• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar LED

Aquarium Gardens

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
It's here...and it's a beauty.

The new Twinstar LED 600E is now in stock. We have one running in store at the moment and have been pleased with the results. Interestingly the PAR was 50 at substrate level in the Aquascaper 600 tank. The coverage also appears to be good with almost 50 PAR in all four corners of the tank.

You can order using the link below, or pop in store (worth calling to check on stock levels before hand). If we sell out you can still place the order, the ETA is roughly 10-14 days.

http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/twinstar-led-aquarium-light-600e-2117-p.asp

Other versions are now in stock including the 300, 360, 450 and 900 models. Great to see a 900mm version :)

Full range of lighting can be found here: http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/led-aquarium-lighting-54-c.asp

Any questions just ask. You can also see this light on our Facebook page on a recently scaped AS 600 Tank.

twinstar-led-aquarium-light-600e-2117-p.jpg

Last edited:
is it dimmable?

Dear Michal,

No, because it comes calibrated from the factory, with the right "proportions" of light. This way you don't need to worry about it. However if you really want to do it you can use a dimmer on it. If you have any remaining doubts, please let me know.

Thank you

Dear Michal,

No, because it comes calibrated from the factory, with the right "proportions" of light. This way you don't need to worry about it. However if you really want to do it you can use a dimmer on it. If you have any remaining doubts, please let me know.

Thank you

While I do appreciate that it's a beautifully made light which will no doubt be able to grow just about anything an aquascaper would want to grow, what exactly does right propotions of light mean?

Good Morning,

No one can state that those "right proportions" are suitable for any tank. Sorry i do not agree with that statement that it comes calibrated with the right proportions. Just reading as it is it writen it seems that you find a miraculous light formula to any tank.
And the newbies will assume wrong information.

I agree if you say that according to studies that are published and certified those 50 PAR are a choice you made for a fixed set up on the equipment that is more reliable of not bringing issues to the hobbist. But don´t try to afirm that it is suitable for everything.

For instance i believe that at the beggining of a tank it may be more than it is needed, as you should know at the beggining it is not advisable to push too hard from the plants.

PAR is more complicated than you try to pass through.

I´m studing on buying a TS of these but i simple can not acept those statements without some concerning. Sorry.

Other aspect that i find strange is your WARRANTY! One year? According to the Portuguese Law instrution "Dec. Lei Nº 67/2003 from April the 08th is against the law. And this law comes from an UE instrution to all European countries.

UE Directiv n.º 1999/44/CE.

Can you explain why a one year garantee? Am i wrong on this matter?

https://www.exposingtruth.com/led-growing/

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquarium_lighting.html

Hi Paulo,

I agree the light has just one setting and not suitable for everything. It measures 50 par in an Aquascaper 600 at the bottom of the tank and therefore capable of growing most plants. However as you say, not suitable for every type of set-up. I would recommend them in CO2 tanks with regular/high fertilization. We have the lights growing various plants from ferns and crypts, to stems and carpeting plants. However all tanks with a Twinstar LED are running CO2. I would not recommend them in a 'low tech' non CO2 type set-up as the light would probably be to strong.

I am sure Ricardo will be able to answer the other questions and expand on what I have said.

Cheers
Dave

Hello,

I believe now you explain it all very well.

Many thanks

Enviado do meu SM-A510F através de Tapatalk

18121098_1345928675494571_6348717843534251246_o.jpg
Good Morning,

No one can state that those "right proportions" are suitable for any tank. Sorry i do not agree with that statement that it comes calibrated with the right proportions. Just reading as it is it writen it seems that you find a miraculous light formula to any tank.
And the newbies will assume wrong information.

I agree if you say that according to studies that are published and certified those 50 PAR are a choice you made for a fixed set up on the equipment that is more reliable of not bringing issues to the hobbist. But don´t try to afirm that it is suitable for everything.

For instance i believe that at the beggining of a tank it may be more than it is needed, as you should know at the beggining it is not advisable to push too hard from the plants.

PAR is more complicated than you try to pass through.

I´m studing on buying a TS of these but i simple can not acept those statements without some concerning. Sorry.

Other aspect that i find strange is your WARRANTY! One year? According to the Portuguese Law instrution "Dec. Lei Nº 67/2003 from April the 08th is against the law. And this law comes from an UE instrution to all European countries.

UE Directiv n.º 1999/44/CE.

Can you explain why a one year garantee? Am i wrong on this matter?

https://www.exposingtruth.com/led-growing/

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquarium_lighting.html

Dear Paulo,

Primarily thank you for being interested in our products.

I’m sorry for misunderstanding, but we made that statement because in fact our light was designed to have the right proportions for a standard 60cm tank. We've not only tested plants that have a big light demand, but also others that in fact cannot grow with much light. This is unique among manufacteurs and, in my humble opinion, it should be seen as good thing. I'm attaching only one example from a customer in Portugal (photo and setup by Catarina Santos). We have dozen.

As you can see the plants are not burned, even being closer to the LEDs.

And this is one of the main reasons for not suppling a dimmer as well, because this way we offer a prepared solution for beginners and experienced hobbyists.

However you can apply it, because the light is ready for it. We offer a "turn-key" solution, but the choice is up to the customer as it should always be.

About warranty you are right, but International Warranty is of 1 year. However according to the law the distributor has to give a 2 year warranty.

Hi Dave,

Looking at potentially investing in the 900E.

Are the Acrylic legs/brackets detachable allowing for installation under a hood?

If not how tall are they on the 900E?

Kind regards,

Matt

The brackets are detachable yes, however putting it under the hood may cause problems from condensation/water damage to the light unit. I am not sure?

The brackets are around 11cm tall and 10cm wide.

Cheers
Dave

The brackets are detachable yes,
Not quite, you will need to get your solder iron out to remove the bracket (mains cable goes right thought it)! I had to replace one in mine and had to un-solder it and re-solder it afterwards! You will also leave the internals exposed without the bracket.

Hi Paulo,

I agree the light has just one setting and not suitable for everything. It measures 50 par in an Aquascaper 600 at the bottom of the tank and therefore capable of growing most plants. However as you say, not suitable for every type of set-up. I would recommend them in CO2 tanks with regular/high fertilization. We have the lights growing various plants from ferns and crypts, to stems and carpeting plants. However all tanks with a Twinstar LED are running CO2. I would not recommend them in a 'low tech' non CO2 type set-up as the light would probably be to strong.

I am sure Ricardo will be able to answer the other questions and expand on what I have said.

Cheers
Dave
Would this be ok to use with TNT liquid carbon dosing or would the light still be to strong?

I've considered the 90 cm ES versions for the 70 Gallon I have, finding T5 bulbs is troublesome for the 39W and the RBG mix works, but I like some more user friendly controls.
Radion Ecotech has a FW light where you can control and adjust lights and intensities, and colors.................

350$ per unit vs about 275$ for the more spread out Twinstar in the USA. But the Radio put out more light, but with less evenness. Trade off.
Aesthetics is a large factor for myself also.

Even the Current LED's have a controller with similar functions, but not ADA or Twinstar.

For something simple, sure, sounds good, but a light that CAN BE applied to almost all goals is not that difficult to do.
Add a controller/dimmer. Charge another 80 Euros for it.

Twinstar has a hanging kit I believe(not sure but.......), so you can use two of the 60 cm fixtures together on a 120 cm tank.
The Chihilos Hanging kit should likely work(10$ or so USD$). They also sell a simple cheap dimmer(9$ USD$).

Seems that some of these items would work on the same brands.

I prefer the spread, but mounting can be an issue for open top tanks, and control functions need to be up to date with technology rather than dismissed as "everything you need". Neither brand works with Apex controllers, let alone ADA's RGB LED.
Most of the clients I have use controller and remote access(only one tank does not have them, a 60 cm ADA p). Eco Tech Radion provide all that. But they are point source more and less even on the spread. The Spectrum is better also on the Radion and entirely controllable.

For a 60cm tank, Twinstar is a good option. I wish they'd offer an ADA like mirror. I'd put one on the client's 60p.

Back