• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MarinePure Block

Chris Stokes

Evening all,

Has anyone got any experience with the MarinePure blocks or plates in canister filters? I know they are traditionally used in marine sumps, but it strikes me that they could possibly be the best biological media for a canister filter. You could take the block, cut it to the perfect size of the tray in your filter and maximise the waters contact with biological media.

Thoughts?

MarinePure blocks are commonly used as filter media in sumps for arowanas and rays tanks.

The only thing to watch out for in canisters is that they do breakdown overtime. This makes it hard to do maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
but it strikes me that they could possibly be the best biological media for a canister filter. You could take the block, cut it to the perfect size of the tray in your filter and maximise the waters contact with biological media.
You can buy this ceramic media as <"balls or cubes""> ("MP2C") as well as blocks.

Because we have planted tanks, with a substrate, the potential for anaerobic denitrification of NO3 in the larger volume blocks (as a plenum) is irrelevant for us. I would be wary of adding a plate to the filter, you have a finite amount of oxygen entering the filter and I can see that a plate (even a highly porous plate) could lead to problems with water flow in the filter, and if flow was really impeded nitrification could be compromised. As spheres, or cubes, that isn't a problem and you have a larger surface area exposed to the oxygen rich water.

I haven't used it, but both low and high density versions should work fairly well, mainly because the pores are quite large and interconnected. An analogy would be that it is a rigid version of a PPI20/PPI30 sponge.

The <"project report"> is quite interesting, you can pick all sorts of holes in it as an experimental design, but it shows (in figure 10.) that most filter media is quite effective at nitrification if you leave it in situ long enough.

My suspicion would be that if you ran the same experiment with more suitably sized ceramic rings, spheres, bio-balls, rock chunks etc then the quoted advantages of the MarinePure products would disappear.

cheers Darrel

Back