• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pincette/tweesers

Niall

Hi can anyone explain to my why these are so expensive compared to auction site? Is it down to them lasting longer or easier not to squash plants? Thanks

My long tweezers have some sort of logo on them so I probably paid too much for them but I can’t remember. Bigger is better so I need to get some more really, mine are only 250mm long so I’m looking to get some 300’s. let us know if you get anything good.
I have seen pictures where the welding has gone on them and folks have had to put a couple of small bolts through the end! Maybe you get what you pay for?! ;)

Some of the cheap ones look very thin. I’m looking at item number 163343386787 on the auction site and they look pretty good. Very similar to the ones I have already but just a bit longer.

I have non branded ones, Tropica, dennerle and ADA.

I can certainly tell the difference!

We did a blind test with a bag of perhaps 30 tweezers and 100% could tell the difference with our eyes closed.

As others have said you get what you pay for. I would say defo worth paying the extra for decent branded ones, if for long term and feeling flush ADA is the way to go,

Ps, the ADA scissors are amazing :)

These are the ones I bought a few years back and they and the scissors are very good. Anyone recognise the brand on them?
DDE35B63-4087-4696-B42B-C7436796F14A.jpeg
FB83FE7D-A380-48F0-870F-13C1D24A9778.jpeg

Its the feel of tweesers which you have to do in person. Sadly most shops only carry one brand of tweesers. Like all things in life you get what you pay for.

I have seen pictures where the welding has gone on them and folks have had to put a couple of small bolts through the end! Maybe you get what you pay for?! ;)
@Aqua sobriquet My expensive ones broke - what a great idea - I may just do that. It saves £80 for a new set.

Hi I would advise against getting the tweezers with the angled tip. The angle always catches on the plant and they float back out of the soil while try to plant.
Yes - great point. I couldn't agree more. In fact, I tend to use medical instruments. Some of my tweezers are so sharp it makes planting a doddle. But after 4 hours of planting, even that can become difficult.

The more expensive tweesers are made from a far beter quality stainles spring steel varying from Chrome Vanadium to titanium. Made with more care and precision. The cheapo's are made from a lower quality grade steel that is much softer. Tho in my experience both can be a one in a lifetime buy.

With the cheap ones you sometimes need some recoursfullness to tackle quality issues.. For example what could happen is the the spotweld snaps and than you have 2 uselass parts. It happened to my bend tweesers and i solveld it like this.
DSC_0884.jpg

Since the material is much softer i did rebend it a bit into a proper correct gripping shape... The straight version that came with it never snapped still ok today.

It was from a cheap Banggood.com set Curved scissors, straight and bend tweesers. $10 or so. Bought 6 years ago, still don't have the feeling i bought something bad.. I guess i still will be using them 6 more years and on.. :)

Buying expensive high grade quality tools is a good thing if you are professional using it intensively or for your piece of mind if you can afford it.. :)

Using a good tool is half the work a professional tends to say.. 100% true, but using common sence with for what and how often you use it, than going cheap can save you quite a bit of money. Doing a simple calculus, bying an $80 dollar tool that lasts 10 years the least. Or buy a simmular $5 replica that lasts you a year. 10x5 is still $50 and a new one each year for the next 10 years. Buying the $80, you already lost $30 and it wears off slowly, after that you need to spend $80 again, maybe more due to economical inflation.. :thumbup:

Have to admit after being the worst offender for laughing at the price of ADA pinsettes and scissors I finally succumbed to buying one of each to try out. Scissors are excellent and make long maintenance sessions far less work due to smooth action and good ergonomics. It’s the pinsettes that cured the planting Tourette’s though. Like @Siege ADA pinsettes I could identify in a blind test and have not yet found a rival at any price. This isn’t to say it doesn’t exist, just that after shelling out trying dozens of types I’ve found a well made product that satisfies. Not looking any further.

The only other time I’ve found a use for another tool these days is tropica’s pinsettes for burying root tabs. The deeper serration of the grips holds root tab’s very firmly until appropriately buried.

Back