• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Custom Aqaurium Woes

revans

I've just purchased a custom aquarium to fit my oak cabinet not massive about 150 litres, I won't say who from as the issue is still ongoing.

The tank I ordered was a braceless and optiwhite on the front and both sides and had a lead time of around 6 weeks to be delivered.

so..... the tank was delivered in the fifth week by the custom aquarium company itself and when he got it off the van it wasn't braceless as I ordered and had 2" braces running length ways on both sides siliconed into the top of the tank, I mentioned this to the delivery driver and in fairness to him he did say no problem and removed the braces and then promptly left.

It wasn't until I looked closely after that the silicone in each of the top corners where the braces were attached looks really messed up and untidy. This issue is as it's in a very prominent position it will really annoy me if it's not fixed and also will get covered in algae making it very hard to clean as it's now has a rough surface.

I have checked the order I placed and their confirmation did specifically say braceless in the order so I know it wasn't my fault. I've since exchanged some emails with the company who are saying they can do a partial refund but I would like it repaired or ideally replaced asap as I really can't wait to setup the tank.

Has anybody else had to deal with issues with a new fish tank, I'm hoping the company will replace or repair as I'm not going to use it the way it is currently. It's also not going to be easy to send it back as the company is about 4hrs away from where I live and had to pay £40 delivery.

Any thoughts welcome....
Thanks

If you paid via credit card or PayPal etc, your most efficient option may be to file a dispute

From the company's POV they've already invested time & material cost so often are reluctant to offer a full refund
(small independent companies are generally less financially able to manage these losses) so consider how invested you are in this regard

Regardless of outcome, often the customer remains responsible for all shipping/transport costs - not seemingly fair when the fault is with the manufacture, but these tend to be regarded as separate issues

In retrospect If Only you'd refused delivery of the Not as Ordered Item

- I must admit I'm dubious of any company that would arbitrarily remove braces, unbraced tanks generally require a higher level of manufacture so why were they placed on the tank to begin with, is the tank still under any defect warranty now that the braces have been removed (is the delivery person guaranteed by the company as an aquarium builder, or is he just a delivery person)

A "reputable" company would pick up the flawed tank & deliver a replacement (made to the order) tank without additional charges ... only you know how likely thIs is

Best of luck

Fill it up with water and see if it bows. Keep measuring end width vs middle each day to see if there’s any move that, whilst you’re sorting this out.

They should come and collect it,repair/finish it and deliver back to you.
It's their mistake/bad quality.
If it's who I think it is though,don't think you'll get very far.
Like Alto said,if you paid by credit card,dispute it.

Thanks for the replies

I did pay for the tank with a credit card so will file a dispute if there is no other option but would prefer to avoid this if possible.

I would have refused delivery if the driver hadn't said he would remove the braces and he does make the tanks as well as do the deliveries but agree removing the braces in this way does make me wonder if there will be any issues with the integrity of the tank so reluctant to fill it currently.

There are lots of people on this forum that have used this company and have had a good experience so will ring the company again on Monday and discuss my options.

Cheers

Back