• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend me a filter 60P

MrHidley

I'm about to rescape my 60p, for my previous scapes i've been using a Hydor Professional 350 filter, which I actually quite like, it's quite, looks good and the flow rate is excellent. However, the problem I have with it, is that when you disconnect the filter from the pipes there is no way to avoid spilling a fairly large amount of water inside my cabinet, which i'd like to avoid. Basically the quick disconnects are rubbish. I'm looking for a recommendation, I've looked at the JBL e901, Fluval 306 and the Tetra EX range, i've used Eheim filter in the past and while they're mechanically good i feel the supplied quick disconnects suffer a similar problem to the Hydor albeit on a smaller scale.Needs to be 16/22 piping to fit my lilly pipes and external heater.

Open to suggestions outside the ones I've mentioned.
Any help would be massively useful!

Regards,
James

I have been leaning towards the JBL because of the way the hoses connect, I'm a big fan of the removable block on them. Will the e1501 be overkill for the 60p in your opinion?

Hi James, sorry missed your reply, the 1500 would probably be overkill but full of media with inline heaters and diffusers etc the flow will drop off, a lot may depend also on substrate and hardscape used and how heavily planted the scape is, flow can be throttled back though via the tap on the return pipe.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply, I've actually bought a Tetra EX1200, I know some people have had problems with leaks on this, but I couldn't turn it down at the price I paid (half of the JBL e1501 price!). I'll see how it goes, if there are any problems, i'll send it back and buy the JBL.

Last edited:
Should do the trick nicely.
I run a similar set up with the Ex1200.
As much as I like Jbl filters the 901e didn't give me enough flow.
And tbh when it comes to maintenance time,I prefer the tap set up on a Tetratec,to the block on a Jbl.
Mines 6 years old,and never leaked.

Glad you got sorted ☺ I hope to run another eheim ecco pro 300 with a 55l tank soon - but wouldn't have suited your pipe work. I do agree about the 'spillage' during maintenance with my model. If you go back to eheim in the future I've found keeping the unit placed in a basin within the cabinet helpful with water spillage...

damn, I own a eheim experience 250, you guys think it's not going to give enough flow for a 60p? maybe user together with a skimmer? something like eheim skim 350? I'm little bit disappointed.

BTW, how many liters of seachem matrix would be enough for a 60p? I think my eheim experience can hold 2 liters. Should I make it full of matrix or one liter should be enough?

Hi all

I have a JBL e901 on my 60 liters tank fully packed with media and coarse sponge. I have used it with both glass lily pipes and spraybar, and it works very well. I was an Eheim fan but JBL e-series are really excellent filters with lower energy consumption, solid construction, very quiet and with a very good and steady outflow.
I also bought a JBL e401 for my 27 liters tank with similar results.

Jordi

Back