• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blackworm and Asellus buckets

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Probably not really the right place for this, but I took a couple of photos of the buckets where my Blackworm (Lumbriculus variegatus) cultures are mainly residing at the moment. I've also got some bits of nano-wood soaking and plenty of spare Hornwort.

This was a very quick scoop with a net amongs the Ceratophyllum, so there are plenty of blackworms in the bucket.

I have to thank @frothhelment for the original stock, which he brought back from the USA for me.

hornwort_bucket.jpg

Blackworm_tray.jpg

cheers Darrel

How do you keep, feed & cultivate the worms please.
Blackworms are one of those luxury foods that the fish love & I'd like to cultivate them as I can't afford the mortgage to buy Freeze Dried!

I have put about 50 in a tub filled with water, some moss, and dwarf water lettuce. Feed them veggie flakes once in a while and keep a couple of snails in there to provide some extra food for the worms (poop). I think they can also eat cardboard, but I found it very messy for my liking. Change the water at least once a week and that's mostly it.

I believe they don't usually reproduce sexually on a confined environment, but they do increase in numbers by splitting themselves up.

My puffer loves it... (not my video)

Darrel probably has a better way of doing this though... his blackworms look gigantic! :lol:

Hi all,
How do you keep, feed & cultivate the worms please
Just in a builders bucket with, filed with rain-water and some some dead leaves and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) added. I don't feed them, but the Hornwort is pretty thick and there are snails, Asellus etc. (and a frog).

PM me, now it is a bit cooler I can post some (just in damp moss).
his blackworms look gigantic!
They get quite big, the original ones I got from @frothhelmet were smaller and much lighter in colour.

I've never tried to bulk mine up, but I assume that people who sell them fragment them quite frequently to get bigger populations (but smaller individuals).

A similar "plants" culture method is mentioned in <"How to culture..."> as "method 2". (it is the only one I've found among all the others using paper towels)

cheers Darrel

I keep 3 builders buckets outside too; mainly for green water/ infusoria for m'fry. Pond produces a lot of mosquito larvae, but there aren't too many about now my way.

How do the blackworms do outside over winter @dw1305 ?

Hi all,
How do the blackworms do outside over winter @dw1305 ?
I move a few inside for the winter and put them in with the spare plants, but last couple of years the buckets have never frozen solid and they were fine outside. It isn't warm here in the winter, but I live in the S. of England (E. of Bath).
consider letting me have a starter culture I’d be happy to buy them.
I can sort some out, but I'm away from home for most of next week.

cheers Darrel

Back