• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2018

The first Echinodorus flowers in the tub.. :)
DSCF1169.jpg

And the first ever lily flower in the barrel.. :) But darn, it should be Red, at least they sold to me as a Burgundy Princess lily..
DSCF1188.JPG

Not yet fully opened, maybe tomorow.. The flowers live a day or 5 anyway..
DSCF1187.JPG

Have some troubles with my camera, can no longer set the brightness, it is on the camera's default after a reset. I'm stuck with that.. My cat puked over the camare a while ago, right on top of it.. It was fine at first after a clean.. But it seems some cat puke got under a few buttons and they do not work anymore.. :shifty:.. I also do not see a way to open it for a clean.. At least not yet.. Darn cats puking where they stand, go out for a pee come in for a puke.. :rage:

All is fortunately going well again with he fish.. :) They are getting less skitish day by day and more outgoing. And as i told before, they love challanges, Matter a fact, they like to challange eachother.. Did put some food in the baby pool basket, they all know the easy way in by now.. But it seems, that aint a challange anymore and once the mind is set on a challange they are pretty determined to solve the problem and show it off.. Watch the little rascal with, who else, the wings on his back.. He or she, also was the first one the enter the basket in the first place.. So it's definitively the most daring one, seen it do this before also comming out the same way. Likely just for fun, because you've all seen it in the previous vid, there is a much easier way. But...

And some random snapshots along the way. Noting special, one of my Unions Pipes and already for years in the same vessel, it just keeps comming back each year again. Never gave it any ferts nor any new soil what so ever.. No idea how they tatse, probably like iron.. Never tried.. Kinda would feel sorry to cut it.. :)
DSCF1203.jpg

Just a random spectator, who's watching whom??
DSCF1165.jpg

:)

Some random pics :) playing trying another camera..

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Bog Pimpernell is creeping quite well and fast and flowering..
DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

Grew it for years indoors, under artificial light it grows equaly fast but refuses to flower unfortunately
DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

Some baby goldfish.. Actualy more than a few. i counted and added 10 goldfish eggs in the tank i found on a plant.. But it seems to look like one egg but it are more or all contain triplets. Dunno but i have many more baby goldfish than 10.. The tank is also booming with amber snails.. :)
DSC_0055.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 133
After taking a closer inspection in the little outdoor tank.. I noticed the Lilaeopsis carpet is actualy completely littered with about the same amount of hairgras. :) i know i planted little pieces of it last year and actualy forgot about it.. And it didn't show that good after it came out of the cellar 6 weeks ago and now i see it popping up all over the place.
DSC_0140.jpg

Also the lilaeopsis is thriving and happily spreading.. That's 6 weeks weeks sunshine and we still have a few months to go. Still relatively little algae, some left over dust algae in and on the substrate.. But while slowly maturing into the summer this is decreasing, i have to vacuum the leftovers out somewhere this week.. And very little hair algae in it, realy have to take a very close look to find some and can take it out manualy. Gold fish fry is steadyli growing, i know they are exelent allgae eaters.. Bellow about the complete colllection of life stock sp. gathered, Pondsnail, Ramshorn, acuta pond snail and baby goldfish.. :) also dropped in a few cherry shrimp, maybe 2 pregnant girls and a few males. i guess a few weeks and it's cherry time. I read they develop deeper red colors in outdoor condition.. We'll see..
DSC_0141.jpg

Looks all very promessing, much beter and actualy way less maintenance than i expected for a full blast sunshine outdoor 65 litre aqaurium. It stays remarkably clean and algae free.. Well i'm cheating a bit of course with placing it in the same fillter system as the tub. It makes this little tank part of a about 350 litre cycle.. filtered over a planted bog setup in a 5 x turn over with it's own litlle pump.. :)

The little still @Nelson unidentified tropical nymphoides is doing very well in comparance to last year it grows much more robust, it thrives on a well developed rootsystem i guess.
DSC_0142.jpg

Seeing it's health this early in the year hopes are high it will flower and finaly reveal it's identity. :) I'm vigorously trimming the potamogetons, last year i didn't and they took it all over in no time. The P. Gayi is the worst, that plant grows in this condition as a pest. Evry day i take pieces out and it keeps comming..
DSC_0151.jpg

Some moss that also seems to like it and grows like a rocket. No idea what it is, i don't think it's tropical because i have simmular looking in the garden aqautic that survived the winter.
DSC_0153.jpg

There is a cherry shrimp hidding in it.. :) The only plant that is not doing so well is the submersed form last year left over from the Lobelia. It lives, but stays a bit leggy and not realy growing.. But we still have time, i guess it'll speed up once it pops the surface.. If it ever does.. I actualy had quite a lot of them submersed after last summer. But i obviousy didn't gave 'm enough light during the overwintering. 80% died off and what survived isn't realy that vital anymore.

Anyway note it bubbling like mad and about spot on clean.. Remarkable for a outdor low energy tank.. Not even sure if this can be called low energy, its full blast day light only recieving some shade at the later hours after 4 o clock from the west by the overhanging grape till that time it gets sun without any limits..
DSC_0150.jpg

Mind boggling!?..

??
Care to share any info?
When the time comes i let you know... I got it from Neil, he once bought it as Hydroclyes nymphiodes at ebay, but obviously got scammed. The seller stated he got it as water poppy from his supplier and that was all he could say.. Till now it didn't flower, so i can not say what it is.. I suspect it to be a Asian var. Maybe the N. indica the water snow flake.. I need a flower till than it's geussing. Also growing it indoors and there it more looks like a N. taiwan.

Hi all,
Some moss that also seems to like it and grows like a rocket. No idea what it is, i don't think it's tropical because i have simmular looking in the garden aqautic that survived the winter.
I think it maybe the true Leptodictyum riparium, which isn't the moss usually sold as L. riparium.

Have a look at <Flowgrow: Lepto.....>.

The other similar moss is <"Flowgrow: Calliergonella cuspidata">, that has rounded "leaf" tips under a low powered microscope.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I think it maybe the true Leptodictyum riparium, which isn't the moss usually sold as L. riparium.

Have a look at <Flowgrow: Lepto.....>.

The other similar moss is <"Flowgrow: Calliergonella cuspidata">, that has rounded "leaf" tips under a low powered microscope.

cheers Darrel

I'll take a look, i have so many mosses growing all over teh place i completely lost track of what i have and what not.. If i remember correctly the L. riparium has a centre vain in it's leaf. So that would be a distinct difference as reference. :) I have a SLR camera now, i'm still waiting on the microscope addapter.. :) But i'll take a peek anyway..

It's something like this..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172810758081
But yet no idea if it will work..

Last edited:

I think this is the closest of the 2.. :) Couldn't get a beter macro shot. All tho mine seem to look like growing a bit thicker and more densly..

DSC_0154.jpg

compaired to this image i'm in doubt a bit.. But the single leaves up close definitively look simular..
calliergonella-cuspidata-5298af87b7cd2.jpg

I'm in doubt with peacock moss..
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/taxiphyllum-sp-spiky-moss
I got it under this name from Jordi - @parotet i believe Jordi got it again from @MirandaB about a 2 or 3 years ago and also still in one of my aqauriums. So me throwing it outdoors and it surviving a winter aint a surprise, it originates from all over Asia up to siberia.

Hi all,
I got it under this name from Jordi - @parotet i believe Jordi got it again from @MirandaB about a 2 or 3 years ago and also still in one of my aqauriums
There is a thought, Gerard @frothhelmet sent me an unknown moss in ~2010, which I decided was a "Peacock moss" like Taxiphyllum spp. and I might have sent some to @MirandaB?

I think Taxiphyllum spp. have the double row of leaves along the stem, like your moss.

The problem is that I don't actually know what any of my mosses are, I don't trim them, so they are pretty much all detached and in some tanks they are now football sized balls.

When I've started looking at the moss from the tanks under the microscope I've fairly quickly managed to find four or five different ones, usually all mixed in together, but without a spore capsule and some idea about provenance, a definitive name isn't really possible.

cheers Darrel

There is a thought, Gerard @frothhelmet sent me an unknown moss in ~2010, which I decided was a "Peacock moss" like Taxiphyllum spp. and I might have sent some to @MirandaB?

Darrels moss around the globe from UK to Spain from Spain to the Netherlands.. :woot: :thumbup:..

The problem is that I don't actually know what any of my mosses are
Same here, i threw any moss i could get my hands on, found in the garden, between the pavement, in the forest etc, into the water identified or not. more likely not.. I seen some change appaerance and grow on but by now except some obvious ones i realy lost track of it. All grows mixed together is the main reason i lost it completely. :)

Few months ago i got some unidentified liver moss from a friend that keeps dartfrogs he had it in his terrarium. Obviously i threw it in the tank and glued it to a piece of wood at the water surface. I now see it submersed growing forked like a giant Riccia. Also very interesting, emersed it grows very different. :)

The tub is looking good Marcel. Plants are really taking off.

Talking about moss, I got some manzanita wood several years ago shipped from the USA. It stayed in a vase as decoration until a few months ago when I put it in water. It's been growing moss on it....who knows what type.It's funny because the fellow that I got the wood from picked it from a forest. It is growing slightly above the water level so I am guessing terrestrial moss of some type enjoying the humidity. The growth is really small though so it might die off but its been there for a while.

The tub is looking good Marcel. Plants are really taking off.

Talking about moss, I got some manzanita wood several years ago shipped from the USA. It stayed in a vase as decoration until a few months ago when I put it in water. It's been growing moss on it....who knows what type.It's funny because the fellow that I got the wood from picked it from a forest. It is growing slightly above the water level so I am guessing terrestrial moss of some type enjoying the humidity. The growth is really small though so it might die off but its been there for a while.

Thank you.. :) Tho i think i made some poor choices in plants in the fillterbox, not everything is equaly happy.. I bought that plant collection from early in the year outdoor displayed plants.. With the idea they need to start growing early to get the cycle going early. But not every bog plant is an excelent helophyte filter plant or aquaponic plant.. At least not if the dirt soil is washed out and replaced with an inert gravel. I have a few that didn't take the transplant very well and are a bit in trouble, despite i sufficiently fertilize the water column. No idea if it is root damage and if it will improve when the filtergravel matures and the roots get used to it. Trail and error to find the rights ones.. :) in my case i also need to take size in account, that limmits my choices.

Mosses are absolutely great, but also the most heard headed plant around. Very difficult to find a permanent proper condition or the sp. that likes it.
DSC_0136.JPG

This piece of moss covered wood is outdoors for over 2 years now, it contains several spieces growing together, some i planted myself and don't know what came with nature on its own. In the fall and winter it is vibrently green lush and healthy.
dscf9880-medium-jpg.jpg

And every summer it looks like dying, it turns brown, despite i throw water over it ever day to keep it soaked. i guess it's a temperatur thing, it takes a freezing winter drouth beter than a wett hot summer.. It just doesn't die, but it goes into a rest durring hot periodes and turns brown and revives when the weather cools.

Indoors i experience the same difficulties, mosses like a constant cool invironment, if it aint cool very small (invironmental) climate changes can have drastic effects, than it suddenly goes into dormancy there is no stopping it, than it looks dead and faul and it can take a darn long time to come back.

This is the piece from my Tree of Life scape from 3,5 years ago, last year it still was completely covered with bright greem moss all over and i thought i finaly figured it out. And all of a sudden it desided to stop growing and disseaper. And i have no clue what has changed.. The only moss still thriving on it is an unidentified Liverwort at the water surface.. the one i mentioned earlier, growing short and dense emersed and grows like a large Ricia submersed. But all the other mosses look more dead than alive. But it never dies, it wants to come back, but i have no clue whats holding it back.
DSC_0161.jpg

The other tank, same story, this little green patch of moss took me 2 years to grow it.. Tried many different moss species to find one that wants to grow there. Higher on the top is in semi dormancy, once in a while i see it revive, but it is never very for long. Funny is, the liverwort from above doesn't like to grow on the wood bellow, i tried but failed every time again.
DSC_0159.jpg

Mosses are picky little hard headed buggers, the most mysterious puzzle ever. :) That's why there are no commercial moss nurseries...

Back