• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano tank plant suggestions

I'm struggling with these swords in my tiny tank. Absolutely no idea why I bought such a large plant for such a small tank. It was in the early days of the tank and I had basically no knowledge or experience. I can't get them to grow properly; they have always had some kind of deficiency which leads to algae and now they are getting too big which means they are shading the whole tank below.

I think it would just be better to replace them and the vallis with something more manageable like a nice looking stem plant. I was thinking Rotala Rotundifolia or something similar however I feel like it won't really suit the "jungle" look I was going for. Maybe it is best suited to dutch style tanks. I don't often see tanks with plants like crypts alongside delicate stem plants so I really don't know what would work. What do you think about using Rotala in the background? I was hoping for a large, bushy stand with little open space (that will come with time, of course)

Specs:

30L cube tank
2 female 1 male Dwarf Puffer (possibly a tank with few plants while it grows in could cause aggression?)
EI dosing
Pressurised CO2
Dennerle Power LED 5.0 (5 watt, 2000 Lux)

Any opinions on using Rotala there? Or any other plant suggestions?

Thanks, Oscar :)

DSC_8800.jpg

Last edited:
Rotala wouldn't look right like you said for that theme but another stem plant that would fit in a bit better would be Elodea densa (Anacharis), if you want something similar to the swords but a bit smaller then look at java fern (narrow leaf or normal)

I'm using them both in my small 45p tank

Rotala wouldn't look right like you said for that theme but another stem plant that would fit in a bit better would be Elodea densa (Anacharis), if you want something similar to the swords but a bit smaller then look at java fern (narrow leaf or normal)

I'm using them both in my small 45p tank

I think narrow leaf Java fern would look great. Hopefully I can get it in a large portion :)

Back