• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila pinnatifida issue

I've grown perfectly healthy H. pinnatifida in hard water. From what I can remember AG manage to grow it well in their showroom tanks and the water in that area is very hard. I think also the leaves would be showing signs of chlorosis if it were iron deficiency.

Just got round to checking the water reports and yes AG water is very simular if not slightly harder than mine, Some of my other plants are showing slight signs of chlorosis which I am putting down to my ADA AS losing its acidic buffering capicity so have some Fe DTPA on its way. Tanks have been getting slightly cloudly as the week goes on after WC which I'm putting down to the Fe EDTA precipitating out in the high pH.

Thanks @Tim Harrison its your post that got me to spot the early signs of chlorosis in my tank :thumbup:

But I am still getting this melting of leaves on my H. pinnatifida, on older leaves had it for some time even with Full EI dose and a Luxury EI dose too. Flow and CO2 is not the issue I have, But get the Iron right first.

And here is the tank as of 1 hour ago!

Ignore the Twinstar bubbler below the lily pipe. It's not mine. I'm simply trying it out as I like the view of the bubbles it makes lol

Tank turnover/flow seems a tad on the low side with the lower plants not moving much at all, having a lot of plants ( which looks good OFC) does reduce the turnover in the tank which leads to flow issues and as @ceg4048 tells us Flow is King in the high tech tank

The water at AG

upload_2019-3-15_18-54-30.jpeg

Tank turnover/flow seems a tad on the low side with the lower plants not moving much at all, having a lot of plants ( which looks good OFC) does reduce the turnover in the tank which leads to flow issues and as @ceg4048 tells us Flow is King in the high tech tank

Totally agree. It's a concern I've had since the begining to be honest and never got to fix this. My pre-filter is loaded with 1 coarse, 1 medium, 1 fine sponge and 3 consecutive floss pads. I think I will remove either the coarse sponge or 2 of the floss pads which are probably slowing down flow. Perhaps also changing the lily pipe for a straight old outflow pipe will increase flow and movement. What do you think?

They are growing like crazy and branching out wherever they can. This said I have 3 major stems which close to reaching the surface. How would you trim them and when?The three of them or only one or 2. Here is a short video I made.

Depends what your after.
1. Tall plant, big leaves - I would up root trim off bottom and replant - best done just before WC
2. Small compact growth with smaller leaves- trim(pinch ) tops off just after the node of the height your after and then they will send out side shoots.

My pre-filter is loaded with 1 coarse, 1 medium, 1 fine sponge and 3 consecutive floss pads.

I would ( and did in mine) take out the 1 fine sponge and 3 consecutive floss pads. Read bio media for fluval 305 Clive nails it IMO,
Plan on doing some Full tank shots for compilation then using some floss to polish the water first not an issue. Flow is King

Depends what your after.
1. Tall plant, big leaves - I would up root trim off bottom and replant - best done just before WC
2. Small compact growth with smaller leaves- trim(pinch ) tops off just after the node of the height your after and then they will send out side shoots.
Thanks.

I would ( and did in mine) take out the 1 fine sponge and 3 consecutive floss pads. Read bio media for fluval 305 Clive nails it IMO,
Plan on doing some Full tank shots for compilation then using some floss to polish the water first not an issue. Flow is King
Why removing all the floss and not leaving at least 1?

Why removing all the floss and not leaving at least 1?

Why leave one it will only reduce the filter output and we dont need it for biological surface area so take them all out max the flow/tank turnover with the filter you have, give it time 4-6weeks if the tank picks up then you could add one back but I dont see the need to have any fine filters that clog up which can massively reduce the filters output which if you depend on the filters output for tank turnover you asking for trouble esp if/when you go on holiday

One thing I don’t understand about this plant. It slowly dies underwater in my high tech set up despite ample, light, CO2 ferts etc. It happily grows out of the surface of the same tank?

280b7d18318fe86702099d8dd3d607b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I don’t understand about this plant. It slowly dies underwater in my high tech set up despite ample, light, CO2 ferts etc. It happily grows out of the surface of the same tank?

CO2 dude. Pinna is very finicky sometimes. Usually it's CO2 but sometimes ferts.

Well I guess it just wasn’t going to grow for me. Using an in line reactor and even the plants getting a full blast from the reactor out let slowly died. Drop checker light green. Tricky plant, very jealous of those who grow it like a weed!

Back