front back and side.
Cabinet style - Scandinavian with hood - hood can be used open hood or closed depending on lights used

Filter -
Filter Output

• - Twin Spraybars with the main upper from FX6 one having 4.0mm x23 holes and 3.5mm x4holes and the opposite end low in tank to help keep a Gyre effect of turnover

Lights -
  • T5 24w four.
  • Four kessil A160we tuna sun with controller. plus dimming via PLC and Kessil controller, kessils 20cm above water level.
  • Tank has different light intensity zones
  • Moonlight Passover

Heaters -
  • Hydor ETH External Thermal Heater x2
CO2 -
  • Ultimate Complete Aquarium CO2 System for plated tank up to 500L with twin 12V DC CO2 Solenoid Valves and Precision Needle Valve
  • Duel CO2 injection with twin APS EF2 CO2 reactors and Pro Flora Inline difusors
  • Latest UP High Precision pH Controller for Planted Tank - With pH Electrode - Used Via PLC to get Fast 1.0+pH drop in less than 1hr with the use of twin injection.
  • 6.5Kg CO2 cylinder Last about 30 days
  • Hanna pH Probe HI-98129

Water Tap

Substrate
  • ADA Aquasiol
Fertilizer

PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)
Flora

• Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' - carpet
  • Lilaeopsis brasiliensis 'micro swords' - carpet
  • Helanthium tenellum 'Brown' - carpet
  • Monti Carlo - Little in carpet here and there
  • Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' - removed
  • Anubias nana
  • Bucephalandra 'wavy green'
  • Cryptocoryne parva
  • Cryptocoryne balanase - removed
  • Cryptocoryne petchi
  • Cryptocoryne wendti- removed but a few come though
  • Cyperus helferi - removed - algae magnet
  • Pogostemon helferi
  • Fissidens fontanus
  • Hydrocotyle tripartita
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
  • Hygrophila “Araguaia”
  • Microsorum pteropus 'narrow' - removed but little still in tank
  • Microsorum pteropus 'Trident'
  • Juncus repens - removed
  • Hydrocotyle verticillata
  • Lindernia rotundifolia
  • Rotala H'RA
  • Bolbitis Heuelotii
  • Pearl Weed
  • Ceratopteris thalictroides
  • Ricca Moss : love and hate this stuff - looks great but spreads in carpet PITA to get out/control
  • Blyxa Japonica
Clean up crew
  • Amanos x60+
  • RCS x200+++++
  • Theodoxus Fluviatilis - Freshwater breeding nerite x30 - no luck
  • Ramshorn Snails
  • Pest snails :facepalm:
  • Ottos x5
  • Tiger Ottos x2
  • SAE x3
Zeus

(thanks to the guys at AquaScaping World Forum esp ShadowMac who have help guided me in the right direction in the very early months :thumbup:)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Vid of Olympus

Place for Pics - overview
1/7/18
upload_2018-8-8_21-9-53.png

29/1/18
upload_2018-8-8_21-5-24.png

21/5/17
upload_2017-5-22_20-53-51-png.png
Night
upload_2017-5-21_11-45-8-png.png

Daytime

Feb 2017 Just flooded
upload_2017-2-10_23-2-19-png.png

15/12/16 DSM start
upload_2016-12-15_20-35-4-png-12248-png.png

8 Dec 2016 - hardscape
upload_2016-12-8_22-58-15-png-12214-png.png

Attachments

• WQ.PNG
    WQ.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
upload_2017-12-16_17-50-27-png.png

Pumping update 10/2/18

[QUOTE="ShadowMac, Via AquaScapingWorld]The purpose of flow is to diffuse the CO2 and nutrients. It is also to ensure detritus does not collect, break the leaf barrier so leaves can absorb nutrients/CO2, and eliminate dead spots. You would be surprised how much flow is needed to accomplish this.

If you run your filters in series (provided that is doable) you solve the lack of biomedia with one filter, but do not add flow to the system. The flow rates do not add up, you just get the max flow of whatever those filters are rated at, which is around 500 gph...not enough. You could run an independent loop for CO2 with a strong pump through a cerges reactor to make up for the flow and create a reliable CO2 system. I prefer reactors on an independent loop because it is then not subject to the variations in flow from canister filters over time. Running the filters separately will move double the amount of water. Putting the intake across from the outlet isn't usually done because you then eliminate good laminar flow.

http://aquascapingpodcast.com/episode12

Don't underestimate the value of good flow combined with a simple in tank glass diffuser. I think people often overcompensate for a lack of flow with over doing CO2.[/QUOTE]

:notworthy:

Well even before I read your post I understood why we need the flow 'Mass diffusivity' OFC Had a read around at dinner time at work
it all makes sense why you quote 10x flow for aquascaping, difusion in water is of the order 10000 slower than air ie very slow, and this will be componded by a big tank with irregular flow due to hardscaping.
So me thinks might need a powerhead or two for this tank. Handy to have one ready at filling just in case flow not enough or dead spot.
I do like to understand why something is done and the physics/chemistry/biology/maths behind it rather than doing it.

Attachments

• 60x24x24.SC_.Aquarium.Tropic.jpg
    60x24x24.SC_.Aquarium.Tropic.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 619
  • upload_2016-12-3_16-4-15-png.12180.png
    upload_2016-12-3_16-4-15-png.12180.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Re-guarding using the Hybrid-Energy Approach, I have been advised that the Peat will cause a drop in the pH, but seeing I have very hard water I do not think this is a big issue as long as I choose my plants carefully ( easy to medium) but would appreciate some feedback from the low-energy aficionados please :angelic:

Thinking of going for a DSM start too - seems to make a lot of sense to get plants rooted and the cycling done before adding the water

Thinking
Irish Moss Peat 100L by Westland
20L WESTLAND AQUATIC COMPOST
Plus some grit
Plus gravel 3mm to suit scape

Last edited:
Fertilizer - yes dependant on substrate approach
You may want to rethink this... adding CO2, 3 or 4 kessil lights and no ferts... plants will die. Aquatic plants absorb a lot of nutrients from the leaves, hence the need for water fertilizers.
Do some research on the EI regime here on the forum. And my advice would be to go for Dry Salts.

You may want to rethink this... adding CO2, 3 or 4 kessil lights and no ferts... plants will die. Aquatic plants absorb a lot of nutrients from the leaves, hence the need for water fertilizers.
Do some research on the EI regime here on the forum. And my advice would be to go for Dry Salts.

Thanks for the reply kadoxu

Do plan to use ferts but to what level yet to decide which depends on which substrate I go for, using the dry salts does seem to be the cheapest way too

Zeus

Very challenging setup you have planned with both front & back being viewed.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/ This is a helpful guide in the tutorials section on choosing a substrate.

I'm new to the hobby & run mostly low tech tanks & find you can run a successful balanced tank this way ☺

I haven't used DSM but it is very success for establishing root structures & attaching mosses to hardscape although I'm not sure if this will aid the cycling process to the extent of it being complete before flooding your tank & running your filters...

Very challenging setup you have planned with both front & back being viewed.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/ This is a helpful guide in the tutorials section on choosing a substrate.

I'm new to the hobby & run mostly low tech tanks & find you can run a successful balanced tank this way ☺

already read the thread and pm Tim :thumbup: before I started post - great thread.

Lots of choices but I like to understand why people are making the choices not just use product 'X' or do 'Y' hence I was questioning which substrate to go for and not just using ADA AS because everyone else does.

But been think about it all day and Why not just use non bio degradable Cat litter. Just had a good read around about cat litter then read How to Mineralize Soil Substrates? and it all makes sense why I should choose ADA AS

Shame I missed out on the 20% off for 24hrs at The Green Machine :banghead:

I haven't used DSM but it is very success for establishing root structures & attaching mosses to hardscape although I'm not sure if this will aid the cycling process to the extent of it being complete before flooding your tank & running your filters...

Read around quite a bit on DSM and even T. Barr gives it the thumbs up. The Cycling may not be complete but well on its way no mess about doing 2-3 50% water changes a week, Plus no algae blooms. leaf may have adapted to being air born but soon sort themselves out.

If you do decide to go with TGM, they do have sales on from time to time ( I got my Amazonia from them with a 20% discount in March) & they'be had a few since... so you may get lucky?

That's cool, you've given yourself the best start with researching well & cetainly dry start has its advantages with reducing the risk of algae & DAILY water changes in a large tank :) Though was under the impression you may still need a few big changes when you first flood as there still may be some leeching from the soil.

Looking forward to updates - sounds like an epic project :)

If you do decide to go with TGM, they do have sales on from time to time ( I got my Amazonia from them with a 20% discount in March) & they'be had a few since... so you may get lucky?

That's cool, you've given yourself the best start with researching well & cetainly dry start has its advantages with reducing the risk of algae & DAILY water changes in a large tank :) Though was under the impression you may still need a few big changes when you first flood as there still may be some leeching from the soil.

Thanks for the TGM tip will hold off on order as will be needing quite a few bags. Reading lots and lots there is just so much to take in :drowning: The tank should be in in couple of weeks. Think my first scape will be a Xmas scene with polystyrene balls for snow and a few snowmen few rocks and wood flashing lights and devoid of water, I'm just not ready yet !

Looking forward to updates - sounds like an epic project :)

Thanks - hopefully not EPIC FAIL :inpain:

Hi Zeus, checking my emails & got a green machine notification "20% off everything" :) If you are still wanting to get your ADA Amazonia? Just use voucher code 20FORME :D

I had a quick look (as hope to buy more san sui stone soon) & as Kadoxu said that code does seem to be only valid this month :( Could you make a trip earlier? I got my scape & AS from them & as I'm in Northern Ireland couldn't pop into the shop but found phoning them the best way ordering. As you can explain your tank dimensions & what you would like? I found them really great with this aspect of setting up my tank ☺ I'd probably risk ordering everything at the 20% off price now then if any pieces are unsuitable exchange on the 17 November - Hardscape for a big tank adds up!

I'd probably risk ordering everything at the 20% off price now then if any pieces are unsuitable exchange on the 17 November - Hardscape for a big tank adds up!

Great idea "BATMAN' :greedy::greedy::greedy: :clap::clap::clap:

So been working with the PLC demo program– wow its F#####g Amazing, this baby will make the “Zeus Eco Magatech Climate Complete” :crazy::lol:. It’s only on the demo software ATM but working in simulation mode. With “STD mode”, “WC mode”, “Holiday mode” and my favourite “Zeus Mode” that’s “God mode”or “Crazy Dog Mode” OFC.

You can switch them over at the press of a button, and I think remotely- Very cool

So even if “Zeus mode” is a complete failure, press of one button and all changes on the fly back to STD Mode

“STD mode” pretty much the standard timings for lighting, CO2 control, filters pumps heaters etc

“WC mode” well turns everything off except the lights

“Holiday mode” cuts back on photoperiod, auto dosing etc

“Zeus mode” Filter (2000L/H) on 24/7, trickle CO2 on for photoperiod plus CO2 Booster period, Independent loop Ehiem 3000+ on whilst reaching idea CO2 levels, with CO2 booster on- then CO2 booster off, switching Ehiem 3000+ on for say 5mins every hour without CO2 booster. Skimmer/powerhead on night period only. Heaters off during CO2 booster period.

Addition features

Auto dosser OFC which reduces dose during Holiday period

“Moonlight pass over period” Yep I have four kessils can control the output levels with the PLC (many thanks the ‘ian_m’ on here – who did the program for me :clap:) but at a hardware of cost of £100+ for the PLC extension module. But can use the PLC by itself without the PLC extension module and with the light level output being controlled by the kessil controller (I already have) then have the PLC have one light on at a time for extended viewing (say for 2hrs)- do like this idea

“Variable temp control” Completely over the top or is it! Basically read quite a few times about heaters getting stuck on. So 'if 'I go for and industrial temp sensor/monitoring via PLC (£150) the temp regulators on heaters are redundant, as the PLC will be controlling them with industrial reliability. So why not have the day temp slightly higher then night temp as well.

Thinking of getting pH probe to get the CO2 levels right, log times on PLC then when happy with settings etc Take pH probe off

Tank comes Tuesday :nailbiting:

Back