• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Olympus is Calling.

Did a clean up today, the 'Boulder Boys' (Amanos) have been busy since flooding moving the AS, so time to remove the AS

upload_2017-5-7_17-52-26-png.png

Also did the maths for the light and was falling well short

medium plants 20-40 lumens 500L so 10,000 to 20,000 lumen

my T5 6x24W at 40Ln per watt yielded 5760Lumen plus kessils !

So big newbie mistake not enough light OFC, But I have these COB LEDS wrong spectrum but......
upload_2017-5-1_15-59-6-png.105172

so I fitted one - hum..... then another and another

so the area I cleaned the AS out off

upload_2017-5-7_17-58-49-png.png

so you can see the swords - pearling :D

and end view

upload_2017-5-7_18-0-24-png.png

so one side pearling more than other a bit ;):whistle:

Going to be be keeping a very close eye on it OFC just doing one side for a few days with limited hours with the COB LEDs and see (y)

Great read and a great build! Really like the scape, bet it looks great as a room divider.
Matt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your kind words :)

bet it looks great as a room divider

Yes it does, I'm still a long way off being happy with it.
upload_2017-5-14_20-45-18.png

Not the best picture OFC and just spent a few hours with maintenance/WC and rewiring the COB LEDs I fitted as I got told off by ian_m for having the LED drivers hanging off my 'fanny' light rail :angelic: But he was spot on :thumbup: I just got carried away when I put one LED on and pearling started.

Carpet does seem to be picking up no end, I have fitted 8 COB LEDs without the 30 degree beam fitted so it gives pretty uniform light all over tank. When all the lights are on everything pearls even Bucephalandra.

The roots on the side off the tank in the AS get loads of bubbles O2 I think and the roots have started to turn white again in places. Some off the carpet micro grass was coming up in little clumps before (think roots was rotting) I left them floating around the tank this week, they had new white roots by the end off the week with the new light regime.

Still lots to do OFC and wifes getting a bit sick of my light hanger :drowning:

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-14_20-43-51.png
    upload_2017-5-14_20-43-51.png
    2 MB · Views: 346
Thanks guys for your kind words :)

Yes it does, I'm still a long way off being happy with it.
View attachment 105399

Not the best picture OFC and just spent a few hours with maintenance/WC and rewiring the COB LEDs I fitted as I got told off by ian_m for having the LED drivers hanging off my 'fanny' light rail :angelic: But he was spot on I just got carried away when I put one LED on and pearling started.

Carpet does seem to be picking up no end, I have fitted 8 COB LEDs without the 30 degree beam fitted so it gives pretty uniform light all over tank. When all the lights are on everything pearls even Bucephalandra.

The roots on the side off the tank in the AS get loads of bubbles O2 I think and the roots have started to turn white again in places. Some off the carpet micro grass was coming up in little clumps before (think roots was rotting) I left them floating around the tank this week, they had new white roots by the end off the week with the new light regime.

Still lots to do OFC and wifes getting a bit sick of my light hanger :drowning:
Where in Yorkshire are you? If you sketch up what you want your hanger to look like with measurements ect I'll see what I can do.
I've moved to Cornwall now but me and my brother are welder/fabricator, he still lives in Sheffield and I'm sure if you wanted we could sort something out for you if you wanted unless you already have something in mind.
Cheers,
Matt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Where in Yorkshire are you? If you sketch up what you want your hanger to look like with measurements ect I'll see what I can do.

East Yorkshire, and Sheffield not that far, it just I havent decided or worked out what I need yet, plus waiting to fine a decent supply of 6500K COB LEDs really then take it from there. But many thanks for the offer I will pm you when I know what I want :thumbup:
------------------------------

Tided up the make shift hanger a bit ( Mobile COB LED units :crazy:)

upload_2017-5-20_21-22-52.png

upload_2017-5-20_21-23-48.png

Sorry about poor pic o_O but you get the improved hanger. wife is happier. C. Heferi very long has algae OFC too but not too bad LCO2 dose on a slow increase.

Had some crypts getting holes and curling, to be expected with the light they been getting, But carpet is coming back. Cut some crypts right back to AS, did one last week and its recovering very well and better colour too ATM

Tank maintenance done- takes some time!
Daylight shots, will try for Night shots tonight. Kessils and T5 on.
upload_2017-5-21_11-45-8.png

upload_2017-5-21_11-46-1.png

upload_2017-5-21_11-47-14.png

The independent return in its less obtrusive place, flow not quite as good but same turnover. Only have it on now when boosting [CO2] via pH controler, once pH reached five minutes later the independent line goes off and the trickle CO2 to FX6 stays on, flow still good with FX6 is it enough we will see, independant line kicks back in when pH drops OFC. Tanks snow storm goes when Booster CO2 is off, well thats until the COB LEDs come on then its a pearling snowstorm. Funny in a way you see posts about tanks not pearling, then when you have it you wish you hadn't in a way :rolleyes:. Cut the COB LEDs time down a bit too.

Snowstorm- Both CO2 inputs on and independent line on - COB LEDs and T5 on

upload_2017-5-21_17-31-5.png

upload_2017-5-21_17-37-51.png

Pearling shots - Filter had been off about 2mins
COB LED mobile on and T5s
pH drop 0.9 Booster CO2 input off independent line off
upload_2017-5-21_17-32-45.png

upload_2017-5-21_17-34-32.png

upload_2017-5-21_17-35-37.png

Carpet recovery in 14 days

was when I had just fitted one extra COB LED unit
upload_2017-5-7_17-58-49-png.png

14 days later - have just trimmed the crypt on left also - more localised pearling on first pic as had the LED beam 30 degrees fitted at the time

upload_2017-5-21_17-38-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-21_17-36-49.png
    upload_2017-5-21_17-36-49.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 340
Last edited:
DSM started 15/12/16
Flooded tank 10/2/17
The trident at the Jungle side has only been in a few weeks but lots off new growth - look close and you can see the Garden Wire ties holding it on

Did some Night shots last night but they wasnt very good on phone or on Sony 5Mb cybershot, But got sons Cannon ESO 600D SLI to play with tonight, you will be able to see the BBS on the C.Helferi :arghh: Only need to work out how to use the camera probably just wing it ;)

upload_2017-5-22_20-59-21.png

upload_2017-5-22_20-53-51.png

Wasnt too bad with the SLI for first try, nearly had as many buttons as my PLC. Wasn't quite dark outside but not too bad after a little photo edit :artist:

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-22_20-53-2.png
    upload_2017-5-22_20-53-2.png
    2 MB · Views: 375
Three weeks on since boosting the light the carpet is looking so much better, getting holes in some crypts leaves (will cut off near AS) and the BBA on the C. Helferi seems to be under control since I turned the kessils off when the COB Leds was on decreased COB on to 3hrs last week too was 4hrs, plus slowing increasing LCO2 dose too. Glass algae doing well too :rolleyes: thats 5 days worth in pic below

Kessils and T5 on
upload_2017-5-26_16-30-43.png

I am hoping that the Kessils and T5s when both on for 6-8hrs together will be enough to keep carpet slowly growing. Some areas of carpet still need an extra boost IMO to get all the AS carpeted. So removed 5 off the COB leds and left three on with the 30 degree focused beam on those areas

Kessils, T5 and three Focused COB LEDs
upload_2017-5-26_16-32-18.png

Tank Looks great from a distance But Holes and Curling off leaves on crypts increasing, Trident still getting going OFC but lots of new growth, but Carpet doing great. Up the pH, DC goes faint yellow. Decreased the light some more then thought nutrient deficiency- but I'm using a full EI dose or am I ? So did some reading and the symptoms do fit a Potassium/ magnesium deficiency. So used the calculator at Rotala Butterfly and did some number crunching with the product I am using EI Starter Kit from Aquarium Plant Food UK which I purchased followed the writing on the package and use the full dose. Ran the figures for the number of tsp I was using as per crib sheet and found it was in the EI range, But the nutrients where at the lower end off the optimal range and had plenty of headroom. So made up a fresh batch increasing the Potassium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulphate dose, flushed out the dosing line of doser and started new regime this morning.

Also tuned he independant spray bar a bit more. As since flooding it a couple off weeks ago a had it low in tank, which gave very poor aesthetics OFC so move to up much better
upload_2017-5-29_20-35-20.png
to
upload_2017-5-29_20-37-12.png
much better to the eye.

Obviously Flow has decrease, So increased the hole size a bit of a few holes played around with different angles of entry and not impressed so cut a couple more pieces of the 20mm tubing I have just drilled smaller holes all the same 4mm and fitted them, lucky for me the peices hold great without gluing with the spray bars, nice tight fit yet can fine adjust or remove, using a copper pipe cutter to cut the pipe raises the edge slightly where it spreads the plastic and so tight fit, Not water proof joint OFC but its in water ;). Flow is better not massive but better, not as good as when low in water, but fit that pre WC for few hours.

Nobody said it was going to be easy :thumbup:

Looking good, and that's some flow you've got going on.

Thanks Tim :D to kind. Regarding the flow, after all the reading I did being a Noob just wanted to make sure I had enough, as most folks issues seemed to around insufficient flow. The Fluval flow is 3500l/h which on its own is insufficient by the x10 rule. Think whats paid off is using a spray bar with small holes 23 of them 4-5mm each, so creates a good jet which pushes the water around with a hit on actual water being filtered, but the back pressure in the filter should help the CO2 dissolve better. Hardscaping the tank with flow in mind helped too. Obviously when the plants fill in the flow will be reduced.

Been playing around with Reactors ie APS filter boosters with Bio balls in aid to get tank bubble free. Was hoping to have them post FX6 filter and still have good flow.

upload_2017-8-20_16-3-43-png.png

Tested them on the independent line first, comparing the up Inline atomisers with the JBL inline ones.

Some vids of the method/testing I have done so far

Twin up atomisers with twin reactors fitted on eheim 3000+

Twin up atomisers with twin reactors fitted on eheim 3000+ results

Setup of further testing JBL and UP atomisers

Hard to see the fine bobbles of the up atomisers in the last Vid, the lager bubbles was because a WC had just been done

So change the outlet over from the Eheim3000+ to the Fluval FX6 and fitted a bypass so the reactors got less flow through them, or could adjust to flow to find the seat spot between Bubbles in tank and noise from reactors

JBL and UP Atomizers with reactors fitted Post Fluval FX6 with Bypass

So with reduced Flow a clear tank was achieved with either of the atomisers :)

Got it all fitted except one 25mm Ball Value as company sent the wrong one, but can retro fit that np. But with it missing makes draining tank take longer
upload_2017-8-20_16-8-27-png.png

Settled on the JBL inline amotismers as they do drop the pH faster and less chance of bubbles getting pushed down. But still some testing to do OFC

Last edited:
Back