• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do I need to start a nano planted tank?

Sean Bugeja

Seedling
Hey everyone. I'm interested in starting a 50litre nano planted tank. Can anyone advise me what I need?

I'm not new to the hobby. Currently have a thriving 230 litre tank with co2 injection and dosing the ei method.

My question is would I need to inject co2 into the nano or would liquid ferts be enough.

Thanks

Would prefer a low tech to be honest. Would the soil be enough? That would be awesome

With co2 injection or no need for co2?

This depends on the plants you are looking to keep whether you need to use co2 injection, if you want to keep a low tech tank you won't use co2 as its co2 injection that makes a tank high tech if i'm not mistaken. You will just be dosing ferts to keep plants free from deficiency's and have slower growth making for easier maintenance.

I started off with the intention of keeping a low tech tank when I started a planted tank set up but then i saw what even a small amount of co2 does to the health of the plants, mainly how much greener they look.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Would prefer a low tech to be honest. Would the soil be enough? That would be awesome
The soil would be depleted of essential nutrients over time...therefore its best you add root tablets about 6months into the life of the new set-up!
A weekly All in One fertilizer would be the norm...if running low tech;)
hoggie

All determined by plant choice. As you would prefer a low tech choose the plants and scape accordingly. It will be easier to do a Ryoboku class NA style than an Iwagumi, but it’s still achievable and I have done so myself.

Get a light (I don’t know which one maybe someone can advise you) a filter (I think at least 5 times turnover), a heater, aquasoil, hardscape, plants and an all in one fertiliser or do 1/4 EI or something. Dose with a 50% water change weekly and hope for the best. Plant choice wise, see what works for others and then stick with what works. Good luck!

Back