• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is "Carpet Seed"???

JOKOwin

Seedling
Hi all..
I have nano tank and wanna try Iwagumi style with seiryu stones and "carpet seed". I do need your experience with such plantation 'cause I don't know what plant carpet seed is and conditions to grow it RIGHT. Can anyone help me??

images (6).jpg
images (7).jpg
growing carpet

248033891_4_644x461_carpet-seed-aquascape-mini-dwarf-hobi-olahraga.jpg

the seed

Thanks for help.

It looks like glosso or HC. You need to dry start the aquarium for this to work.

I've checked this one, as soon as I was aware of it being sold "out there"...........which is a while ago.

What I've found so far is, that this is a product developed for standard gardening. Seed is from a very hardy, fast carpeting plant (sorry, I can't even remember the name anymore) usually used for doing carpeting amongst rock-work in gardens (often japanese style inspired). The plant ofcourse can't grow submersed.
My suspision is, som "shady" person saw the possibility to just transfer this to sell to aquatic purpose.

There might be different products.......but the bottles in your pic. are the exact same, I checked...........sorry :(

A common question these days.

You should avoid the seeds. You do not know what you are getting. In many cases they are riverside weeds, most often Hygro. polysperma. For anyone in the US, it is an illegal plant to sell and/or distribute. One of the only aquatic plants in available in the hobby on the US's federal noxious weed list. Consider how difficult it would be to actually get seeds from true aquatic carpeting plants, they are small, short, with tiny seeds. It is much easier to vegetatively propagate these plants and this is why you see many commercial growers do it this way. I have it on good authority from someone who has seen folks in east Asia harvesting these seeds that they go down to the riversides, place some mats down, shake the seeds loose, and collect the pile of seeds. They start out small, with rounded leaves...but as the plants mature the stems and leaves elongate and you have a very fast growing plant that is difficult to manage and will never look as good as other better options.

Guaranteed to grow because its a horrible invasive noxious weed....and I think its kind of ugly anyways. the nice one you sometimes see in scapes is the Sunset Hygro aka Hygro polysperma "rosanervig".

Granted the seeds are cheap, and, from what I know, not a problem to own or grow in the UK or many other places...but its not nice for scaping. Spend the few extra pounds/dollars to get the real thing from a reputable dealer.

Wow... wow..., gotta think a lot then... George, my friends plant this seed and they grew well, nice looking too, that's why I decide to buy a bottle (15 ml net) of the seed. It's exactly not HC or Glosso Rebel, google said "mini dwarf carpet seed", confusing name right? Mick, this plant shape are small, one a half or twice compare to HC, and I think it's too small for standard gardening, I do not know much. And yes, what I found in my friends experience, it must be DFM for 10 to 15 days (time for rooting and leaves growing) before water flooding.

Shawn, you're scaring me :( Yes it is fast growing plant, but I've been watching more than a month and found that the seed growing fast on substrates (sand only, no ferts, no CO2) when dry, and then looks stop growing when submerged (very slow growing indeed).

I've been watching this plant for a couple of month, both emerged and submerged and it perform nice looking so far. I also made a little experiment emerged. I'll upload my own picture soon as possible so I can have more clear opinion about this plant/seed before avoiding or spend more rupiahs for other choices. Thanks anyway Shawn... and thanks God I'm not living in US :p

Last edited:
Could it be Soleirolia soleirolii ? It is a very little creeping gardening plant also named Baby tears and it likes very moist soil. Probably able to survive some time submersed as a young plant.. It's often used in terrariums too for scaling and contrasting scapes.. I can't realy find seeds of this particular plant tho it is very popular houseplant and garden plant in temperate climate zones and it's a Urticaceae sp. which has simular looking seeds.. :)

Could it be Soleirolia soleirolii ? It is a very little creeping gardening plant also named Baby tears and it likes very moist soil. Probably able to survive some time submersed as a young plant.. It's often used in terrariums too for scaling and contrasting scapes.. I can't realy find seeds of this particular plant tho it is very popular houseplant and garden plant in temperate climate zones and it's a Urticaceae sp. which has simular looking seeds.. :)
"Corsican Curse", yep :thumbup:.............that's the one I found references to, when I checked this product up a while ago.

"Corsican Curse", yep :thumbup:.............that's the one I found references to, when I checked this product up a while ago.

Kinda had a hunch it might be this one, since the looks of it and it rather grows in very wet soil and all over available. But googling for its seeds i get redirected to other Urtica sp.. Searching the growing guids for this plant only find references for vegitative reproduction, they say no seeds of this plant in our seed library yet. And ask if you have any to send them or bring to the nearest local collection point.

According to our Floron workgroup there isn't seed production, growing in west european climate.
https://www.verspreidingsatlas.nl/1889#

Last edited:
OK - forgive an elderly man for not remembering correct :oops:
:oops:
I just checked my old notes.........and this is the correct plant, I found, when checking those seeds:

Herniaria glabra, Caryophyllaceae........."Rupturewort".
(Oldschool medical plant, by the way).

There must be lots of different varieties sold as carpet seeds out there. The one instance I am specifically aware of was H. polysperma.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

Back