• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Facebook Planted Tank Groups

Am I glad to see you guys! Jesus, I joined a Facebook group a long time ago mainly just to browse people's tanks looking for inspiration, didn't really comment much. I happened to comment on a guys tank who didn't want to use gas whose plants looked like they were stretching to the surface. Also looked a bit stringy. All I done was suggested turning down the lights a bit and that some liquid carbon might help also and referenced Walsted about aerial growth and that might be the reason the plants were stretching. Fair comment?

Well, did I get it big style! This guy came back with someone, who to be fair seemed to know and do a bit and what happened next can only be described as a total onslaught and character assassination. My phone is constantly bleeping non stop of people pulling everything I said apart, saying I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about. It's as if suggesting LC was in in the same league as feeding bleach to babies.

Worst of it is, now I don't want to leave the group in case they all think there he goes with his tail between his legs, told you he was all wrong. :D:D:D I've hit the point now where the messages have truncated that much into sub conversations I can't even keep up with who's slagging me off now. What is wrong with the people? Seems like a mainly a US group (No offence to any US members) but they just don't seem to accept any debate whatsoever and there appears to be some people who know there stuff followed by little groups of minions who hang out of their @rse$ hanging off every word without any input from themselves. The best you can hope for is a GIF off them calling you an idiot even when you link scientific papers proving what you're saying has some credence.

What a really bad experience, anyone else came across this? Doesn't sit well with me, I'm more of a puchy facey type person (Not clever I know but I'm working on it) than a keyboard warrior but honestly, so agitated right now. :mad:

Ha Ha, yes I get that sort of thing on other forums & Facebook. Not about planted tanks as I don't participate on any Facebook aquarium pages but on other subjects I often have to go out in the garden & scream...
The Americans just don't seem to have the same sense of humours as us Brits & often do things in a different way!
I used to get particularity upset on Koi forums as I was all too often shot down in flames even though I was talking about real life experience & events that were fact!
Probably the most emotive subject I participate in would be guitar building, boy oh boy are some guys deep into the matrix!

So glad it wasn't just me @foxfish I feel a lot better now. They're still at it from last night! Glute seems to be a very contentious issue. I'm just trying to find the right words to get out of the group without losing face but I suppose when I'm gone who cares what they say. Lots of name dropping Tom Barr going on and even our own George Farmer. I wouldn't say Tom or George are friends of mine, well sort of, we are online friends and outside of this forum we don't talk about planted tanks and I know some of the things I said they would probably agree with but I dare not link them in to this forum and comments Tom and George have made in case the hoards of marauding idiots follow me here where I feel safe haha.

I'll probably just go in style in a minute, drop the F bomb, tell everyone what I think of them and slip away like a thief in the night.

BTW, before I get a roasting in here as well :D The reason I think Tom and George would agree with me is not because I think we're on a level. I learned it from them in the first place!

As for you @Edvet if you think "Us Brits" don't have a good sense of humour....

idjut.gif

Sorry mate, I thought I was still in the facebook group :D:D:D:D Only joking pal but this is the kind of crap I'm up against.

Hi all,
Probably the most emotive subject I participate in would be guitar building
I can imagine.

A few years ago I used to be more active on a Cycad growing group, most people were fine (and American) and a number of the posters were scientists, there was also a number of people actively involved in selling Cycad and Cycad seed, a potentially lucrative area because Cycads are all covered by CITES and demand far outstrips supply.

After some "Cycad rustling threads" we ended up having a huge row on whether it was ethical to buy an area of desert, strip all the saleable cacti and succulents from it, before reneging on the land purchase deal.

Apparently to a lot of Americans this was both perfectly acceptable and good business practice.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
........also looked a bit stringy. All I done was suggested turning down the lights a bit and that some liquid carbon might help also and referenced Walsted about aerial growth and that might be the reason the plants were stretching. Fair comment?
Now you are in the mood for it, try going onto an American cichlid keeping group and suggesting that cycling your filter with ammonia isn't necessarily the best way to start a tank, and that plants may have a beneficial effect on water quality.

I did this and I have to say that the response was universal, and the most positive comments were that I was both an idiot and a moron.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I did this and I have to say that the response was universal, and the most positive comments were that I was both an idiot and a moron.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck Darrel, know what I'm saying. Brilliant. Things are starting to calm down a bit now. Maybe I just caught people getting out of bed. Its times like this when a man starts feeling his limitations. People who obviously have some depth of knowledge and take the time to explain reasoning I can deal with but a lot of these guys are idiots. I wish I could drag everybody over from this forum to give them a proper lecture on not just growing plants but just common courtesy in general. Communication skills wouldn't go a miss either.

Last edited:
Now you are in the mood for it, try going onto an American cichlid keeping group and suggesting that cycling your filter with ammonia isn't necessarily the best way to start a tank, and that plants may have a beneficial effect on water quality.

Certainly not in the mood for it mate, just picking my moment. I find the secret of being a good guest is knowing when to leave ;)

I got banned from an American based planed tank forum!
It was because I posted a thread about the twin star (exactly the same wording as I posted on this forum) but it was taken down before I had a chance to read a single reply!
I sent a pm to a mod & was told that my new thread was not suitable for discussion on the forum. I asked why but got no reply, so I posted it again & next thing I know I am no longer a member!!
I help to manage a forum myself, Deeper Blue, it is a diving related forum & still remains the largest diving forum in the world although the daily posting has gone down from hundreds a day to only 20-30 a day now! During its hay days the forum used over 30 mods + several paid staff to help keep things calm. On occasions we had some huge fights going on but very few members were actually barred from the forum. One of the biggest problems came from certain members posting pictures of dead animals, it seemed that a lot of State side spear fishermen also have a love for hunting on land. Now that is OK if that is your thing but the forum was not about hunting animals & the complaints came in drones. It almost became a war between America & England ... stressful times... luckily long passed now.

I got banned from an American based planed tank forum!

I got banned from a US forum because using the same name I use on here on the basis that it had a "racist" theme. It actually came about because back in the day when I played on the playstation every name I could think of had been used up. Someone sent me a youtube link for a song by the Average White Band (who are black) and I thought that'll do Average white bloke, that's me. Stuck with it since or variations of because I can't be bothered thinking of new ones.

Well there ya go. God knows what I was watching. Probably in one of my alcohol and whatever else fuelled nights of late night PC and PS3 gaming. Someone sent me a link for a song because the theme of the song meant something at the time but wasn't taking that much notice. Was maybe a tribute to them by some black guys. Looks like I'm wrong again, hey don't you start Darrel, I came in here for some peace from people telling me I'm a joke. I'm starting to doubt my own existence, I can't even get my own name right today..apparently.

200w.gif

Hahahahahaha that's how I'm feeling.

Here's a few brief highlights of how this is going, names have been left out to protect the innocent and I'll probably find out that some of them might even reside here, I certainly know that they are friends of people who reside here.

Firstly, on my suggestion to the op not to go more than 2x excel dosing to play it safe. Which I thought was a reasonable comment to make.

"toxic if overdosed

so is water.

What if I told you a 10X overdose of excel won't harm shrimps, snails or fish?

It's unlikely anybody is going to dump more than 10 capfuls when they meant one.

I'd file this under "making crap up". Have you heard of this happening ever? (that couldn't also be attributed to too much food or something?)

I keep hearing about this but still haven't seen evidence of it ever happening. I don't suppose youhave the supporting documentation for this claim do you? "

Then on the suggestion of using the Duck Weed Index as a way of seeing if you have a lack of nutrients and saying have a read up on it.

"Also this garbage about floaters doing well as a sign that your ferts are fine and it must be a carbon issue. Most floating plants require very little nutrients compared to stem plants by their design. They are much simpler organisms and survive on not only less quantity of ferts but fewer types of ferts because they require less lignin development, being floaters with access to much higher lighting they require less nutrients dedicated to chlorophyll production as well.

For someone who suggested that people need to read up more...you clearly need to do the same and to better understand what it is that you are reading. "

And on the advantages of aerial growth and plants trying to make their way to the surface to get access to co2

"Next, he claims that plants stretching is plants reaching for atmospheric co2 and not light. Again, complete bunk...because even with low levels of co2...higher lighting will allow plants to grow more compact...and of what he said were the case...then even co2 injected tanks would show node elongation...which they dont. A further proof is that node elongation occurs even in terrestrial plants when they are limited in adequate light...and they have all the co2 they need.

Another example of only half truths being understood"

So far, going swimmingly well don't you think hahaha I think I'll get my coat. Even got someone here posting a warning saying "please, nobody take any notice of him.

A good healthy debate I reckon.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

I got banned from a US forum because using the same name I use

Long time ago in th early days of internet i did use "BombArie" as a nick.. Arie is a common name in my country and short for Hadrianus and Bombarie is just a Dutch word for "Fanfare" someting or someone that makes a lot of noise.. We had a Socker player Arie Boomsma that always braged in the media with a lot of fuss about everything and he became known by the nick "Arie Bombarie".

Anyway, guess how often i had to explain myself at internet communities to people misinterpreting my nickname. People acussing me from beeing a racist and others wanting to befriend with me because they actualy were (White power trash) racist and thought i was also. publicaly and via PM.

I never realy thought of it before that a simple dutch word meaning Fanfare could lead to that.. Mainly people from the US had the most troublre with Bomb - Arie..

Just leave the group man! Let them carry on with their circle jerk - laugh about them.

Anyone who scoffs at my constructive criticisms soon enough want to know why my tank looks mint after I show it to them. Only problem there is you get people that want the magic formula without learning.

Just let them get on with it :cool:

Back