• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA VS SEACHEM FERTS

Fred13

Hello,

I am going to use (for the first time) the Amazonia Soil substrate system and i am wondering about the ferts that i should use along with them.
The easy answer is "lets try ada ferts.." but they are so expensive for long term use...

I want to ask you if i can exchange ada K and ada no3 with the seachem similarly products , seachem potassium and seachem nitrogen. I think of dividing the dose and split it to 6 days .

I may use the ada ferts for traces and iron though.

Thank you,
Fred

I'd say look into EI dosing with dry salts. Maybe use a commercial product for micros
Or just use EI salts/ferts :angelic:
Hello and thank you,

Tbh i am more into liquid ferts.. I keep reading though the common say that if you go with the ADA substrate system you should also follow their fertilization guide and products.. Is that truth or a myth?
Why not for example use a potassium from another company? Or a nitrogen fert from another company..

Hi all,
There is a reason most places only sell liquid ferts as there isn't much profit in the salts as they last so long per purchase. Plants don't care about brand, but your pocket will
I noticed that the composition of Baby Bio Orchid food is exactly half of that of Baby Bio, respectively...
  • NPK 5.3-2.2-0.85
  • NPK 10.6-4.4-1.7
And that Baby Bio is £0.50 cheaper. Just add half the recommended dose for orchids...
That is the truth, advertising blurb will talk about "ease of use" and "handy", which is true and these will be the most important points for some people, but the bottom line is that are all aiming to sell you the most expensive water on the planet.

cheers Darrel

Not true
We had a faith healer here selling bottles " holy water":watching:
But cheaper than printer ink :eek:
Hi all,
That is the truth, advertising blurb will talk about "ease of use" and "handy", which is true and these will be the most important points for some people, but the bottom line is that are all aiming to sell you the most expensive water on the planet.

cheers Darrel
I really understand your point and i know they actually sell us expensive water...
But my questions will remain the same since i am determined that i am going to use liquid ferts.. Not because salts dont work.. In the picture i am attaching is my last years scape that i used to fertilize with dry salts..
Its about ease of use..

So.. is it truth that you need those lean dosing expensive ferts from ada along with the amazonia substrate system?
If i want to lean dose every day , can i exchange ada ferts with other liquid ferts ? For example seachem ?
It is the first time that i am using the AS substrate system thats why i am somehow confused about fertilization.

Thank you in advance,
Fred

Attachments

• IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 343
ADA developed a comprehensive system (of varied complimentary components) designed to deliver a successful planted aquarium - and as business chose to charge for their products and research and development

I’ve never done a full on ADA setup as it’s above my budget, local prices were very high and supply was very hit and miss - more miss than hit for a long time now - the “local” ADA distribution has never been run as anything but a rather neglected “hobby”

I’ve seen people complain that they set up an “ADA tank” and had terrible algae problems - but then details reveal that while they used ADA soil, they didn’t follow the water change regime or ADA Stepped fertilizers etc ... which is fine but then don’t blame the algae etc issues on ADA

I’m a proponent of lean dosing - it grows healthy plants with minimal algae just fine
I find it incomprehensible that so many want to add loads of excess nutrient & salts to their aquariums ... but that’s my biochemist bias ;)

I prefer Seachem’s Aqua Vitro line, but it seems to have limited distribution

Hi all,
If i want to lean dose every day , can i exchange ada ferts with other liquid ferts ? For example seachem ?
You can, you can just dilute the fertiliser or use a smaller volume.
I’m a proponent of lean dosing.....I find it incomprehensible that so many want to add loads of excess nutrient & salts to their aquariums ..
Same for me, I want my plants in growth, but ideally fairly slowly.

cheers Darrel

Look in to making your own all in one ferts and then you can dose accordingly lower and higher as you see fit I made this mix up and it almost exactly matches the TNC ferts and now where near there costs but you can change the mix as you please for leaner dosing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190213-194617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190213-194617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 512
I find it incomprehensible that so many want to add loads of excess nutrient & salts to their aquariums ... but that’s my biochemist bias

In our defence I would compare our dosing excess ferts to Vitamin supplements for better personal health, the vast majority of folk who take vitamins dont need them to maintain their health yet a muilti million pound industry preys on the individuals insecurity that they 'may' benefit from them, the excess Vits do no harm or benefit but it gives the individual the confidence they are doing all they can. Noobs like me in the hobby dont have the years of experience of you or @dw1305 and many others OFC so we dose in excess to try and prevent issues and for the cost for the hobby the cost of the ferts is minor if your using salts or DIY EI ferts, all my water goes on the garden or in the pond also. As the years pass I sure my dosing ferts will decrease as my confidence/experience increases

Hi all, You can, you can just dilute the fertiliser or use a smaller volume.Same for me, I want my plants in growth, but ideally fairly slowly.

cheers Darrel
For example seachem potassium suggests to add k 2 or 3 times per week . Should I divide the dose up to 6 days instead of 3 and achieve similar results ?

Hi all,
Should I divide the dose up to 6 days instead of 3 and achieve similar results ?
You can do.
Noobs like me in the hobby dont have the years of experience of you or @dw1305 and many others OFC so we dose in excess to try and prevent issues and for the cost for the hobby the cost of the ferts is minor if your using salts or DIY EI ferts
I'm not knocking it, I'm great believer in if something works keep on doing it. It isn't an approach I'd take, but I'm a pretty shoddy aquarium keeper and tend to follow the path of least resistance.

To use Richard Dawkin's analogy in <"Climbing Mount Improbable">, I've reached my summit but it is a pretty low altitude one. I'll never have tanks of anything like the aesthetic quality of those shown on this forum.

cheers Darrel

sell you the most expensive water on the planet.
I am reminded of a man in Sydney who sold bottles of sea water for crazy prizes to un-suspecting beach goers. It was called "Smell of the Sea" or something and you were meant to put it on your hair!

While ADA products are expensive, they do work with their system. It's like the Apple products of the aquarium world.

I also think ADA introduced classy products like rimless clear aquariums and minimal look setups. Their services to the industry as a whole is enormous. Some of the great youtube scapers have been directly inspired by ADA.

Hi all,
While ADA products are expensive............. ADA introduced classy products like rimless clear aquariums and minimal look setups. Their services to the industry as a whole is enormous. Some of the great youtube scapers have been directly inspired by ADA.
I'm not disagreeing, but I think fertilisers are a bit different, because aesthetics aren't involved.

cheers Darrel

I think the thread heading maybe should read Ada and Seachem fertilisers instead of versus. All makes are basically the same its cost, time etc which you use. As l learned on UKAPS plants need certain nutrients and it's all about method not some magic ingredient. If the method you choose works? If it ain't broke

Back