• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL Inline difuser issues

gcodrutv

Hi all,

As previously advised on one of the threads, it seems that the JBL inline diffusers have a design flaw and they need an additional rubber gasket to be added to reduce the bubble size.

Following this advice, I bought a ceramic replacement that came with 2 rubber gaskets. After replacing the existing ceramic diffuser with the new one and add second gasket, I end up having a very fine mist in the tank (7up look).

I never had this issue before adding the extra gasket. Before I had some small bubbles coming from spray bar from time to time (not constant).

I was looking at Zeus (Olympus is calling) setup with APS booster filters used as reactors, but space won't allow me to use this setup.

If I use some 2" pipe (I have almost 50cm height available) and build a similar setup will reduce the mist in the tank?

Now I'm using 2 diffusers on the 2 externals output.

The distance from diffuser to the spray bar is about 1.6m long.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I really could never get the extra o ring to work without leaking. The CO2 reactor is the way to go, you can get it so there are zero bubbles. You might be able to use a longer hose all coiled up after the diffuser to get same effect.

Main problem is the reduction in flow you will get to your filter. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I use some 2" pipe (I have almost 50cm height available) and build a similar setup will reduce the mist in the tank?

IMO depends on the flow in the 2inch pipe- if the flow is high it will force the bubbles down and out. Wider the pipe the better. One thing I have noticed with my reactor setup the speed of the pH drop isnt water flow though the rectors dependant, having the bypass fully open or closed makes little to no difference! only problem is it needs more plumbing to have a bypass OFC

@TBRO - did not have any issues fitting the second o-ring. No leaks at all. Just an annoying really fine mist all over the tank.

@Zeus. - I would like to thank you for sharing your tank build, I used it as reference when I start building mine.

After getting fed up with the mist, I put one of the old diffuser in 6% hydrogen peroxide solution for 30min and came out clean as new (been in use for almost 4months) and replaced the existing one, but removing the extra seal. Result 99% bubble free tank, except when the plants are pearling.
Drop checker sits at nice pale lime green colour. With the exception when I slightly increased the bubble rate and I got solid yellow.

Back