• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Africana- No cycling required ?

Jack Reilly

If I’m using Africana with root tabs and I have an established filter is cycling required ? Or can I add fish immediately after scaping the tank ? It’s my understand Africana doesn’t leech ammonia like Amazonia does.

why rush mate?

Give your new scape time to settle in,
Are you using co2 as this will need time to settle and tune -in to where you want it?

Putting too much pressure on your system too quickly is always a bad recipe!

In theory you are correct. Bear in mind that AFricana will lower pH to very low values. It's worth checking that but otherwise yes you can add fish immediately if the filter is cycled. I would however be cautious in the few 4 weeks incase the filter dies due to the extremes of pH.

why rush mate?

Give your new scape time to settle in,
Are you using co2 as this will need time to settle and tune -in to where you want it?

Putting too much pressure on your system too quickly is always a bad recipe!

Hi soggy,

I’m in no rush but I’ve only got one tank as it’s a small apartment. The fish will be in a big bucket during rescaping (with heater and filter), so the sooner they can be reintroduced the better.

I am using co2 but as it’s already tuned in for this aquarium I’d only be adjusting it down slightly for lower plant mass, it should be pretty straight forward.

The current scape has been running for a while now and the soil is starting to breakdown so it seems a good time to rescape.

Last edited:
In theory you are correct. Bear in mind that AFricana will lower pH to very low values. It's worth checking that but otherwise yes you can add fish immediately if the filter is cycled. I would however be cautious in the few 4 weeks incase the filter dies due to the extremes of pH.

Hi rebel,

Does it lower it by that much ? I thought Malaya was the one that lowered ph significantly. I’ll have to do the maths on Africana and see where it will put me. My tap water is about 7ph.

Last edited:
My guess is that you should be okay - just change the water as much as you can initially.

I have recently used Africana under some Amazonia- partly to lower the PH a bit. Quite like it, much harder than Amazonia so should last a while.

Back