• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PBM's Dennerle Scapers 55

PBM3000

So it begins. My new Dennerle Scaper's tank - 450x360x340mm. To replace my nice (but rather fiddly) Aqua One 22l cherry shrimp tank.

Not sure where I'm going with it yet... but I might as well journal it for you all to laugh at. ;) Purchase of the tank and lighting aside, I'm on a bit of a budget with this one. Gonna be non-CO2 anyway.

Pictured here with the Chihiros A-Series LED before applying a background later this week with black acrylic enamel.

That sticker had better come of cleanly! #OCD

IMG_5504.JPG

Lovelily :wideyed:
(no idea what I typed that IPad transformed :rolleyes:)

So full of potential :)

No CO2 can be as nice as CO2 - just find what plants grow well in your tap water & under your care :cool:
eg, I prefer the compact form of P erectus I observe in my nontech tanks, Hemianthus micranthemoides does fantastic, M 'Monte Carlo' slow but decent, M crenata ...

Some I expected to do fine, did not endure o_O

Rather than black acrylic, look for midnight blue - I've some ancient aquarium backing that shades from pale to deepest blue & much prefer this over the basic black I have on another tank

Rather than black acrylic, look for midnight blue - I've some ancient aquarium backing that shades from pale to deepest blue & much prefer this over the basic black I have on another tank
My main tank is a deep blue and it suits the expansive vista. I'll stick to black on this one though (now painted with Rustoleum Universal All Surface Paint). :)

Is this the new version of the Dennerle scapers tank? :)
Yes.

Nabbed some wood from MA today. Insane prices - but when it's pretty much all you've got in the area. Spiderwood seemed the most versatile and I'm glad it darkens to a more reddish tone when wet.

Some quick musing today on placement: I'll be resting these on fine black(ish) gravel (raised to height at the rear) so imagine the arrangement of these two pieces 'somewhat propped up'. Breaking the gaps will be some small pieces of Seiryu stone. Micranthemeum Monte Carlo is the plan as a carpet but I've never had much joy with carpeting.

Any favourites here? Comments welcome.

PS: Phone pics for now for convenience. I'm an ex pro photographer so 'nice' is yet to come. ;)

A.
IMG_5511.JPG

B.
IMG_5512.JPG

C.
IMG_5513.JPG

D.
IMG_5514.JPG

E.
IMG_5515.JPG

F.
IMG_5516.JPG

G.
IMG_5517.JPG

H.
IMG_5518.JPG

I.
IMG_5519.JPG

G and I are the same aren't they?

Any of the last 3 for me, looks good

G and I are the same aren't they?

Any of the last 3 for me, looks good
Different arrangements ‘same’ photo. Subconsciously I might be on to something! ;)

I’ve done some more arrangements, this time binding the two roots together with elastic bands in different configurations and it’s much better as a ‘single’ root.

Roots soaking for a couple of days now so I’ll update when actual scaping begins. Cheers.

Last edited:
Substrate laid down and plants are here* so I'm goin' in!

For Dry Start (cultures):
Micranthemum Monte Carlo
Flame Moss
Weeping Moss
Hydrocotyle Tripartia
Pelia
Buce / Anubias

To add later, when flooded, from established tank stock:
Dwarf Sag
Crytps
Fissidens Font.
Pogestemon Helferi

I also have some small moss balls. Could I split them and glue to some of the wood or will that end in tears?

75B36D7A-0C52-4A87-A4CD-8F0307D681C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back