• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom build 1300mm x 560 x 400

Luke Bassett

Seedling
Morning, I thought I'd start sharing my build today as my new tank is arriving. I have ordered a custom made 75gallon (300litre) 52inch long, 16 inch high, 22inch front to back (frag like) tank from prime aquariums w/ 80litre sump as an upgrade from my horrible 270litre curved front. The tank size I ordered is a very similar size to the ea reef 1200s.The tank will be semi planted w/ mainly java moss.
To get me started I have ordered 2 kessils a80 tuna sun's w/ spectral controller and a jecod dct12000. I have partly built the tank stand for my aquariums out of timber. I will post photos later of the stand once the tank has arrived at 1 o'clock this afternoon.

Part of the reason I am posting this is to do with the kessils a80 tuna sun's. I much prefer the look of the a80 compared to the 160 and being 100pounds less per light 3 of them would stand me in 50 pound cheaper than 2 a160's.
I am Wondering if 2 a80 will give me the coverage of a 52" long tank. After much research I didn't find anything so fingers crossed they are suitable otherwise I shall be purchasing another much to my girlfriends dislike.

Here she is :) arrived half hour ago. As you can see the stand is still in need of bracing and more up rights in the corners. I have used 8x2 for the corners, osb ply for the bottom and marine ply for the top so I don't need to worry about spillage as much
Aware the 8x2 is completely over kill but better to be safe than sorry. :) Also the finish mdf sheets for front and sides hasn't been purchased.

Unfortunately they confused the marine/fw sump and have given me a
marine sump which I have been informed I'm going to have to place another section of floating glass in the first section.

Extremely happy with the build of this tank, acrylic black backing and weir Cover, machine polished edges. Immaculate finish. Weir slightly larger than expected as I had the holes drilled in triangle shape as I wanted 2 return hoses coming back in to the tank either side of the weir and that wasn't possible with standard drilling they supply.

The sump is huge. 43" x 17 x 18 And again, very much over kill for my needs but the more water the better. I've attached some photo for viewing. Also included the temporary set up for the fish :D pump, lights arrive in a few days but tank manufacturers state no water on the tank until 10th of June.

Attachments

• DSC_1129.JPG
    DSC_1129.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
  • DSC_1128.JPG
    DSC_1128.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 286
  • DSC_1127.JPG
    DSC_1127.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 304
  • DSC_1126.JPG
    DSC_1126.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 281
  • DSC_1125.JPG
    DSC_1125.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 295
  • DSC_1124.JPG
    DSC_1124.JPG
    635.2 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_1123.JPG
    DSC_1123.JPG
    748.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
. Just added more uprights to the back of the tank and cut out the back for the pipes from/too the weir. Got the tank up on the stand now. As mentioned Ordered lights and pump yesterday and they are arriving tomorrow. I need to purchase pipe work for this tank/sump this week as the manufacturer wanted 100 pound for pipe kit which I thought was a bit steep.
Anyone with any ideas on minimising noise and what pipe system to use?

Appreciate any help. Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_1134.JPG
    DSC_1134.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  • DSC_1133.JPG
    DSC_1133.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 259
  • DSC_1132.JPG
    DSC_1132.JPG
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_1131.JPG
    DSC_1131.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
You will need more bracing, especially at the sides as there is nothing to stop the stand collapsing forward. An idea below, ok for the back of a stand in my drawing, but you get the idea.

upload_2016-12-23_15-35-37-png.png

You will need more bracing, especially at the sides as there is nothing to stop the stand collapsing forward. An idea below, ok for the back of a stand in my drawing, but you get the idea.

upload_2016-12-23_15-35-37-png.png
Hi Ian. Thanks for your input. I haven't finished with the bracing yet. I only done the back yesterday as I needed to get the tank on the stand and had to cut the whole for the drilled holes from the weir. I will be adding extra supports to the side and front once the sump is in but cant at the moment as I won't be able to get the sump in if I do :) Il also be fixing the tank stand to the wall :)

I am posting this is to do with the kessils a80 tuna sun's. I much prefer the look of the a80 compared to the 160 and being 100pounds less per light 3 of them would stand me in 50 pound cheaper than 2 a160's.

My tank is 60" x 24" x 24" 109 UK gallons (496 Litre) and I have four kessil 160 plus six 24w T5 and I and struggling a little with my carpet, But the the Cypts, trident is doing fine. So doing a carpet would be hard with the lights you have IMO

My tank is 60" x 24" x 24" 109 UK gallons (496 Litre) and I have four kessil 160 plus six 24w T5 and I and struggling a little with my carpet, But the the Cypts, trident is doing fine. So doing a carpet would be hard with the lights you have IMO

Thanks Zeus. I'm slightly worried after reading your post :D I have a horrible feeling Il be making another order. The only positive I can pull from it is my water level to substrate will only be about 15inches at the deepest point. Lights arrive this afternoon so Il set them up and Il get a better idea :)

Lights, controller and pump arrived and I must say. It doesn't look to shabby at all. Very happy with the coverage in daylight but I will wait to see what it's like in a few hours?

Attachments

• DSC_1143.JPG
    DSC_1143.JPG
    993.6 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC_1139.JPG
    DSC_1139.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_1138.JPG
    DSC_1138.JPG
    973.3 KB · Views: 253
Just checked the lights in the aquarium in a dark room and I'd say for my needs it's absolutely perfect :) there is a slight spotlight effect but I like that. I've attached some photos with different colour and intensity, not that it's visible with a camera.

Attachments

• DSC_1153.JPG
    DSC_1153.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 253
  • DSC_1152.JPG
    DSC_1152.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 267
  • DSC_1151.JPG
    DSC_1151.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 261
  • DSC_1148.JPG
    DSC_1148.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 272
  • DSC_1146.JPG
    DSC_1146.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 240
  • DSC_1145.JPG
    DSC_1145.JPG
    787.9 KB · Views: 264
Have to agree with ian_m about the base doesn't look like it would be up to close to half a metric ton and be stable.
Planning on CO2 ?

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface
I agree also. There will be alot more bracing after the sump is in place :)
I'm debating co2, I've used a liquid for before but never gas form and you can see the results in a matter of about 2 weeks, excuse the tank, I literally could watch them thing grow. The new tank will be mainly java. I dont believe the likes of java moss need much co2? I may be incorrect.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    854.9 KB · Views: 213
Honestly you're probably good, never seen anyone tie the frame into the wall like cleats before. Great idea, definitely adds support
It can't twist if it's tied into the wall with screws. Here's how I did mine; just floating but way overbuilt wit the larger timbers at each corner

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Honestly you're probably good, never seen anyone tie the frame into the wall like cleats before. Great idea, definitely adds support
It can't twist if it's tied into the wall with screws. Here's how I did mine; just floating but way overbuilt wit the larger timbers at each corner

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

You stand looks nice and strong.
Im waiting to source my aquarium plumbing and fit the connectors then il be building the rest of the frame, putting in its final spot and fixing once the sump can go in

Got some polystyrene out of some flat pack furniture to build a Base for my substrate. (money saver) it's all in place ready for siliconing together then I will be using silicone to stick it to the Base.

Attachments

• DSC_1174.JPG
    DSC_1174.JPG
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 199
Why not use eggcrate - no need to silicone to base of tank which makes for much easier rescape & if you ever need to sell the tank on
(also polystyrene really wants to float)

Alternately use coarse lava gravel/rock in nylon stocking bags for more adjustable base - pack loosely so you have some play for stone or wood placement

I'd order in the third A80 kessil for a tank this long/wide - visible light looks good but 18 x 18 is the max suggested area in terms of PAR

Why not use eggcrate - no need to silicone to base of tank which makes for much easier rescape & if you ever need to sell the tank on
(also polystyrene really wants to float)

Alternately use coarse lava gravel/rock in nylon stocking bags for more adjustable base - pack loosely so you have some play for stone or wood placement

I'd order in the third A80 kessil for a tank this long/wide - visible light looks good but 18 x 18 is the max suggested area in terms of PAR

Good evening.

Thanks for the input :) the idea of the polystyrene really comes down to cost more than anything. I've done a fair bit of research on the polystyrene. Have you had any first hand experience with it floating?

I'm only planning on java moss carpet to start out so I'm not too worried about the third kessil right now. I may realise I need it after I set up though.

Back