• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant advice

Twisted Melon

Hi,

So I’m getting closer to delivery of my custom built tank. (137cmx46cmx46cm).

I have my CO2 setup sorted, subrstrate, lights, ferts, hardscape on its way and a fair bit more knowledge than I used to have, thanks to the peeps on this forum.

So now is the next challenge. I need to decide which plants to grow and how best to go about it.

Are there any newbie pitfalls I need to try to steer clear of?

I’m a gardener by trade, so am I correct thinking the same basic principals apply? Like “the right plant in the right place”?

I presume if I grow plants that like shade in the open, in full light, they will take the knock and melt?

Is it easy/advisable to grow all plants classed as easy or medium or hard? Or can I grow whatever I like? As in do they mix well?

As a beginner, is it easier to start with mature plants rather than cultured plants?

Can anybody suggest some good starter plants and any to particularly avoid?

I plan to use an RO/tap water mix for the fish I plan to keep. As I will be doing lots of large water changes in the beginning, can I just use treated tap water until the tank cycles, and then move to the RO mix without upsetting the plants?

Thanks as always.

I would advise to start with plants from the easy category frpom the Tropica collection. If all goes well start adding medium ones then followed by the hard category. Just build it up, you didn't put very demanding plants in yoor first garden did you?

I plan to use an RO/tap water mix for the fish I plan to keep. As I will be doing lots of large water changes in the beginning, can I just use treated tap water until the tank cycles, and then move to the RO mix without upsetting the plants?

Can anybody answer this one please?

Ta

Should be fine, again with the "easy"plants. Most plants can tolerate a lot of waterhardnesses (is that a a word?) only a few need realy soft water. Fertilisation and CO2 are the important ingredients ( depending on light level).

How do I manage the EI dosing when I’m doing 50% water changes every day? Do I dose daily after the water change?

Ta.

Back