• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little Bedroom Aquarium Recommendation

Miss-Pepper

Hi all, been out of the planted aquarium hobby for a few years now and feel inspired to get back into it. I'd love a little planted tank between 40-60 litres next to my bed. Problem is, there are so many nano style tanks these days I don't know what to pick!

I've been looking at ones like the SuperFish Home 40, the Ciano Aqua 60 LED or perhaps even buying a plain style aquarium and making my own 'kit'. I'd like to try carpet plants again so I'm assuming I'll need good lighting and co2 to boot (is liquid co2 ok?) I'd love to have some members input for favourite tanks no more than about 60x30x30cm. Since it's next to where I sleep, a quiet filtration system is paramount too so if anyone has any suggestions for what I'm looking for I'd greatly appreciate it!

I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend.
I don't think there is such thing as a completely silent aquarium so if it's right next to your head and your easily bothered by noise then do your research.
I had a Superfish Home on the advice of George Farmer a few years ago as an entry level aquarium, the lighting isn't that amazing, neither is the filtration - but you get what you pay for.

I'd suggest an all in one from say fluval or Aquaone, but also second Edvets suggestion! Zero noise!

Quietest filters are the internal filters.. A hamburger matten filter would be a nice concept to look into.. Extremely good and cheap to create filter with the pump interal in the tank. :) A 60x30x30 tank is a good dimenson to install one in the corner..

And indeed for a bedroom the croaking Gourami (Thrichipsis pumila) is a lovely spieces to keep.. They are lovely little curious rascals constantly investigating the invironment and quareling over terretory.. And realy croak but to hear it you need a quiet room.. It gives a lovely jungle like ambient.. It sounds a bit like the sound of a Magpie bird, but much less noisy ofcourse. And i a well planted jungle tank it is not uncommen to have fry survive.

This is shalleri, but pumila is bit smaller and more common and very equal.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go for something with a decent aspect ratio i.e. not square or a cube. Something like the Ciano Aqua 60 LED you're thinking about buying would perhaps be a good choice. I think it's easier to create a more natural looking environment.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I think I definitely want some croaking gouramis :D but it's a toss up between the Ciano Aqua 60 and the AquaEl Leddy 60. Both have 8w LED, are both roughly 60x30x30, and very similar prices. Can anyone see why one would be better than the other? The Ciano 60 seems to have space to add another optional LED strip but seems like it's possible to grow plants anyway with care. So...how do I pick :eek:

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I think I definitely want some croaking gouramis :D but it's a toss up between the Ciano Aqua 60 and the AquaEl Leddy 60. Both have 8w LED, are both roughly 60x30x30, and very similar prices. Can anyone see why one would be better than the other? The Ciano 60 seems to have space to add another optional LED strip but seems like it's possible to grow plants anyway with care. So...how do I pick :eek:
Hello Miss Pepper.
I currently have a planted Ciano 80. Please be aware that the lid on this tank comes with an LED light and a slot for another. You can and should buy the ciano plant light compatible with this tank for an extra £30. This will bring your lighting to medium to medium high-ish. This is way more than enough to grow s repens, ludwigia, elodea, crypts, bucephalandra, mosses anubias, even hair grass. The filter is inaudible, but IMHO, insufficient. If I were you, I'd upgrade it with some Eheim substratPro and floss and stay away for the cartridges. Don't worry too much about filter capacity, because in a planted tank a strong big filter might end up outcompeting your plants (but not algae) for ammonium and nitrites (plants use these first, it takes plants some effort to metabolize nitrates). Heater is usually a Resun (chinese hit or miss brand). Up to you if you want to replace it. Be gentle with the plastic lid, it likes to snap. Look into an Eheim Liquid Doser (basically an autofeeder with a liquul tank that drips about 0.9ml per cycle, up to 8x doses per day.

You can and should buy the ciano plant light compatible with this tank for an extra £30.

Thanks very much Mihai! Do you use the plant light? It looks very pink which I'm not sure I like, is it better for the plants than just another one of the white strips? I actually have some Eheim filter media in my fx5 so I will just pinch a bit of that! But glad to hear it's quiet :) I'll look into the doser, that can always be a later upgrade but not something I'd thought of yet thanks.

Thanks very much Mihai! Do you use the plant light? It looks very pink which I'm not sure I like, is it better for the plants than just another one of the white strips? I actually have some Eheim filter media in my fx5 so I will just pinch a bit of that! But glad to hear it's quiet :) I'll look into the doser, that can always be a later upgrade but not something I'd thought of yet thanks.
The plant light on its own makes your tank look like a stoner's apartment. Combined with the white light it really makes the colors pop. For both the plants and fish.

It's marginally better for the plants and it makes colors pop when used in conjunction with a white strip. If used on its own, it makes the tank look pink and purple. I don't regret buying mine, although I feel it's about £10-15 overpriced. *Sorry for the double reply, i thought the first didn't go through.

It's marginally better for the plants and it makes colors pop when used in conjunction with a white strip. If used on its own, it makes the tank look pink and purple. I don't regret buying mine, although I feel it's about £10-15 overpriced. *Sorry for the double reply, i thought the first didn't go through.

Hey that's great info thanks! Yes was a bit worried the pink would be too dominant and make the bedroom look a bit dodgy ;) I'm getting the tank somewhere local so I'll ask them if they can order me one in :D

Hey that's great info thanks! Yes was a bit worried the pink would be too dominant and make the bedroom look a bit dodgy ;) I'm getting the tank somewhere local so I'll ask them if they can order me one in :D
Looks like this with the pink and white together

Attachments

• IMG_20181001_181822.jpg
    IMG_20181001_181822.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 267
Looks like this with the pink and white together
Thanks, you've been really helpful. Is that your tank? Plants are looking lovely and healthy! Picked up both the tank and the plant light today. Will get some more bits next payday! Might do a journal so people can point out where I'm going wrong haha

When you get to seven tanks in your bedroom, you get used to the noise! Although I definitely think a tank with an internal sump will keep it quiet!

I had pygmy Gouramis at one stage, out of my group of four, the one male killed the rest eventually. In a well planted 45cm tank. Maybe this species is better, but just keep it in mind that these can be mean :)

Thanks, you've been really helpful. Is that your tank? Plants are looking lovely and healthy! Picked up both the tank and the plant light today. Will get some more bits next payday! Might do a journal so people can point out where I'm going wrong haha
Why yes ma'am that is my Ciano80. It takes the same lights as yours. But I got some el cheapo submersible lights off amazon to supplement the lights. I'm still dialing in nutrients to fix a greenspot algae problem and my amano shrimp seem lazy. Otherwise, no issues. Best advice I've ever heard is to embrace your tap water and build your tank around it when stocking with plants and fish.

Back