• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Poison dart frog vivariums

No idea how i'm going to fit all this into the tank.

That variegated bromeliad in particular is a monster!

45564292861_1868d41a37_b.jpg
plant order by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

It dries out pretty well between mistings - especially with the increased ventilation area in the lid.

I'm planning on adding internal recirculation via a glass 'tunnel' covering the 3 x 105mm exits at the rear of the tank and a large PC fan with high CFN running low velocity so it's just moving the air within the tank.

The smart switch / distribution board was a time consuming / expensive / stressful failure -resorted to simple plugs and plug in timers.... but we have to try these things right? :)

Many thanks :)

I have two others that i've just started on, i'm hoping to start scaping these before 2019 :)

So i'll be adding another species of Oophaga pumilio (hopefully this year) to another vivarium, on my short list so far are :

Oophaga pumilio 'Escudo'

1b906ab576fac1f19c86648fb78f582d.jpg

Oophaga pumilio 'isla colon'

9033587854_7af502fb9d_b.jpg

Oophaga pumilio 'cristobal'

aga%20pumilio%29%20%22San%20Cristobal%22%20morph-L.jpg

An interesting point about the escudo, they are one of the smallest species of dart frog to exist, with a fully grown adult averaging 15mm. They're also considered being re-classified by the scientific community away from the pumilio family.

Wow, nice thread with lot of explaining pictures ! Thanks for sharing Gex !!!
It's beautifull !!! :clap::angelic:

Wow, nice thread with lot of explaining pictures ! Thanks for sharing Gex !!!
It's beautifull !!! :clap::angelic:

I'm glad it's been a source of information for some, appreciate the comments :)

In talks with a breeder to possibly purchase a 2.0.3 group of Oophaga pumilio 'escudo' and 0.0.3 group of Oophaga pumilio 'isla colon' in the near future.

I best crack on with these builds!

Paid a deposit to hold the 3 juvenile Isla colons for 4 weeks, so more updates as their build progresses if anyone's interested.

Attempted a rudimentary internal air circulation system that's easy, simple and effective to implement for me and others.

This basically involves a food container, a PC fan, some blu tac and a 1A PSU. The air's drawn into the container from the top vent and then returns via the same vents.

You can see the air movement in the vivarium itself through the leaves moving, this will be reduced down with either a PC fan controller to reduce the voltage input or a slightly smaller fan (current one is 80mm).

Take the Dog
Take the Wood

tough call :confused:

though I’m thinking the Dog just might win :p

Awesome wood collection!

Back