• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help with aquascape ROOM design (College edition!)

DutchMuch

I for a while now have been wanting to quote on quote, "re-design" this entire wall of my room because i mean, well isn't it self explainable? its not, wow look at that art and science! its more like "holy blahblahblahblah thats a mess"

Even with everything all cleaned up (this is how it normally looks, messy, little storage space) it all looks.... I don't know how to explain it well, but it all looks unappealing. Its just "That" side of the room...?

Here are the images:

wCyA5NP.jpg

1FgYqRl.jpg

0Fsns17.jpg

I'm really not a good "furniture" designer, however i am willing to Build, which is what i really plan on doing. Making some sort of, something, to make this all nice and minimalist.

I have a college budget, so imagine that, but what can i do design wise to this side of the room?

Get a kitchen fitter to build you a full width unit including sink and thermostatic taps at one end. RO unit if you need it. Reinforced for the larger tank(s) you will obviously need once the work is complete!

Get a kitchen fitter to build you a full width unit including sink and thermostatic taps at one end. RO unit if you need it. Reinforced for the larger tank(s) you will obviously need once the work is complete!
i cant tell if this is sarcasm or not
clearly in the title this says college budget.

Can you attach stuff to the wall or does it need to be free standing?

Can you attach stuff to the wall or does it need to be free standing?
i believe i can attach to wall... you mean like shelves?
i was thinking just 1 huge wall width dresser that has opening doors and such. That would be a fairly easy build project just take time.

how about doing a scaffolding style shelving unit/bench? pretty cheap and i think the industrial look would fit in well

or the quick and easy option of some half height racking which you could dress up a bit to look better

I actually think @goldscapes solution is a great idea and achievable on a tight budget.
Take a trip to IKEA, I'm sure they will have a solution you can hack for minimum cost. For instance, you could build a frame yourself from timber and fit IKEA doors etc. It's what I'd do in white.
It will give you very clean lines, that will redirect the emphasis back to your scapes, and large and convenient storage space, to hide all the necessary stuff.
Failing that a basic bench woud perhaps be the next best solution. It should be easy and relatively cheap to construct.

I actually think @goldscapes solution is a great idea and achievable on a tight budget.
Take a trip to IKEA, I'm sure they will have a solution you can hack for minimum cost. For instance, you could build a frame yourself from timber and fit IKEA doors etc. It's what I'd do in white.
It will give you very clean lines, that will redirect the emphasis back to your scapes, and large and convenient storage space, to hide all the necessary stuff.
Failing that a basic bench woud perhaps be the next best solution. It should be easy and relatively cheap to construct.
yea what i meant was that an RODI unit us about 300$+/- and thats about my Entire budget. (in response to "golden")

As for your idea, i really like it, i will have to price check how much ikea doors and such cost but even if they are a bit pricey i could wait and save.

Only thing i see an issue (in general) is the physical challenge that i hoped to Never see again...

My 40b, 3" of thick condensed substrate, fish i cannot catch to remove, plants i cannot uproot, heavy heavy heavy! We have moved this tank many times and every time its completely awful. The last time we moved it, when we moved to georgia, my grandfather Literally almost broke his back (the situation was extremely dangerous, on stairs) and he fell over, and the tank dropped- and then we had to go up another pair of Steeper, Longer stairs and.... Holy shi* i dont think ive had a more Intense, dangerous situation in my life.

SO now i'd have to move it again, to redo the flooring under this project but even if im just moving this tank 10ft its a Extreme project! Definitely takes a full day. As for the smaller ones, thats easy lol

how about doing a scaffolding style shelving unit/bench? pretty cheap and i think the industrial look would fit in well

or the quick and easy option of some half height racking which you could dress up a bit to look better
hmm I am sure the idea could turn out nice however im not a industrial theme person, more slick and modern. So as tim said i'd probably end up going with that but ill have to see if i can, i think the idea of me building one giant long connected dresser is probably the idea ill go with over the course of this year.

I'd look at ebay or even local facebook groups. You can often get very cheap cupboard carcasses and worktop. I would put a nice wood (or whatever your preference) kitchen worktop the full length with the goal of putting all your tank nicely spaced on it. Build cheap and ugly supports - use the wall for fixing and you can space them to match the tank weight and even put the existing stand under if you match the height. You can then put a nice front on to hide the supports and all the kit will go underneath again hidden. Run holes down through the top for wiring and pipes. You'll save money just having a front and a top rather than a free standing cupboard and it will look neat.

I'd look at ebay or even local facebook groups. You can often get very cheap cupboard carcasses and worktop. I would put a nice wood (or whatever your preference) kitchen worktop the full length with the goal of putting all your tank nicely spaced on it. Build cheap and ugly supports - use the wall for fixing and you can space them to match the tank weight and even put the existing stand under if you match the height. You can then put a nice front on to hide the supports and all the kit will go underneath again hidden. Run holes down through the top for wiring and pipes. You'll save money just having a front and a top rather than a free standing cupboard and it will look neat.
i agree with this idea, i will pretty much make a full length wall (idk how else to word it) dresser with flashy modern doors etc.

Well it seems ive found my new years project for this year haha

DutchMuch

I have designed more pieces of furniture than I would like to remember. Its easy to make something cheap and nasty, problem is it looks shocking.
You have said you are on a Budget, what is your Budget? I have seen some DIY horrors on several Aquarium Forums but the builder thinks they are fantastic.

I had a look at Ikea not actually suitable it's either size or strong enough for several tanks. Its not cheap for what you get.

Keith :wave::wave:

DutchMuch

I have designed more pieces of furniture than I would like to remember. Its easy to make something cheap and nasty, problem is it looks shocking.
You have said you are on a Budget, what is your Budget? I have seen some DIY horrors on several Aquarium Forums but the builder thinks they are fantastic.

I had a look at Ikea not actually suitable it's either size or strong enough for several tanks. Its not cheap for what you get.

Keith :wave::wave:
yea since this would be DIY, and im a Very handy type guy, it would be a nice slow project thats fun and enjoyable, kind of like making a really big DIY ADA stand. Thats the best example i can think of haha.

My budget... im not really sure yet, i really want to say 300$ or around it, its flexible but thats my median i think.

Depending on the style your after you could DIY the stand and line it with planks from pellets or similar for a more rustic look, invest in a nice sheet of ply for the top so it’s flat however and use a clear sealer to protect from water spills and keep the exposed timber look.
Something with exposed timber may suit that room better and lining the face with pellets/planks your joinery skills wouldn’t have to be spot on.

DutchMuch

In Aust $ that's about $420 you can buy a lot of construction timber for that. You are going to have a very good range of tools and know how to use them safely. I just watched a DIY using a Router its a wonder he was not electrocuted. I had to teach safety when using power tools for many years. Some of the DIY gives me the shudders. One of the best was using a small Chain Saw it should have never been allowed on a DIY video.

Keith:wave::wave:

DutchMuch

In Aust $ that's about $420 you can buy a lot of construction timber for that. You are going to have a very good range of tools and know how to use them safely. I just watched a DIY using a Router its a wonder he was not electrocuted. I had to teach safety when using power tools for many years. Some of the DIY gives me the shudders. One of the best was using a small Chain Saw it should have never been allowed on a DIY video.

Keith:wave::wave:
howdy keith,
thanks for the time your spending on this i appreciate it :)

I have *unlimited* tools, you should see my garage (its actually a barn, turned into a work shop)

Yea... i know what you mean- i cringe at that as well.
Do not fear i am not a budget trash builder who uses his 1995 dish washer in the present day after "fixing it" 9 times instead of buying a new one! (eeeh not that there's nothing wrong with that if you do it right, hey whatever floats your boat i guess i prefer new over old)

Ill try to keep this thread updated over the year- first of course i got to get supplies etc which will take a while with work and such.

Well, i ran the idea of a wall length (i literally dont know what to call it at this point) "cabinet/dresser/table thing" by the higher authority and they said its a great idea and it can be funded partly by them as well

tada didnt expect the funding part thats nice

tldr this will happen!

Q:
What nice smooth wood (or that i can sand down) can i use for the tops and sides of this build, because i want it to have a Nice color, plan on painting it caribou brown, and i want it Very smooth...? any ideas?

Higher authority said to go look at "Countertops" and immediately i imaged keiths words in my mind *insert ghost voice here* "Dont be a redneck naaate, you can dooo thiiis...... Make this sh* ADA slick style....."

Lol though the higher authority was suggestion to use quartz countertops
as you can he/she is... a bit of a DIY person that keith previously described.... lololol

Edit:

I found out what to use for the outer layer, 3/4" plywood under vinyl

Last edited:
Back