• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

5ft Bookshelf Aquarium - River Scape

Wow they are freaky cool, cant say I have ever seen them in Australia, similar to whiptail catfish which I have been wanting to keep for awhile!

Haras are nice fish, they like it cool and well oxygenated. I have a bunch, and they mostly hide in a hollow root I have. They're not necessarily nocturnal, although mine tend to be, there can be days between I see one of them. Some of them go for a quick tour on wc day. And yeah, they change colour, which is pretty cool. Think I read somewhere that diet also could affect their colour at times.

build a river strean setup from a standard tank in aestheticaly the best way possible.
I like the tanks with the hidden bottom, like the one's from Panta rhei.

Cheers for the tips guys, I did research the "river manifold" when I was planning the scape, I decided against it as I didnt think I could effectually hide the plumbing in a tank that is only 24cm deep x 19cm wide (internal measurements), next rescape / time around I will try the river mainfold with the power-heads connected to the PVC pipe and inlets down the other end. I think it could be hidden pretty nicely If I did a scape where the rocks banked up the back glass. Will save that idea for next time. For now I am going to hook up my second filter, that will be 2 x 1360 lph filters and I can ether have one empty or spread the media across both to try increase flow in the filter. Just waiting for a second set of SS pipes to arrive.

With the SS pipes so low in the aquarium I am not getting much surface movement, so not suitable for loaches etc that need high oxygen levels, I may try DIY a spray bar from the SS bend and angle it upwards, should create some surface movement.

Today I added 10 regular white cloud mountain minnows (the smaller fish), one of the Vietnamese WCMM's jumped last night (leaving 7), they where so skittish, the most skittish fish I had kept (tho only in the tank for 1 day) since adding the other fish they seem much more confident, less hiding when I walk in the room and are actually out of the plants swimming around, tho a few still dont want to leave the planted area.

Plants are melting, I almost forgot what melt was like :( hopefully they dont completely melt I used most of my anubias from my 60p in this scape :~( Will add some Darwin Algae Eating shrimp (an Australian native) next week, gonna need a clean up crew with the melting.

Here is the 22mm photo, I cant actually get centre of the tank with this lens, need to take the photo from the doorway. Other photos had been with my 10-18mm lens, this 22mm lens takes a better photo but hard to frame this long tank in the small room.

27442955868_c9d66d48b3_b.jpg
IMG_1422
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

That tank was my inspiration for this aquarium... tho I am no where near the same level of flow or tech :p

Yes seen them before, i saw one a few months ago rather large one in a expo video.. Didn't know they are from Pantha Rhei.. :) Alreadu wondered who makes them..

Cheers for the tips guys, I did research the "river manifold" when I was planning the scape, I decided against it as I didnt think I could effectually hide the plumbing

You actualy could achieve the same effect as you did now but use a set of 2 inlets and outlets on a stronger external filter. Figure out a way to Y split but make both parts symetricaly equal to reach same flow over both.. :)

@Edvet I do like the setups with the returns / pumps etc hidden under the tank, I think these style tanks have a false floor, you could perhaps drill the bottom of the tank to achieve something similar, I cant drill the bottom of this tank with the current stand (just the ikea kallax) I could get he back glass drilled and run piping behind the tank... anyways these ideas are all for future projects for now I will trial 2 filters.

@zozo I did consider buying a Fluval FX6 but reading the manual I wont have enough depth to use the stock inlet and outlet pipes (huge 25/32mm pipes) and if I reduced down to 16/22 hose / pipes I may as well not buy such a powerful filter

Quick week 1 video i shot this evening

Hopefully set the second filter up later this week. Have ordered a few different sizes of these duckbill nozzle things, not 100% sure if any will fit the 18mm SS pipes but I think I may be able to make them fit. Coming from china so probably a few weeks away. Should help me angle the flow and create some surface movement.

Nozzle-Water-Outlet-Pipe-5-8-Inch-2pcs.jpg_640x640.jpg

Few macro photos from this evening, one fish has a wound on its side (first photo) what are the chances it recovers? The fish swims fine an is eating.

Most photos are of the Tanichthys micagemmae, there colour isnt great, perhaps not from the best stock, I think the more vibrant fish are the males, perhaps they will colour up a bit more with time, they seem to be close to fully grown (20-30mm), they probably prefer dark substrate. To me the Tanichthys albonubes are more interesting fish.

Fish with wound

IMG_1444
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Female Tanichthys micagemmae

39557381780_b95602b510_z.jpg
IMG_1489
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

39557376840_2f002605db_z.jpg
IMG_1485
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Male Tanichthys micagemmae

27495888598_0b9edd0a40_z.jpg
IMG_1474
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

27495873968_68b26cf4a8_z.jpg
IMG_1441
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

27495884018_9da0c3daaa_z.jpg
IMG_1467
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

26495760937_9b387170aa_z.jpg
IMG_1530
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

I suspect you're just seeing stress colouring & behaviour
How did they seem at the shop? Any info on providence?

As long as fish is active & eating, recovery is possible - unfortunately the stress they're displaying will significantly reduce chance of recovery (I'd consider tossing these fish into the overgrown java fern tank for a couple weeks - months until they display more normal colouring, activity - or perhaps there are other reasons that make that tank unsuitable ...)

Lots of clean water would be my preferred treatment (& reduce stress - if you can find a way to do that)

If you can source/create a medicated food they will eat, I'd also give that a go: if no signs of internal parasites, kanamycin etc to treat internal bacterial infection would be my first choice, unfortunately most medicated foods are also rather unpalatable - and especially so once fish are feeling unwell

From a palatability view, you might try metronidazole~food (products such as Seachem Focus are worth including if making up your own medicated foods re improved binding of active ingredient to the food portion, especially once in water)

Be careful of leaving failing fish in with the remaining group - especially given stress - as they can act as an infection source: significant daily water changes are always recommended

Nice effort on the photos :)

Be careful of leaving failing fish in with the remaining group - especially given stress - as they can act as an infection source: significant daily water changes are always recommended

Nice effort on the photos :)

Thanks, I will try catch the fish with the wound and move it another tank if possible, dont want to infect the other fish.
In the shop they looked about the same, tho was hard to really get a great look at them, they where in a tiny bare bottom tank with lots of other fish, they didnt display great colours but this is the only time ive ever seen this fish in my area so I brought them.

I will keep a close eye on colour of the fish, the flash of the camera probably didnt help with stressing them out, also I was just working on the tank installing a second filter which probably stressed them.

Thanks for the info.

Quick iphone video below, I dropped a wafer pellet just at the end of the "high flow" section of the tank, interesting to watch the minnows nip at the wafer, it eventually blows down the tank but gives you a good idea of the current / flow, fairly strong across the front glass, and water is generally moving left to right but they have lots of places to chill out of the main current. They generally dont swim right up to the outlets but often surf around this mid point.

Nice vid! they are definitely struggling with the current

Cheers, I dont think they are particularly struggling, they have started to swim up against the flow to reach the other side, I added a aerator to one of the outlets today and you can see the jet of flow from the outlet dies off at the half way point. Should be good for some hillstream loaches soon!

I added a aerator / venturi nozzle to the smaller outlet (12/16mm) its really jetting water now, I will be changing the 12/16 pipes to 16/22 when they arrive but will keep the aerator on one outlet, here is a photo mid water change, makes me want to keep the water level low, should be set to get some hillstream loaches when the rocks develop some algae, probably need to increase the light level, running at 20% at the moment for 7 hours, tho one hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down.

That's looking great.You've managed to produce a river scape every bit as good as Oliver's, and your minnows look like they are right at home. Overall this has developed in to a fantastic thread.

Back