• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP- What type is this?

Bopowarls

Hi,

This has just started growing on the one rock. Any idea what it is and how I can get rid.

Novice here. Thanks for the support.

Owen
20190124_141329.jpg

Hi
As long as there is light and some minimal nutrients algae will grow on surfaces.Its inevitable .As long as is not fuzzy I quite like it as gives age appearance .If U dont like it scrub it off with toothbrush or small wire brush or spot dose it with liquid carbon and the scrub it.All those spotles aquasscapes with clean hardscape are achieved with good tank maintenance.
Spotlessly clean tank hardscape is a bit OCD for me.lol
Regards Konsa

Hi all,
As long as is not fuzzy I quite like it as gives age appearance
As long as there is light and some minimal nutrients algae will grow on surfaces. Its inevitable .
I agree with @Konsa, all rock surfaces <"are naturally green">, you only get clean rock if you have a mechanism for removing the "periphyton", the patina of green algae.

Removal can be mechanical, or various snails will graze it off. Have a look at <"The Green Cliffs">.

This is from @Themuleous's thread <"All hail the the nerite snail">

rockalgae-resize-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

OK so nothing to worry about?
You're right, nothing to worry about at all. I think that a patina of green algae covering rocks can add to the naturalness of a scape and also add a sense of age.
I also think that scrubbing rocks is kind of like Cnut trying to turn the tide...and eventually you'll give it up as a waste of time.

Back