• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration Quandary

I want to set up a small 10L Nano for primarily Moss balls and some Java moss. Although I have the equipment I want to run it without heating and filtration if I can. The plan being to do 50% water changes every week.

I have a couple of 200L rain water butts in the garden I plan to use for the tank water. The problem is the water has a very very slight yellow tinge to it that I’d like to remove. The butt I took the water from was emptied and thoroughly cleaned out about 4 months ago so I’ve no idea why the water is discoloured, probably some critters have got in. Both butts have fairly good lids on them.

Is there any simple way I can pre filter this water to remove the colour before I top up the tank?

I do have an external filter I could set up on a “reservoir” for top ups but this seems a bit OTT to be honest.

I’m half resigned to getting a small HOB filter for the tank but I’d rather avoid it if I can.

Hi
If U add a bag of Purigen in the filter will take the stain out.
Or small £5 internal filter in bucket before adding to the tank.
Regards Konsa

I’m not sure what you have in mind but we set up the same kind of tank at Aquarium Gardens

The moss balls will need co2 so bear that in mind, Filter for flow to move that around (you could use an Eheim skim 350).

Shrimp will be super important.

Concentrate on blasting with a turkey baster to remove waste organics when doing a water change. As big as possible (all the way down) and with such a small tank 2 water changes one after the other really helps.

The moss balls really attract green hair algae hence high maintenance.

Floating plants are brilliant to remove excess nutrients.

Dose with ferts very lightly.

Hope that helps.

S.

Initial video here

How it has evolved (much less moss balls due to their alagae magnetic abilities!)

Thanks. Could I use liquid carbon like Flourish Excel rather then CO2? I’m trying to keep things simple.

Thanks. I’m not adverse to CO2 if it’s really needed. The Tropica Nano system looks good or are there any other 95g disposables I should look at?

Not at that price I’m afraid. The more expensive ones and you may as well invest in a full regulator set up. They’ll work out cheaper in the long run than the more permanent disposable set up ones, if that makes sense!

I've got moss balls in two different tanks, doing fine for about two years now, with no injected CO2 and no 'liquid carbon'.
Mine attract mulm rather than algae, I have snails, so maybe they keep the algae at bay. The mulm I shake off and siphon up at water change time, and put the ball back with the other side facing upwards so each side gets a turn in the light.

Not at that price I’m afraid. The more expensive ones and you may as well invest in a full regulator set up. They’ll work out cheaper in the long run than the more permanent disposable set up ones, if that makes sense!

How long do you think a 95g cylinder will last on a 10L Nano? I’m assuming I’d turn it on in the morning then off at night.

I’ve already got a full size gauge set and valve somewhere but I’d rather not go down that route for a little 10L Nano!

Back